18TB Enterprise HDD $424.99

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

i386

Mar 18, 2016
Germany
>Manufacturer Recertified
Are these refurbished hdds that were used to mine chia?

EasyRhino

Aug 6, 2019
i don't know why but i'd feel weird buying a manufacturer recertified drive from a reseller.
(although ironically they have a seller refurbished listing, which is more expensive and also out of stock).

i wouldn't worry about chia mining on a true mfgr refurb drive. first of all, chia farming is very light duty (on the bulk HDD, SSD another story), and second of all, it would be an actual refurb.

Fritz

Apr 6, 2015
Some of the oldest drives I have are Seagate refurbs. I know this doesn't say anything about today's refurbs but there it is.

funkywizard

mmm.... bandwidth.
Jan 15, 2017
USA
ioflood.com
424.99 for Manufacture re-certified with a 1 year warranty
or 25$ more for new, with 5 year warranty....

has Seagate's quality come back, or they still some of the worse drives out there
"Come back"? They were the worst drives out there in 2005, 2010, and 2015.

Can't say about now because I finally learned my lesson and won't touch them ever again.

i386

Mar 18, 2016
Germany
Can't say about now because I finally learned my lesson and won't touch them ever again.
This leaves you with toshiba and wd hdds only...
After all that crap that wd tried to pull of I would not trust anything but their enterprise hdds anymore.

funkywizard

mmm.... bandwidth.
Jan 15, 2017
USA
ioflood.com
This leaves you with toshiba and wd hdds only...
After all that crap that wd tried to pull of I would not trust anything but their enterprise hdds anymore.
For the last few years I've only bought the HGST branded, or, for more recent drives, HGST-production-line WD enterprise disks.

Old school WD Black / Raid edition drives were fine too, but not relevant these days.

WD Blue was a "Seagate quality" drive model -- won't touch any of that class of drives from WD.

Reactions: T_Minus

Fritz

Apr 6, 2015
A previous warranty experience with Toshiba keeps me from ever buying one of their drives again. It took me over a year to get a replacement for a failed drive and that was with me constantly emailing and calling them. All I got was excuses. They finally did send me a replacement drive after about 14 months I believe. The best warranty experience I've had was WD. Never a problem with them. This having been said, the majority of my drives are older enterprise HGST's. As stated earlier, I have a few Seagate refurbs I've had so long I don't remember when I got them. They're 1 and 2 TB drives. HGST's have been the most dependable for me.

funkywizard

mmm.... bandwidth.
Jan 15, 2017
USA
ioflood.com
A previous warranty experience with Toshiba keeps me from ever buying one of their drives again. It took me over a year to get a replacement for a failed drive and that was with me constantly emailing and calling them. All I got was excuses. They finally did send me a replacement drive after about 14 months I believe. The best warranty experience I've had was WD. Never a problem with them. This having been said, the majority of my drives are older enterprise HGST's. As stated earlier, I have a few Seagate refurbs I've had so long I don't remember when I got them. They're 1 and 2 TB drives. HGST's have been the most dependable for me.
Yeah WD warranty is pretty easy. Samsung is mostly fine too. Everyone else seems pretty committed to not honoring their warranty if they can manage it.

kiteboarder

May 10, 2016
Hi friends, just sharing my experience since I'm reading a some negative Seagate comments here.

I have 40 (yeah) Seagate HDDs scattered purchases from the past 5-6 years, ranging from 4 TB up to 16 TB. They are various Ironwolf and Exos models, 4, 8, 10, 12, 16 TB. I have never had a single problem with any of them. All still running perfectly. Most are run in mirror ReFS storage spaces.

Counterpoint is I've had two WD surveillance drives die. They were in a Dell 1U rack server running 24x7. Didn't make it one year. WD did replace them though after I shipped them back. I will always hold a grudge there for them trying to slip shingled drives into their Red line.

So my experience is modern day Seagate drives work just fine and are perfectly reliable. That being said - all HDDs eventually die. Use your 3/2/1 backup strategy and sleep well at night.

Today's price for an X18 is $435 direct from Seagate through Amazon.

Reactions: Jason Antes

Jason Antes

Feb 28, 2020
Twin Cities
Hi friends, just sharing my experience since I'm reading a some negative Seagate comments here.

I have 40 (yeah) Seagate HDDs scattered purchases from the past 5-6 years, ranging from 4 TB up to 16 TB. They are various Ironwolf and Exos models, 4, 8, 10, 12, 16 TB. I have never had a single problem with any of them. All still running perfectly. Most are run in mirror ReFS storage spaces.

Counterpoint is I've had two WD surveillance drives die. They were in a Dell 1U rack server running 24x7. Didn't make it one year. WD did replace them though after I shipped them back. I will always hold a grudge there for them trying to slip shingled drives into their Red line.

So my experience is modern day Seagate drives work just fine and are perfectly reliable. That being said - all HDDs eventually die. Use your 3/2/1 backup strategy and sleep well at night.

Today's price for an X18 is $435 direct from Seagate through Amazon.
Best deal on that Amazon page is the 14TB models at $23.14/TB. The 18TB are $24.28/TB.

Spearfoot

Apr 22, 2015
Beware buying disks on Amazon, my friends! Amazon has become just another bazaar with fly-by-night operators ready to take advantage of the 'Amazon' reputation.

Example: the 16TB Seagate EXOS disks currently touted on the Amazon link above are sold to you by none other than... wait for it... Price Master Jay! From Hong Kong! Yes! I'm sure he's selling legitimate product with a full 5-year manufacturer's warranty! </sarcasm>
pricemaster-jay.jpg
Seriously, though... be careful buying disks on Amazon; make sure you know who you're actually dealing with. Some of the sellers are okay -- Provantage LLC is one such. But you might as well just buy from Provantage directly and cut out the middle man.

Rain

May 13, 2013
Beware buying disks on Amazon, my friends! Amazon has become just another bazaar with fly-by-night operators ready to take advantage of the 'Amazon' reputation.

Example: the 16TB Seagate EXOS disks currently touted on the Amazon link above are sold to you by none other than... wait for it... Price Master Jay! From Hong Kong! Yes! I'm sure he's selling legitimate product with a full 5-year manufacturer's warranty! </sarcasm>
Likewise, "Seagate Brand" on Amazon isn't actually Seagate:
Code:
Business Name: EP Holdings Inc.
Business Address:
Seagate Brand
Rancho Santa Margartia
CA
US
If it isn't shipped and sold by Amazon, you're in uncharted waters.

https://www.reddit.com/r/DataHoarder/comments/oedobg

Last edited:

maze

Apr 27, 2013
Im running quite a few ironwolf pro drives. And have had a few RMA experiences so far.. my numbers are higher than the backblaze stats.. so yeah.

The positive thing is that the RMA process just works with seagate, never had a question or issue with the process, and normal turnaround from the drive reaching the RMA facility is 2 days before its out the door again.

Reactions: kiteboarder