15$ Dell Wyse 5060 Thin Client

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Samir

Post Liker and Deal Hunter Extraordinaire!
Jul 21, 2017
HSV and SFO
You're probably right. (Partially) Answering my own question; I installed XP SP3 on my Wyse using WinSetupFromUSB, which worked surprisingly smoothly — I had not tried this before, it's been years since I did anything with Windows, let alone XP. I got missing drivers to install using SDIO, all except one; graphics. As it turns out, drivers for the Radeon R5E were never made available for Windows XP, only (seemingly) Windows 7 and onward. I did try a bit of .inf modification shenanigans to see if I could get something working, but I did not get that lucky. I was able to get a driver to install but it would fail to start, with Windows listing it with one of those yellow exclamation points and saying something went wrong with it and the driver couldn't load.

That's as far as I got. It's a bit of a shame, as it otherwise was a very smoth process with sound and ethernet and everything working with just a few drivers needed. I wonder if someone more knowledgeable would be able to figure this out more easily, sadly I'm not all too familiar with this and a quick search seems to show that no-one else tried or succeeded to get later AMD drivers (as in, anything after Catalyst v14, the last one released for XP) backported.
There's some good notes on what these can do a retro gaming consoles, including DOS, here:

I didn't realize what series these are--a couple of generations ago these do have a native xp embedded dom (embedded standard 2009, as it was a option on mine), so xp should install great:

But for any retro computing, the even earlier era thin clients were really great for this, and they're readily available fully set up and ready to go at reasonable prices like this one:

Reactions: Rcdriver

Fritz

Apr 6, 2015
Does anybody know if this thing will boot off a NVMe drive plugged into the WiFi port via adapter? Probably not but thought I'd ask.

Reactions: Samir

aeg

May 6, 2019
Does anybody know if this thing will boot off a NVMe drive plugged into the WiFi port via adapter? Probably not but thought I'd ask.
sure not.
A version of iPXE with an NVMe driver has been made into an option ROM that works with Phoenix BIOS on ThinkPads: NVMe BIOS Option ROM

If you're willing to put some work into it and take the risk of bricking your 5060, it might be possible to mod it into the 5060 BIOS also. It can be put on a thumb drive, so first step would be to try that, and if it works from a thumb drive, then take the plunge into BIOS modding.

There is also a hacked version of the VMware NVMe option ROM for the same purpose, but it looks like that one has mostly been used with AMI BIOS: [Experimental] NVMe Option ROM

• Love
Reactions: Samir and Fritz

Fritz

Apr 6, 2015
A version of iPXE with an NVMe driver has been made into an option ROM that works with Phoenix BIOS on ThinkPads: NVMe BIOS Option ROM

If you're willing to put some work into it and take the risk of bricking your 5060, it might be possible to mod it into the 5060 BIOS also. It can be put on a thumb drive, so first step would be to try that, and if it works from a thumb drive, then take the plunge into BIOS modding.

There is also a hacked version of the VMware NVMe option ROM for the same purpose, but it looks like that one has mostly been used with AMI BIOS: [Experimental] NVMe Option ROM
thank you sir. I have 3 of them so I'm going to give it a try.

Fritz

Apr 6, 2015
If anyone is looking for the base, here it is. brand new, screws included. I ordered 3 of them and yes, they do fit the 5060.

Reactions: Samir and bwahaha

kavie87

Mar 17, 2024
Hey,
I have a unit that is running windows 10. I’m wanting to run Debian which I can do but I’m having issues updating the bios. Anyone able to walk me through how to update the bios?
I’m on 1.0H and wanting to upgrade to 1.0K.

Thanks KP

NachoCDN

Apr 18, 2016
i picked one of these up a while back and turned it into a proxmox backup server after adding another 4GB of ram. it was quite the ordeal to get to the open slot on that board. i have a usb 3.0 external drive for backups since it does support usb 3.0. nice little server!