15$ Dell Wyse 5060 Thin Client

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Fritz

Apr 6, 2015
I have 2 candidates, a 128GB and a 256GB. I know the 128 is a msata. Not sure about the 256. I'll dig it out and see.

Just looked at the MB manual for the MB the 256 was previously running in. It's a mini pcie so which works in that? :confused:

Just went and dug them both out. They're both msata so I'm all set.

Reactions: Samir

aeg

May 6, 2019
This is misinformation. This adapter does not fit the Dell Wyse 5060. See downthread for photo of a similar adapter not fitting, and confirmation from Fritz that the above adapter has the same problem.
Many thanks for sharing this info.
It looks like the same style of adapter is also available on the bay:
The third one is shipped from China, really cheap, really slow shipping. Judging by the picture, that one has a switching regulator, unlike the first two which have a linear regulator. But who knows if what you get is the same as what's in the picture.

Last edited:

dirac_delta_f

Feb 16, 2022
Thanks for all the info on this thin client, very useful. Has anyone had any luck updating the BIOS on these? I purchased one of these from eBay and have BIOS: Phoenix SecureCore Technology Setup 1.0A 09/06/2016 and originally had ThinLinux 1.0.3 (I think). I tried using the Dell tools from: Support for Wyse 5060 Thin Client | Drivers & Downloads | Dell Canada, but the USB imaging tool is garbage and I couldn't get the image created from ThinLinux_5060_BIOS_10K.zip to boot. I found this guide: Thin Clients, which got me to flashing a bios binary, but my results were:
root# ./LinFlash /file:bios

Phoenix 32-bit Linux Flash Tool, version 1.0.4.0.
Copyright (c) 2011-2014 Phoenix Technologies Ltd.

Parse command line options... [ OK ]
Initialize... [ OK ]
Read BIOS image [ OK ]
Check BIOS image format [ OK ]
Send Capsule Image address to BIOS was failed!

root# ./LinFlash32 -file bios

Phoenix SCT Flash for Linux V2.8.0.0, Build 140725
Copyright (c) 2011-2014 Phoenix Technologies Ltd.

The tool will start flashing in 5 seconds, press ESC to abort.
SecureFlash BIOS detected.
Read BIOS image from file.
Initialize Flash module.
Read current BIOS.
Write capsule file to capsule memory.

WARNING: System is going to shutdown and do capsule update!

WARNING: System will shutdown or reboot in 5 seconds!

After the reboot, no BIOS update screen appeared like I was expecting. Does anyone have any bright ideas? Thanks for the help.

aeg

May 6, 2019
Just a shot in the dark, to get the thumb drive produced by the USB imaging tool to boot, did you enable UEFI boot in the BIOS?

dirac_delta_f

Feb 16, 2022
Just a shot in the dark, to get the thumb drive produced by the USB imaging tool to boot, did you enable UEFI boot in the BIOS?
There is an option for both Legacy and UEFI, and I have that set. I was able to get the windows version (WES_5060_BIOS_10K.zip, the USB image does have an EFI directory) to boot, but it somehow got stuck in a boot loop.

dirac_delta_f

Feb 16, 2022
After further investigation, it turns out the Dell USB Imaging Tool wasn't setting the boot flag for the USB stick it was creating (should have checked that way sooner). After manually setting the flag, I was able to get the USB stick to boot to the Dell BIOS flashing tool. The flashing process even drops a log file on the USB stick (attached, for those who care). Even though the log says "RESULT : PASS", my BIOS is still version 1.0A (I am expecting this to upgrade it to 1.0K). Since screen recording this was impossible, I filmed my screen and made some screenshots.VID_20220221_220837_1.jpgVID_20220221_220837_2.jpgVID_20220221_220837_3.jpgVID_20220221_220837_4.jpgVID_20220221_220837_5.jpgVID_20220221_220837_6.jpgVID_20220221_220837_7.jpg
I pulled the SATA flash drive that came with the 5060, so there is no OS at all on there. I haven't flashed a ton of BIOS in my day, but that shouldn't make a difference right?

