18U wall mount rack enclosure

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

wiretap

Jul 14, 2015
Michigan
I'll have to measure again. I did some quick measurements with a crappy tape measure I have, and it looked like it could only hold (3) 4U chassis plus a few 1U units. Sitting next to my 22U, it barely reaches to the height of my (4) 4U servers in the other rack.

nthu9280

Feb 3, 2016
San Antonio, TX
Took me longer then I would like to admit to figure out the rail placement. If the instructions were better you could easily assemble this cabinet in 30-45 minutes. It appears the manufacturer is out of business, the web site listed on the instruction sheet does not exist.

You will need a 5mm allen key, 13mm wrench, and a philips screw driver for assembly. The couple of bent corners were early fixed with a rubber mallet.

As promised a picture of the completed box. It is sitting in my workshop till the weekend. Switch for scale.

View attachment 2797 View attachment 2798

If any one gets one and needs a little help let me know.
@dms
I finally opened the box and noticed couple of minor dings during shipping for the rails but nothing major. I got most of the assembly done. Have a quick question - did you use the additional L rails to secure the vertical posts as shown in the instructions (or lack there of) :) ? I have not tightened all the screws yet. To be able to use the L rails, I need to move the vertical posts closer

josh

Oct 21, 2013
So the real question is, can these take servers or are they really only for switches?

wiretap

Jul 14, 2015
Michigan
They can hold servers. I'll take some pictures this weekend. I test fit some 4U chassis. Granted, longer chassis will stick out the rear of the enclosure and you'll have to have the back door taken off to support it, so wall mounting would be out of the question. I'm going to put some caster wheels on the bottom of mine and just use it as a free-standing rack.

josh

Oct 21, 2013
They can hold servers. I'll take some pictures this weekend. I test fit some 4U chassis. Granted, longer chassis will stick out the rear of the enclosure and you'll have to have the back door taken off to support it, so wall mounting would be out of the question. I'm going to put some caster wheels on the bottom of mine and just use it as a free-standing rack.
What's the airflow like if I may ask too?

wiretap

Jul 14, 2015
Michigan
What's the airflow like if I may ask too?
Just like any other rack with a glass door. It depends if you plan on having the rear panel on or off as well. There is sufficient airflow for the equipment I have, plus you can add fans in the top, and rackmounted fan brackets. If you want more air intakes, you can just cut some fan holes into the sides or bottom.

mixtecinc

Feb 18, 2013
I'll have to measure again. I did some quick measurements with a crappy tape measure I have, and it looked like it could only hold (3) 4U chassis plus a few 1U units. Sitting next to my 22U, it barely reaches to the height of my (4) 4U servers in the other rack.
Could you let me know the noise level with some servers in it? could you work beside the rack? or watch tv?

Thanks

Justin

wiretap

Jul 14, 2015
Michigan
That all depends on how loud your fans in the servers are. I use PWM controlled Arctic Cooling fans in most of my computer equipment, so setting it in a living area would be fine. If you have some 1U servers with 5000RPM 40mm fans, it wouldn't be suitable. The noise still transfers out of the enclosure since it is just thin sheet metal.