16-32gb ssd, good write speed $20 - 30 ?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

DrStein99

If it does not exist ? I am probably building it.
Feb 3, 2018
New Jersey, USA
I would like to buy a small SATA SSD for boot drive on some machines, all I need is about 16gb. I found myself lost on eBay with so many brands I do not recognize. It looks like many of them have 25mb and less than 100mb write speed. Many more I was unable to look up the stats. I could not find any new HP, Samsung EVO drives that small (being sold by a vendor which did not look shady).

Does anyone have experience, can help me pick something out please? All I would like to spend is about $25. I will only need up to 16gb, so anything past that I can buy - but have no use for. I do not need the best / fastest one there is, just would like to buy one that has faster write speeds than a common mechanical drive. Is this possible?

marv

Apr 2, 2015
for small fast ssd, get Optane m.2 :) but its not sata :(

Problem with small sizes is that they have small amount of nand chips and thus small seq write speeds. For boot drive, most relevant factor is random read iops and not sequential write. Since hard drive does usually around 100-200 iops, any ssd will be faster.

you can get cheap 16GB kingston ssd pulled out of chromebook + buy adapter to sata from china. These do up to 250/80 MB/s sequential and up to 10k iops.

https://forums.servethehome.com/ind...-10x-16gb-kingston-m-2-ssds-under-5-ea.12492/

DrStein99

If it does not exist ? I am probably building it.
Feb 3, 2018
New Jersey, USA
Ok thanks for replies, this gets me somewhere. I bought a cheap SSD one time, and the write speed was so slow, I thought it was broke. I switched to buying only new ones from Newegg Samsung or HP where they actually list the model numbers and read/write statistics. When it comes to just a small one for light booting purpose, it's a crazy endless maze of confusing information.