13x1080TI Windows 10 - 1709

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Rahvin9999

Jan 14, 2016
Rotterdam, The Netherlands
Just noticed a post on a different forum that Windows 10 - 1709 should take more then 8 GPU's of the same kind. So as a test I an upgrade of one of my windows rigs and added 5 extra cards. After some driver updating and rebooting I can confirm 13GPU's work.

2017-10-23 00_28_37-192.168.1.135 - Remote Desktop Connection.jpg

2017-10-23 00_25_37-192.168.1.135 - Remote Desktop Connection.jpg
Seems stable. Only problem I'm having is that Afterburner quit on me. Looks like a .net issue after the upgrade rather then a number of GPU issue.
ASUS GPU Tweak works and sees all the GPU's

Guess I will need to do a clean install and see if I can get Afterburner to work.

yusaka

Oct 23, 2017
Hi, can you post the link of the other forum of which you saw that windows 10 -1709 can handle more than 8 gpu's?
Is it also possible with the Nvidia Geforce gtx 1070 because at this moment I have a rig with 8 gtx 1070 GPU's, 1 psu Crossair HXI 1200, 2 modules of 4 GB of memory and the mobo "ASRock H110 Pro BTC+".

What have you done to achieve this configuration working?
for example: how many psu, what kind of cpu, how many memory?

Rahvin9999

Jan 14, 2016
Hardware next to the ASRock H110 Pro BTC+
2x 2400 Watt PSU with pico PSU providing the mobo power. Can run everything from one PSU with the right quality splitters but they get rather noisy under load. So I'm using two.
1x 8GB dimm
1x Pentium G4400 cpu
1x 120GB ssd

This is a system which I havent moved to linux yet.
It had 8x 1080TI now it has 13

What I did was
  • Upgraded windows to 1709 using automatic updates.
  • Rebooted added cards. system crashed.
  • Went back to 1 card. updated NVIDIA driver to latest
  • Turned system off.
  • Added cards
  • Turned system back on
  • Made myself a drink and watched some tv while Windows did its thing with the drivers. (took a while)
  • Came back to a working and responsive windows.
  • Tried afterburner which failed. I think it might have an 8GPU limit
  • Installed ASUS GPU tweak. Rebooted
  • Used GPU tweak to set my +130 core -300 mem and 60% power limit.
  • Some wierd behaviour with setting the limits on all cards but succeeded in the end ( see below)
  • Started miner software
  • Took screenshots.
  • Made post
Having some issues under windows with the Tooling to set power limits and so on. It works most of the time. But sometimes it misses some cards
By which i mean it sets the limit on 10 of the 13 cards. or 12 of the 13 or 9 of the 13. Other times it does all.

Besides that I left it alone. Been running for about 8 hours now. No issues. Seems as stable as it was before I went to 1709 and 13 cards.

yusaka

Oct 23, 2017
Hello,

ON October the 23st your wrote:

"Going to test with an ASUS B250 mining expert tomorrow"
Did you already test this mobo and if so can you describe how it works?

Rahvin9999

Jan 14, 2016
You should try nvidia smi tools to set power limits

nvidia-smi -i 0,1,2,3,etc -pl 200

More detail here - Nvidia TDP limit.NVidia power limit - Crypto Mining Blog
Know about nvidia-smi to set the power limit. But I also set different mem and gpu clock speeds to make the cards run more efficient.

Hello,

ON October the 23st your wrote:

"Going to test with an ASUS B250 mining expert tomorrow"
Did you already test this mobo and if so can you describe how it works?
It works.
And is stable. Used the same processor and memory.

Could not go over 13 cards tho. The moment I plugged in a 14th 108TI card the mobo would not boot anymore. (its a bios thing not an OS thing) Which is exactly as indicated by ASUS themselves. Maybe a later BIOS update will solve this.

yusaka

Oct 23, 2017
I can see on the mobo there are 3 powerconnectors. how many psu's did you connect for the thirteen gpu's

Rahvin9999

Jan 14, 2016
Thank you. But I have some more questions if you do not mind.
Sure

I can see on the mobo there are 3 powerconnectors. how many psu's did you connect for the thirteen gpu's
I just connected one PSU to the mobo. It doesnt need anything else the others are for your conveniance if you use multiple psu's
Have powered PCI risers so didnt connect any of the 12v molex ones next to the pci slots either.

Oh and I forgot what are the biossettings you've made?
Nothing changed in the BIOS to make all the cards work. It just works out of the box.
I did change 2 things for other reasons.
CSM compatibility to enabled. So I can boot from usb if I want.
APM setting is set to Power On after Powerloss. So that the system auto starts after the power comes back on.
The rest is all stock.

yusaka

Oct 23, 2017
Last question that I forgot to ask you yesterday. What kind of psu are you using? Brand model watt.
and again thank you very much for your answers help and corporation.

with kind regards,

Yusaka

Revrnd

Jan 2, 2018
AU
Hi Rahvin, just saw your post and loved what you've done.

