16GB - ECC/Reg DDR3 - Dimms BO 6@50/ea

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

T_Minus

Build. Break. Fix. Repeat
Feb 15, 2015
YMMV but Kingstonc is the only RAM I've ever purchased that did not work in my SuperMicro boards.

$50 for 16GB is crazyy awesome though

DaSaint

Oct 3, 2015
Colorado
YMMV but Kingstonc is the only RAM I've ever purchased that did not work in my SuperMicro boards.

$50 for 16GB is crazyy awesome though
Really? i have it working on SM boards what chipsets are you using?? im using X8 Series with kingston chips.

T_Minus

Feb 15, 2015
This was on x9.

I believe X10 is even more picky.

For $50 worth a try, but I wouldn't buy a dozen unless it was on the approved list, or tested ;D

pricklypunter

Nov 10, 2015
Canada
I got all excited when I seen this thread today, got my card out at the ready :)
That is until I realised it won't work in my little Dell. For some reason CL9 RAM is just not seen in it. CL13 is what it seems to like. Maybe some of the SM boards are just as picky?

DaSaint

Oct 3, 2015
Colorado
Very well could be... Usually Kingston is my #1 brand i tend to goto been using it for ages on boxes... but i dont disagree vendors sometimes do all sorts of wonky crap with Bios's

T_Minus

Feb 15, 2015
I've never heard of a board not accepting RAM based on the CAS latency. That's a new one for me.

Are you sure there weren't other differences like rank?

pricklypunter

Nov 10, 2015
Canada
I only discovered this recently when I attempted to test the memory I got for my AIO build, before I had received the mainboard for it. The little Dell R210 II that I dropped them into just sat there sucking it's thumb. I always figured faster was OK, but maybe it's not in this case. Both dimms were unbuffered 2X8, 1.35v 240pin DDR3 10600E ECC. The only difference I could find between the original Samsung dimms and Crucial's was that the Samsung's were CAS13, the Crucials were listed as CAS9. The Crucial's work fine in the AIO build though, not even a flicker of doubt. I did try placing them in pairs, swapping the pairs and slots around etc, but same result, i.e dead server, so I have no idea what is going on with it, but it works fine with the original Samsung RAM. Takes me back to the days of the old Sanyo 386sx25 I had to look after, getting RAM to work in that required standing on one leg :D

pricklypunter

Nov 10, 2015
Canada
There is that too, which I stupidly forgot to mention in my op (slaps forehead), however, neither does my AIO mainboard. None of the dimms I have here are registered, hence the E on the end of the 10600 as opposed to an R :)

pricklypunter

Nov 10, 2015
Canada
Even stranger...

After having had a senior moment earlier, I thought I would pull a stick from the AIO and double check that I wasn't going senile. I can now confirm that I am :D

The original RAM in the Dell is M391B5273CH0-YH9, 4x4GB Samsung dimms, the stuff I got for the AIO was CT102472BD1339.18FED, 4x8GB Crucial dimms. I just checked on memory for less again, and it states that it is in fact CL9. I could have sworn it said it was CL13, either that or it was some other site I looked at before buying it. I just quickly checked it at the time as it was a closing ebay auction that I discovered in the dying minutes. In any case, it lists both with the same specs apart from the size, so it I figured it should work in the Dell, but doesn't for some reason that escapes me :)