Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Stephan

Apr 21, 2017
Germany
Not an answer to your question, but I recommend to never use any drive-based encryption. Too easy to lose keys or lock yourself out and lose all data. Rather, use an encrypting filesystem or a crypto block-layering scheme to do the encryption.

I am using dm-crypt/Encrypting an entire system - ArchWiki on all devices which travel with me, even sleep and suspend working nicely on laptops. With a reasonably long passphrase, not breakable through technology, only coercion. See Password Strength

Reactions: Aluminat

sko

Jun 11, 2021
Encryption at rest is flawed concept, especially for servers - if someone has physical access to your disks you have a much bigger problem.

StanLee

Apr 10, 2022
It is more than a little easier to gain access to RAM (example: zero day expoits) than to gain physical access, which is a significant disadvantage of dm-crypt etc. vs. device managed keys
Sounds like you know what you do & don't want. Fair enough.

Unless someone has tried this and pipes up, you may have to buy a drive and try this yourself. Let people know if it works. If there is no HW difference, no large difference in price is justified, and WD would be ripping people off. Shocking.

StanLee

Apr 10, 2022
Last edited: