18TB WD drive issue with JBOD

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

GadgetHammer

Aug 22, 2022
I have been requested to look at a strange issue for a friend and I am wondering if anyone has run into this issue before. I am going out to his site later in the week so I will be able to try to troubleshoot it then.

Basically he mines crypto using HDDs and several JBOD. The server is a simple dell 1U server, nothing to crazy or anything, its also running mint OS although I do not think my issue is in the OS. Server has a LSI SAS 2308-2 HBA which they use to connect to several supermicro JBODs. The JBODs have a mix of drives but a bulk of them are 18TB Western Digital ultrastar DC HC550 drives. Thats the set up.

Now the issue. They had a power loss on the rack the equipment is in and their UPS did not function so everything shut off. Afterwards they powered everything back on and now the controller does not see the WD drives. I got into the controller at boot and I can see all the other drives in the JBOD but none of the WD drives. We can pull the WD drives out and see them just fine on other machines.

We do not care about data, which is good since before I arrived the first time they spent a few days troubleshooting themselves and in the process they tried moving all the drives around, so if it did have any arrays it does not now. This is ok as all I need at this point is to see the 18TB drives in the JBODs.

Any ideas?