18TB Recertified Seagate Exos $189

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Bert

Mar 31, 2018

newabc

Jan 20, 2019
Free shipping and no sales tax. Lowest price at the highest capacity I have seen so far. Only problem is that it is Seagate.

2 year manufacturers warranty.

By the way, it is refurbished by manufacturer but only with ServerPartDeals' 2 year seller warranty.

geonap

Mar 2, 2021
servers parts central are the water panther guys, right? I know they have some u2 drives at great days but I will never buy drives from them again. There must be a reason why all their drives are low priced.

Reactions: Samir

Bert

Mar 31, 2018
servers parts central are the water panther guys, right? I know they have some u2 drives at great days but I will never buy drives from them again. There must be a reason why all their drives are low priced.
What is the issue with them? What do you mean by water panther?

bleomycin

Nov 22, 2014
Would also appreciate it if you elaborated more on this. I saw water panther has some outrageously cheap 8tb nvme ssd's but had never heard of them before.

newabc

Jan 20, 2019
Where is it written warranty is from the seller? I wouldn't expect any seller to give 2 year warranty.
@Samir posted a ServerPartDeals hard drive price thread (link) in May.

I got a manufacturer refurbished X16 16TB 1-2 weeks after I read this thread.
(Thank @Samir, it is working pretty well and low cost.)

This drive had no warranty from Seagate by checking Seagate's warranty page.

josh

Oct 21, 2013
SN02 firmware are shucked drives iirc. Hence the lack of official warranty and the cheap prices.

malloot

Oct 24, 2013
SN02 firmware are shucked drives iirc. Hence the lack of official warranty and the cheap prices.
The drives are listed as CMR and no mention on SN02 firmware can be found. These drives are also listed as 2 year warranty from serverpartdeals.

Looks like a very good deal, might buy some.

josh

Oct 21, 2013
The drives are listed as CMR and no mention on SN02 firmware can be found. These drives are also listed as 2 year warranty from serverpartdeals.

Looks like a very good deal, might buy some.
Look at the thumbnail. These are shucked drives from Expansions. I've got a handful of them myself.

odditory

Dec 23, 2010
@Samir posted a ServerPartDeals hard drive price thread (link) in May.

I got a manufacturer refurbished X16 16TB 1-2 weeks after I read this thread.
(Thank @Samir, it is working pretty well and low cost.)

This drive had no warranty from Seagate by checking Seagate's warranty page.
Yep I saw those drives earlier in the year and it was immediately apparent they'd have no legit warranty.

Many people don't realize the various shenanigans that go on in the secondary market (used/ebay/surplus/refurb/liquidation) for IT products, and especially harddisks. I've seen resellers that bought bulk lots of datacenter pulls with years of heavy abuse, zero out the SMART table and even reprint new glossy labels for the top of the drive with a new manufactured-on date and higher-end model number.

Grey market IT resellers doing 'creative refurbishing' to capture more margin also realized better to sell direct from their own website despite the burden and expense of SEO to drive traffic to it, to evade accountability with seller metrics and bad feedback on markets like ebay and Amazon. Google "server parts" and the list is endless: "servermonkey, serverparts4less, storagepartsdirect, serversuperstore, serversupply, pcserverandparts, serverpartswarehouse, serverworlds, serverpartstown" on and on.

Not to imply ServerPartDeals is doing anything fraudulent, but some sliding scale variant of misrepresentation, and why you have to be skeptical buying "recertified" and secondary parts in general.

Fritz

Apr 6, 2015
As far as I'm concerned, seller "refurbished", "recertified", etc. means nothing except the seller is trolling for ignorant / uninformed / noobee buyers. Especially where SSD's are concerned.

Bert

Mar 31, 2018
I think the price is still very good for used drives, I ordered some and they haven't shipped and will let you know how it goes once they arrive. For all practical purposes, these are used drives.

ano

Nov 7, 2022
would you trust them enough to put into a ceph cluster or something like sevral raidz2 pools?

nihonjin

Lost in translation
Mar 31, 2021
It's very tempting, but I wouldn't trust a seller which uses "manufacturer recertified 2 year warranty" in their ads and you have testimony here that they don't.

Reactions: dwalme and Samir