159$ US 'new' Quanta D51B-1U LGA2011-3 Server Best Offer

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

SPCRich

Mar 16, 2017
How is the IPMI on these?
works great, although not like supermicro, it seems SUPER picky about java versions, first one would crash each time i tried to mount an ISO, i finally found a JRE version that wouldn't, but still had oddities once in a while, and no html5 kvm like SMCI does. Other than that, sensors are great though.

Reactions: Samir

SPCRich

Mar 16, 2017
No, I did not do a before and after but I really doubt it would be any worse than the stock fan. I also applied fresh thermal paste on the GPU.
Hmm.. after a couple days, I may end up putting the fan back on...seems temps are even higher (I didn't replace compound though)
nvnidiatemp.JPG

That gap in the middle was around when I removed it, but with transcoding going on regularly after, it seems its almost at its peak (51C)

Reactions: Samir

chip

Jun 21, 2018
tempted to grab a couple of these, although shipping to Australia will probably be prohibitive. Do the power supplies in these run on 240V AC?

wquade

Sep 9, 2016
Ok thanks! Yeah I was hoping it was similar to my Dell R430. They spin up like a bitch, but they quiet down to almost silent. So the fans spin almost continuously?
The fans on mine definitely aren't running at full speed during normal operation. It isn't the loudest 1U server I have owned, but it is still pretty loud, definitely a lot louder than newer Dell 1U servers under normal operation.

Reactions: Sleyk

Jaket

Jan 4, 2017
Seattle, New York
purevoltage.com
It depends on how fast the fans are spinning, typically 1U systems are quite loud to be in a house if you have any type of loads on them. We use them in our data centers and can push a lot of load onto some of these systems. We have customers who max these out with dual E5-2695v3's and they spin up high to stay cool.

semidetached

Sep 18, 2018
Ok thanks! Yeah I was hoping it was similar to my Dell R430. They spin up like a bitch, but they quiet down to almost silent. So the fans spin almost continuously?
My unit tends to stay at around 7k RPM for all of the fans at idle. Compared to the other 1Us in the rack that typically idle at around 4k, I can definitely tell when the Quanta is on.

Reactions: Sleyk

Navy_BOFH

Aug 2, 2013
Has anyone messed with the D51B 2U LFF unit? I am tempted to snag one since 12x LFF plus SAS3, 10GBe mezzanine, and (if Quanta will sell it) 2x NVMe and 2x 2.5" rear slots means I have space for a nice GPU and turn it into an "all in one" server. But... I live in essentially an apartment sized situation with paper thin walls - so I would rather not have something screaming at me all day.

Dwijadas

Dec 18, 2019
NVME drives are typically just electrically wired PCIe 4x, so adapters should work just fine, and Windows should work with EX950.
First of all the forum seems to be for experienced people which I am not. If you happen to know any site where I can get more info about these servers are great. I will figure it out.

I got my server, since my idea was to be used with NVME Drive and keep the cost low. I went with the model with 4 3.5 inch Drive (probably no one wants to buy).

1. For the experiment, I have hooked up one drive into one 3.5 slot and start the server. it doesn't show up any drive. I suppose I have to configure something to let the server know it has one drive ?

Mostly its relate to RAID Card installed. where can I learn more about it ?

Now the PCIE NVME Card
GIGABYTE Shows PCIe 4.0 x16 Four-Way M.2 PCIe Add-In Card

I got this to fix 4 NVME drive which is more than what I need, but I think this is not compatible as I am not sure how to set the required config for PCIE , called Intel® Virtual RAID on CPU.

Again need more info on BIOS setup.

Is there any way I can connect one or two SATA drive directly to the motherboard ?

Any pointers will help me.

Last edited:

Dwijadas

Dec 18, 2019
From my google search, its possible to fix SATA drive into SAS port of the LSI MegaRAID card. Somehow after plugging a drive it doesnt show up. Any clue ?