1GBE SFP+ to CAT6

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

alex1002

Apr 9, 2013
I am getting a nice upgrade for ISP to 1GBE, but now they will provide me with a 1GBE SFP+ and need to get into my firewall at CAT6 ethernet, can this be done?
Thank you

Aluminum

Sep 7, 2012
I am getting a nice upgrade for ISP to 1GBE, but now they will provide me with a 1GBE SFP+ and need to get into my firewall at CAT6 ethernet, can this be done?
Thank you
Not hard, just need a media converter.

Not sure if this one will work as you said SFP+ (are you sure? get exact details) but it is one of the cheapest and easiest options so I'd check into it first.

Aluminum

Sep 7, 2012
This seems to cheap. Will it work from fiber to cat6?
You need to provide precise details to get a proper answer and not spend too much. "fiber" and "1GbE SFP+" is not enough information, also doesn't quite make sense, SFP+ is meant for 10Gb.

What, exactly, is your isp giving you? Raw fiber, terminated fiber and connector type, do they use their own transceiver, etc etc. If you don't know, find out first.

Last edited:

alex1002

Apr 9, 2013
This is a business, they give me fiber SFP+ 1GBE and need to go into my sonicwall using CAT6.

dba

Feb 20, 2012
San Francisco Bay Area, California, USA
This is a business, they give me fiber SFP+ 1GBE and need to go into my sonicwall using CAT6.
SFP+ cables will work in SFP ports, but not the other way around. If the vendor confirms that it's an SFP+ port, then you'll need a SFP+ to BaseT media converter, which is likely to be dramatically more expensive than a SFP to BaseT media converter - possibly even more than a used 10G fiber switch.

alex1002

Apr 9, 2013
Placed my order do I need anything else? Why is this so cheap. I've seen others for $400-$550.

alex1002

Apr 9, 2013
Heres what I was told.
Gigabit Ethernet
1000Base-SX optic, Multi-Mode fiber
SC or LC connectors (if LC, let us know so we can provide an SC to LC jumper cable) Port settings:
Speed = 1000Mbps
Duplex = Full
Auto-negotiate - OFF / Disabled

dba

Feb 20, 2012
San Francisco Bay Area, California, USA
Heres what I was told.
Gigabit Ethernet
SC or LC connectors (if LC, let us know so we can provide an SC to LC jumper cable) Port settings:
Speed = 1000Mbps
Duplex = Full
In that case, I'd look for a 1000Base-T to 1000Base-SX media converter, preferably with SC connectors. Since you already bought an SFP media converter, you can instead buy a SFP to 1000Base-SX module, which will plug in to the SFP port of your media converter. Find what you think you need, and then feed the specs to your networking vendor for confirmation.

Last edited:

Aluminum

Sep 7, 2012
The fact they are using older and larger SC on their end makes me really doubt it is SFP+, the newer and smaller LC is way more common with 10Gb from my experience.

Its cheap because gigabit isn't really complicated anymore, been around awhile too. Ebay is awash with pallets of used/spare parts too.

If they will give you a jumper cable, an LC SFP is 4 bucks shipped on fleabay. As far as I know the tplink does not vendor lock the modules like some of my stupid HP gear.

Last edited:

alex1002

Apr 9, 2013
From carrier

Yes MMF SC connectors.
So their equipment will need:
Gigabit Ethernet
Speed = 1000Mbps
Duplex = Full

alex1002

Apr 9, 2013
The fact they are using older and larger SC on their end makes me really doubt it is SFP+, the newer and smaller LC is way more common with 10Gb from my experience.

Its cheap because gigabit isn't really complicated anymore, been around awhile too. Ebay is awash with pallets of used/spare parts too.

If they will give you a jumper cable, an LC SFP is 4 bucks shipped on fleabay. As far as I know the tplink does not vendor lock the modules like some of my stupid HP gear.
What would I plug these into?

mrkrad

Oct 13, 2012
netgear $1200~ 24 port 10gbe switches are MSA alliance as well. those $5-10 green DAC 5M cables work great ;)