15$ Dell Wyse 5060 Thin Client

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Markess

May 19, 2018
Northern California
Eh, no. The WX2100 will be more powerful (that’s what, like an RX540?). This is GCN2, so this is more like a Radeon R5 M230 sliced in half.
The WX2100 and RX 540 are both GCN 4 Polaris 12 (Lexa), but the RX has twice the memory bandwith. So the WX2100 is slower, but in normal use draws about half the power of the RX. So its a nice choice for cramped boxes when users just need something better than integrated. The embedded marketed version of the WX2100 is the e9173, which is pretty much the same thing, but with a black motif on the shroud and graphics.

Per the datasheets I found online, Fujitsu offered the FirePro W2100 with the S920 that @Samir linked. W2100 is actually GCN1and was seriously gimped to keep the heat down. On the other hand, if you need a GPU that pulls less than 25w even when its maxed out, this one is for you!

Reactions: Samir and Sleyk

WANg

Jun 10, 2018
New York, NY
The WX2100 and RX 540 are both GCN 4 Polaris 12 (Lexa), but the RX has twice the memory bandwith. So the WX2100 is slower, but in normal use draws about half the power of the RX. So its a nice choice for cramped boxes when users just need something better than integrated. The embedded marketed version of the WX2100 is the e9173, which is pretty much the same thing, but with a black motif on the shroud and graphics.

Per the datasheets I found online, Fujitsu offered the FirePro W2100 with the S920 that @Samir linked. W2100 is actually GCN1and was seriously gimped to keep the heat down. On the other hand, if you need a GPU that pulls less than 25w even when its maxed out, this one is for you!
Well, the Radeon R5 GPU onboard the APU is GCN2 based (2CUs in a 128:8:4 config, clocked at ~500Mhz for 127 GFlops), so if you are comparing the WX2100 to the onboard GPU, then the WX2100 is much faster. The W2100 is closer to the Oland Radeon R5 in both tech and performance, but then you are hitting 3 limiting factors - VRAM bandwidth (DDR3), number of compute units (5CUs in a 320:20:8 config, 400 GFlops) and the fact that the GX424CCs are PCIe Gen2 only. Even if you pop that WX2100/E9173 board into that machine, you are still effectively choking it since the bus is slower and your 4 Puma cores are not really all that great. Of course, if you have lots of unified RAM bandwidth, good amount of unified RAM and a crapload of GCN Comute units, then you'll be able to game with it. But then that's exactly what you have with a Playstation 4....4 Jaguar AMD64 netbook cores, 18 GCN2 CUs and 8GB of unified RAM on an ultra-wide memory bus...and yes, people are known to jailbreak PS4 to get Linux going.

Eh, for these kinda applications I prefer an nVidia GT1300 DDR5 half-height single bay with a fan...but that's like throwing good money into bad, spending 100 bucks to spice up a 15 dollar thin client just seem silly. You are really better off with a t730 or a 740 if you want it to do better things.

Last edited:

Markess

May 19, 2018
Northern California
Eh, for these kinda applications I prefer an nVidia GT1300 DDR5 half-height single bay with a fan...but that's like throwing good money into bad, spending 100 bucks to spice up a 15 dollar thin client just seem silly. You are really better off with a t730 or a 740 if you want it to do better things.
Well, my original idea was just to let people know that even though WX2100 was like an RX 540, it didn't perform like one, and also that the included GPU was slow as dirt.

But yeah, I agree that for these low end boxes if it doesn't work as is, probably best not to spend much money adding stuff on. Better to wait for one that's configured more like what the user needs. I took a pass on this myself, realizing there wasn't anything I wanted to do that an S920 or a 5060 as configured would be able to do for me. I had put an offer in on an S920, because at least it had a full length PCIe, but when they countered, I thought "what am I doing?" Now jailbreaking a PS4 on the other hand.... :cool:

rmcfadzean

Jan 26, 2021
would yall be interested in boxes around the same price (~$18), that can run off straight 12V power, an ivy bridge series CPU with ~4x the passmark as these + AES-NI / virt support, 32gb ssd, HDMI capture *input*, dual hdmi output, like 15w power draw?
Very. Go on...
I've been scouring eBay lately for weird little boxes like this. It started as looking for cheap alternatives to a raspberry pi because those prices are ridiculous right now. I have seen nothing in that price point for my searches though. Ivy bridge is a little further back than I've been looking, mind you.

Reactions: Samir and Sleyk

WANg

Jun 10, 2018
New York, NY
would yall be interested in boxes around the same price (~$18), that can run off straight 12V power, an ivy bridge series CPU with ~4x the passmark as these + AES-NI / virt support, 32gb ssd, HDMI capture *input*, dual hdmi output, like 15w power draw?
I am guessing...something like a Nexcom NDIS B532 with a MiniPCIe capture card...like an Avermedia DarkCrystal?

WANg

Jun 10, 2018
New York, NY
Well, my original idea was just to let people know that even though WX2100 was like an RX 540, it didn't perform like one, and also that the included GPU was slow as dirt.

But yeah, I agree that for these low end boxes if it doesn't work as is, probably best not to spend much money adding stuff on. Better to wait for one that's configured more like what the user needs. I took a pass on this myself, realizing there wasn't anything I wanted to do that an S920 or a 5060 as configured would be able to do for me. I had put an offer in on an S920, because at least it had a full length PCIe, but when they countered, I thought "what am I doing?" Now jailbreaking a PS4 on the other hand.... :cool:
Yeah, that WX2100 is still miles ahead of that embedded GCN2, even if it's like a gimped RX540. I think I am more exasperated that in the past 4 years there's not that much changes made to the baseline cards...you figure that nVidia would've announced an RT4030 to replace the GT1030 by now.
For 15 bucks the Wyse 5060 still arguably better than waiting for a Pi Zero 2 W, but if you have hardware galore or a SWMBO who is pissed at you for bringing old hardware home all the time, it's probably a good idea to be picky (I am waiting for the t540 to dip below 100 myself).
Jailbreaking a PS4 to run Linux? That's challenging but do-able, and the results will be worth it...

WANg

Jun 10, 2018
New York, NY

another similar deal ~$25 or obo
Not quite. The D90Q7 is the Wyse 5010/5020 series with the GX215GA - basically like an HP t620. AFAIK no PCIe slot in those chassis.

Last edited:

zer0sum

Mar 8, 2013
I've been playing around with a couple of these for a few days now and I like them a lot :D

You can get an nvme ssd running off the "wlan" motherboard slot with some adapters.
It's only PCIE 1x speed so 500MB/s, but it's still pretty cool.

I have proxmox installed on the standard 16G SATA module that comes with it, then a 1TB nvme ssd as a zfs single disk stripe.
Then I'm using glusterfs on top of that so that I can have shared storage with my main proxmox node.
My other one is running debian server and is a qdevice and glusterfs arbiter as well as a pihole server.

I upgraded the memory with 2 x 8G ram modules and it's working perfectly so far.

Power consumption is ~7W running debian server or proxmox

yogi_en

Dec 18, 2019
Hello ,

Just bought this device. I was able to able to upgrade the SSD to 480GB and also installed Debian. Some how couldn't figure out how to upgrade the RAM. I see a single slot in the middle, not sure whether that is meant for RAM.

Can any one please help me here to upgrade the RAM?. I plan to put 8GB. Thanks!

Reactions: Samir