18TB HGST Ultrastar 550 $348

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Sacrilego

Retro Gamer
Jun 23, 2016
But does it matter if I don't really care about the data until I plug them in?
I think it does matter. All my drives were in good working condition when they were stored in the cabinet. After letting them sit for a couple of years, some exhibited issues regardless of if they had data or not. One of these only had about two thousand hours of use.

I believe it is possible for drives to degrade while in storage for an exceptionally long time. Also, warranty starts on the date of purchase, not the day you put it in to use.

However, if you are expecting for some drives to die within a reasonable period (like having some old drives in an array) then it's still worth keeping a few on hand to use a replacement.

This is just my humble opinion. Others might be able to provide more insight on this topic.

Reactions: Samir

josh

Oct 21, 2013
I think it does matter. All my drives were in good working condition when they were stored in the cabinet. After letting them sit for a couple of years, some exhibited issues regardless of if they had data or not. One of these only had about two thousand hours of use.

I believe it is possible for drives to degrade while in storage for an exceptionally long time. Also, warranty starts on the date of purchase, not the day you put it in to use.

However, if you are expecting for some drives to die within a reasonable period (like having some old drives in an array) then it's still worth keeping a few on hand to use a replacement.

This is just my humble opinion. Others might be able to provide more insight on this topic.
I mean if WD is confident enough that the drives will last 2 years then I expect to get at least 2 years of use out of it. So that cold spare will last me long enough to get any faulty Ultrastars RMAed.

Random question, did you store them horizontally or vertically?

Samir

Post Liker and Deal Hunter Extraordinaire!
Jul 21, 2017
HSV and SFO
But does it matter if I don't really care about the data until I plug them in?
If you turned them on and pre-cleared them before putting them on the shelf to address doa issues and then do it again before you put it in use, I think you'd be okay, but in general drives do not like to be sitting...they like to be spinning. :D

Reactions: Sacrilego

Samir

Jul 21, 2017
HSV and SFO
Here's a tip to get faster free shipping--choose the pickup at UPS access point option--this gives you free UPS ground shipping versus UPS Surepost which has last mile delivery by USPS and takes longer. I should have my drive by this time next week. :D

josh

Oct 21, 2013
Here's a tip to get faster free shipping--choose the pickup at UPS access point option--this gives you free UPS ground shipping versus UPS Surepost which has last mile delivery by USPS and takes longer. I should have my drive by this time next week. :D
Can't pick it up from another country :(
I'm contemplating getting another 2 more. I have no idea why I need 108TB of Z2 space. I was only at 6x12TB a year ago. Someone take my card away.

Samir

Jul 21, 2017
HSV and SFO
I mean if WD is confident enough that the drives will last 2 years then I expect to get at least 2 years of use out of it. So that cold spare will last me long enough to get any faulty Ultrastars RMAed.

Easystores are consumer drives and while they may have parts from the enterprise drives, I wouldn't expect them to last like their enterprise counterparts. Remember, at the time you need this drive, it had better work.

As far as storing drives, I've stored them horizontally and vertically with similar results. The vertical units are factory external drives by Seagate, Maxtor, etc.

Reactions: Sacrilego

Sacrilego

Retro Gamer
Jun 23, 2016

As Samir mentioned, if you fully test them prior to storing them, I can't really see them experiencing issues being stored for two years. Mine were stored between six and seven years and of various ages. I always store them horizontally.

josh

Oct 21, 2013
As Samir mentioned, if you fully test them prior to storing them, I can't really see them experiencing issues being stored for two years. Mine were stored between six and seven years and of various ages. I always store them horizontally.
I always do a full surface read/write/SMART/read/write cycle on every drive that I buy

Reactions: Sacrilego and Samir

Samir

Jul 21, 2017
HSV and SFO
I always do a full surface read/write/SMART/read/write cycle on every drive that I buy
That will be fine to initially determine it to be defect free, but you would probably want to do it again before you actually use it if you store it for a few years. I guess you could just run the same test again each year and warranty it if need be. And I'd basically do the same with any other drive you have on a shelf--not just this one.

josh

Oct 21, 2013
That will be fine to initially determine it to be defect free, but you would probably want to do it again before you actually use it if you store it for a few years. I guess you could just run the same test again each year and warranty it if need be. And I'd basically do the same with any other drive you have on a shelf--not just this one.
Yea I'll be doing that for sure. My drives shipped out. Some of them are 1.8 lb some of them are 1.9 lb. Any cause for concern? Sounds like they couldn't find enough same sized rocks

