120TB in a 1U - Sub 300w cold storage platform

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
For those that got in on the 10TB drives in the Great Deals forum, I was in the data center setting up a cold storage demo today for DemoEval.

120TB in a 1U and sub 300w even with dual 10Gb SFP+ and a NVMe SSD running.

120TB in a 1U.jpg

These are the 4K drives not the 512's like the ones in the Great Deals forum but still fairly cool to use one of these.

I thought some folks here may enjoy.

PrivateColo

Sep 27, 2016
For those that got in on the 10TB drives in the Great Deals forum, I was in the data center setting up a cold storage demo today for DemoEval.

120TB in a 1U and sub 300w even with dual 10Gb SFP+ and a NVMe SSD running.

View attachment 3522

These are the 4K drives not the 512's like the ones in the Great Deals forum but still fairly cool to use one of these.

I thought some folks here may enjoy.
Talk about a massive site to see that's pretty sweet.

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
@PrivateColo I think that you could get a Seagate Iron Wolf 10TB based version of this much cheaper. Back of the envelope is about $8k, maybe a bit less.

$0.65/GB and that is with 64GB RAM and a ~512GB NVMe SSD.

I priced another one out with low-cost 8TB drives (e.g. archive drives), 32GB RAM and a smaller NVMe SSD and I was around $0.37/GB. That is awesome. Non-archive 8TB was around $0.05/GB more.

Backblaze 6.0 has the company at $0.366/GB with much larger quantities and no NVMe cache.

CookiesLikeWhoa

Sep 7, 2016
That is an insane amount of raw storage in such a small form factor. Is it sub 300W ideal or when being written to?

Blinky 42

Aug 6, 2015
PA, USA
Nice @Patrick !

How "hot swappable" would you rate the drives in that chassis? Obviously more involved than a 2U with all 12 up front and easy to get to, but does the backplane have indicators clearly show which drive is dead and is the process of getting a single drive out while it is powered up viable for the average colo tech to trust with w/o killing the box?

I bring it up because I recently set up a batch of the 16-drive version of the 6028R chassis Supermicro | Products | SuperServers | 2U | 6028R-E1CR16T and the drives at the top of the chassis are probably about the limit I would trust a random tech to hotswap. The way the lever mechanism operates it is a bit too easy to have one of the pins under not line up and have the drive get jammed in there not aligned properly. You also need to undo one #2 screw to free the drive, but the tray for the 4 drives is pretty solid so I don't worry much about loosing the screw in the innards of the server while it is running.

From the manual it looks like there is some carrier the drive might snap into and that clicks into place in the chassis but hard to tell much from the diagrams.

RobertP

Nov 7, 2016
@Patrick cool setup! What are you guys using for caching etc? The article doesn't seem to elaborate on disk configuration.

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
@Patrick cool setup! What are you guys using for caching etc? The article doesn't seem to elaborate on disk configuration.
First up with this box is ZFS so we are going to be using the 256GB Toshiba NVMe SSD as a read cache.

Really this is meant to be a box where software vendors can demo their goods. I just get to play with it in the meantime.