15TB SSD from Samsung aimed at the datacenter

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

PigLover

Jan 26, 2011
X10SDV-7TP8F + 32 of these babies would make a helluva AIO :)

For that matter, a simple X10SDV-F + 2 of them would satisfy 95% of the people here (and run balls out at ~50W).

Reactions: nry and T_Minus

Evan

Jan 6, 2016
Almost ironic that you would need 2 of the new WD 8tb disks just to backup the data on one of those SSD's once.

I am really getting the feeling it won't be long for a lot of people to go all SSD.

I just wonder when we will see a cold storage or backup only optimized large capacity Ssd. Like these 15tb ones but cheap and idle power almost nothing and intended just as backup destinations.

T_Minus

Build. Break. Fix. Repeat
Feb 15, 2015
4TB or 16TB SSD won't mean anything when we're all on PCIE and using dedup in most everything but the highest performance setups :D :D RIGHT?!!?

dba

Feb 20, 2012
San Francisco Bay Area, California, USA
Saw this over at the techreport:

Samsung begins shipping a 15TB data center SSD

15.36TB, SAS,

"Samsung says the drive can hit sequential read and write speeds of up to 1200 MB/s, plus random reads of up to 200k IOPS and random writes of up to 32k IOPS. The drive's SAS controller is backed with 16GB of RAM." - TechReport

I bet it costs > 10k
R.I.P spinning rust drives!

capn_pineapple

Aug 28, 2013
Well Mushkin has those US$500 4TB drives available right now, though they are "low spec" in that their IOPS are low and they max out at a Sata 6.0 saturation.

My understanding from a friend of mine is that these Samsung drives are quite expensive. He's trying to buy 12 of them for 2x 6 blade chassis in his production setup, as an onboard mass storage device (M.2 PCIe drives being primary/transactional) on each blade which then gets backed up to their spindle SAN. Though, depending on costs, his spindle SAN may be going to SSD now.

Reactions: Patrick

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
"Samsung says the drive can hit sequential read and write speeds of up to 1200 MB/s, plus random reads of up to 200k IOPS and random writes of up to 32k IOPS.

I bet it costs > 10k
Main site credit. I was busy all day today and missed the PR in my inbox.

Reactions: gigatexal

Evan

Jan 6, 2016
Tell me more, I want :)
Google led me to their intention to do this with 2 x 2tb ssd's in a sort of concatinated jbod 2.5" maybe in q2-2106
Not shipping not and the price we will have to wait and see but hopefully it's good for backup media or media library.

capn_pineapple

Aug 28, 2013
Google led me to their intention to do this with 2 x 2tb ssd's in a sort of concatinated jbod 2.5" maybe in q2-2106
Not shipping not and the price we will have to wait and see but hopefully it's good for backup media or media library.
Hmm, the source I read said they were shipping (has since been edited to say it's not) so my bad on that one.
If not, hopefully the 2TB version of it is half the price of the 4TB one, because I'll jump on that (and the IO specs should be much higher)

As to the internal 2x2TB JBOD, that scares the crap outta me for data integrity, but it does make mass storage affordable in the SSD format, and even more so when you think about putting 4TB into a NUC or something of that size with a NVMe boot/OS drive. Now all they need to do is produce NUCs with dual NICs (say that 5 times quickly). Yes, the Zotac boxes already do it, but it's an ever so slightly different form factor.

Imagine a quad NUC virtualisation cluster in a box with a 16TB (RAW) VSAN (or equivalent). NUTANIX would be awesome on such a setup, you just need to find a way to throw 10GBase-T in with a thunderbolt adaptor.