I had mixed success with Win10 Creators Update using 10x GPUs (NiceHash kept crashing and some other miners don't support more than 8 GPUs properly).

Ended up using Nvidia Inspector to individually set fan + TDP as Afterburner kept missing cards too.

In the meantime I moved to Simplemining OS and am mining Equihash through Miningpoolhub.

Just had a question though, if you can confirm, how does Lyra2REv2 work on your rig(s)? I've been trying to mine MonaCoin and VertCoin however get everything from miner crashes through to OS crashes (but I do get up to 515MH/s before it does crash repeatedly)

My setup is 10x 1080Ti FE's at 65% TDP
Biostar BTC 250 Pro (12 GPU mobo)
16 GB DDR4
i5-7600T CPU (35w quad)

OS is on 128GB Sandisk Ultra USB Drive.

zer0sum

Mar 8, 2013
Hi Rahvin, just saw your post and loved what you've done.

I had mixed success with Win10 Creators Update using 10x GPUs (NiceHash kept crashing and some other miners don't support more than 8 GPUs properly).

Ended up using Nvidia Inspector to individually set fan + TDP as Afterburner kept missing cards too.

In the meantime I moved to Simplemining OS and am mining Equihash through Miningpoolhub.

Just had a question though, if you can confirm, how does Lyra2REv2 work on your rig(s)? I've been trying to mine MonaCoin and VertCoin however get everything from miner crashes through to OS crashes (but I do get up to 515MH/s before it does crash repeatedly)

My setup is 10x 1080Ti FE's at 65% TDP
Biostar BTC 250 Pro (12 GPU mobo)
16 GB DDR4
i5-7600T CPU (35w quad)

OS is on 128GB Sandisk Ultra USB Drive.
What PSU's are you using to power those cards?
On certain algo's I see the cards spike way above the power limits that have been set

Revrnd

Jan 2, 2018
AU
Running 6x Ti's on a 1500w Titanium rated Silverstone PSU (ST1500-TI) and 4x Ti's on a 1200w Platinum rated Silverstone PSU ST1200-PT).

I have found through further testing that it looks like a problem with Linux / SMOS and Lyra2REv2 ccminer(s). Whilst using ccminer under SMOS with Equihash or other algo's doesn't display that same issue.

Testing again under Win10 with Nanashi Meiyo-Meijin branch of ccminer is rock solid under Win10 after 24hrs. I ended up setting clocks and fan speeds using Nvidia Inspector as Afterburner still doesn't pick things up properly.

Turned out the VertCoin community were really helpful when it comes to info on mining Lyra2REv2 and their suggestion on the Nanashi miner.

If you don't mind me asking though, what software do you use to manage your rig?

Rahvin9999

Jan 14, 2016
I have since moved all my systems over to Linux because its just easier. Windows works very well up to 8 cards. But my rigs are all 1o or 13 cards.

The PSU I use are the 2400Watt Delta's from Parallelminer. They work well and let me run all cards and the mobo from a single PSU

Revrnd

Jan 2, 2018
AU
I might have a look into the Parallelminer 2400w PSU's as you're not the first to mention them.

Managed to setup my TB250 Pro with 5 GPUs on ZClassic and 5 GPUs on VertCoin / MonaCoin and it's run seamlessly for the past 2 days on Win10. Hoping to pick up a couple more 1080Ti's to expand upon that and hopefully Win10 stays nice and stable.

Have SMOS and nvOC as backup OS's just in case Win10 falls over though. So many choices.

When I get my frame sorted I'll post a pic of two up of it.

jaeckelbmw

Feb 21, 2018
I might have a look into the Parallelminer 2400w PSU's as you're not the first to mention them.

Managed to setup my TB250 Pro with 5 GPUs on ZClassic and 5 GPUs on VertCoin / MonaCoin and it's run seamlessly for the past 2 days on Win10. Hoping to pick up a couple more 1080Ti's to expand upon that and hopefully Win10 stays nice and stable.

Have SMOS and nvOC as backup OS's just in case Win10 falls over though. So many choices.

When I get my frame sorted I'll post a pic of two up of it.
Some advice would be nice. I am currently running an 8 GPU rig and am getting everything together to switch to the Biostar BTC250-Pro with room for 12, will have 11 from the start, just missing my risers. How have you all faired on the 10+ rigs with Windows? I'll be honest, using Linux seems daunting and the start up seems time consuming, which I don't have a lot of free time to do. If I do have to go with Linux would I need to plug all GPU's in at once and hope for the best or could I plug them in 1 at a time? Thanks for any advice you all have.