• Haha

Samir

Jul 21, 2017
HSV and SFO
Yea I'll be doing that for sure. My drives shipped out. Some of them are 1.8 lb some of them are 1.9 lb. Any cause for concern? Sounds like they couldn't find enough same sized rocks
Nice. I got my UPS tracking number shortly after I placed my order, but it wasn't initially recognized for tracking. I just checked it again and looks like eta is Dec 2nd and it's 1.8lbs. :D I'm actually surprised they're measuring the tenth of inches since when you're shipping you just round up on most packages even though their equipment checks the actual weight (and sends you an additional bill if it's over the size or weight on your original shipment paperwork). But UPS runs a tight ship so wouldn't expect anything less, except that since 2020 they've been getting quite sloppy compared to their usual standards.

josh

Oct 21, 2013
Nice. I got my UPS tracking number shortly after I placed my order, but it wasn't initially recognized for tracking. I just checked it again and looks like eta is Dec 2nd and it's 1.8lbs. :D I'm actually surprised they're measuring the tenth of inches since when you're shipping you just round up on most packages even though their equipment checks the actual weight (and sends you an additional bill if it's over the size or weight on your original shipment paperwork). But UPS runs a tight ship so wouldn't expect anything less, except that since 2020 they've been getting quite sloppy compared to their usual standards.
I'm quite worried about SurePost. Feels like the local courier might make off with my HDDs

• Wow

Samir

Jul 21, 2017
HSV and SFO
I'm quite worried about SurePost. Feels like the local courier might make off with my HDDs
If you've had problems with USPS carriers stealing your stuff before, it could be an issue. But it has a UPS tracking number on it, so they know it's not their package and any tampering will be subject to more review so I think you're safe.

Samir

Jul 21, 2017
HSV and SFO
I just noticed that they also have a 16TB enterprise drive for $289 which is actually cheaper than the 18TB per TB (18.0625 vs 18.278). It's a Toshiba and also has the factory Toshiba 5yr warranty--basically the 16TB version of the 18TB HGST/WD:

Some other good deals too like genuine used apple ipad chargers for $3.88, and free masks which I didn't see earlier which would have shipped free with my drive. :(

Oh and someone on another forum pointed out that with a Mr. Rebate account and purchase through that link will get you a 2% cash rebate.

Oarman

Feb 28, 2021
If you're going to buy a bunch to keep on a shelf, think about the value of the money you'll have locked up sitting there and if it's worth, basically, throwing the money in a savings account (or doing anything else with it) instead. It's a gamble but in a sane world (the last year or two, not so much) these drives get cheaper over time so a sale price now isn't necessarily a good buy price years later. If you just want to minimize time at n+0 you're probably better adding a hot spare or just +1 to your array.

Samir

Jul 21, 2017
HSV and SFO
If you're going to buy a bunch to keep on a shelf, think about the value of the money you'll have locked up sitting there and if it's worth, basically, throwing the money in a savings account (or doing anything else with it) instead. It's a gamble but in a sane world (the last year or two, not so much) these drives get cheaper over time so a sale price now isn't necessarily a good buy price years later. If you just want to minimize time at n+0 you're probably better adding a hot spare or just +1 to your array.
This is a good point, but what I've found that a solid deal will save you more than having the cash earn interest/etc and then you have to buy a drive at full price when you need it, even with prices dropping. I know this 18TB won't probably come down to this price again for another 8 months or so and if someone needed exactly this drive in a pinch, it would easily be $100 more. In a case like this, getting one now for forgoing buying at a higher price later when needed makes sense. I guess it's like 'hard drive futures', lol.

josh

Oct 21, 2013
I'm not in the US so when my array needs a drive replacement I can't just go on Amazon and buy something for next day delivery. It takes 2 weeks to ship a drive over and going to the local distributor to buy a 18TB drive will most definitely mean paying double the sale price.

Samir

Jul 21, 2017
HSV and SFO
I'm not in the US so when my array needs a drive replacement I can't just go on Amazon and buy something for next day delivery. It takes 2 weeks to ship a drive over and going to the local distributor to buy a 18TB drive will most definitely mean paying double the sale price.
Makes quite a bit of sense to get an extra in your use case--even two maybe in case one is doa when you need it.

josh

Oct 21, 2013
Makes quite a bit of sense to get an extra in your use case--even two maybe in case one is doa when you need it.
Why are they still in stock? Why does a mac seller have so many enterprise drives for sale at a deep discount? I'm worried now.