Attachments

soybie

Mar 6, 2022
Can someone pls recommend a SSD that fits in this unit? Also, which usb Wi-Fi would work well for a Linux install? Thx!

epicurean

Sep 29, 2014
Can someone pls recommend a SSD that fits in this unit? Also, which usb Wi-Fi would work well for a Linux install? Thx!
I have stripped a Kingston A400 250GB and Samsung 840EV0 from their shell, and they fit. Some minor trimming of the ram shield is needed ( more so for the Samsung EVO)

Fritz

Apr 6, 2015
I found an Apacer brand 64GB on eBay, same form factor but the hole didn't line up. That's OK tho, no real need to bolt it down anyway. I loaded Linux on it so no need for a lot of HD space. If I change my mind in the future I also have a 256GB MSATA and an adapter I can use.

aeg

May 6, 2019
I bought the "NFHK" MSATA adapter board from the Chinese seller. It arrived after about a month, and seems to be high quality... but it doesn't fit. The RAM slot is in the way, even with the metal shroud removed. I'm also skeptical that the "SMAKN" adapter board from Amazon would fit. Can @wills or @Fritz provide photographic evidence that the "SMAKN" adapter board actually fits the Dell Wyse 5060?
interference.jpg

Fritz

Apr 6, 2015
I bought the "NFHK" MSATA adapter board from the Chinese seller. It arrived after about a month, and seems to be high quality... but it doesn't fit. The RAM slot is in the way, even with the metal shroud removed. I'm also skeptical that the "SMAKN" adapter board from Amazon would fit. Can @wills or @Fritz provide photographic evidence that the "SMAKN" adapter board actually fits the Dell Wyse 5060?
View attachment 22269
I went with a 64GB Apacer drive from eBay but remember eyeballing it and thinking it would fit. I can try it later and see. Is a Dremel mod a possibility?

Fritz

Apr 6, 2015
View attachment 22269
I have the same adapter and it does hit the memory slot. It could be dremeled to fit but you'd be left with only one screw holding the msata drive in. there's no circuitry in the area that would need to be dremeled. I decided to leave the 64GB Apacer as is because It doesn't need any more storage space for what I'm using it for. the Apacer does fit but the screw hole doesn't line up so I put a rubber cap over the MB standoff and called it a day. I don't think it needs anything to hold it in. It's not going anywhere.

aeg

May 6, 2019
I have the same adapter and it does hit the memory slot. It could be dremeled to fit but you'd be left with only one screw holding the msata drive in. there's no circuitry in the area that would need to be dremeled. I decided to leave the 64GB Apacer as is because It doesn't need any more storage space for what I'm using it for. the Apacer does fit but the screw hole doesn't line up so I put a rubber cap over the MB standoff and called it a day. I don't think it needs anything to hold it in. It's not going anywhere.
Thanks for checking. Looks like we're the victims of affiliate link spam :mad:. No great loss as I've been running mine diskless since I first got it.

Reactions: Samir and Fritz

Spiderman

Apr 1, 2022
Hi guys .. Wondering if anyone could help :( .. I have updated the BIOS to 1.0K using Dell USB imaging but onboard sound stopped working completely! Did I do something wrong?!

Fritz

Apr 6, 2015
I didn't even notice this thing had onboard sound, lol.

I'm on BIOS 1.0a and sound works properly.

Spiderman

Apr 1, 2022
I didn't even notice this thing had onboard sound, lol.

I'm on BIOS 1.0a and sound works properly.
I was stupid enough to get another unit and update the BIOS, again!! (using ThinLinux_5060_BIOS_10K.zip with Dell Imaging Tool) Everything went smoothly first then onboard speaker started to make weird noises during Window 10 setup, and now it doesn't even work! Rolling back to 1.0A didn't make any difference!! This time I can see the drivers (under Windows & Linux) but no sound through the speaker or the headphone jack!!