$120: NEW! Intel DC S3700 400Gb 1.8" SSD

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

logan893

Aug 12, 2016
The connector is not the same on these Intel 1.8" drives, unfortunately. They are micro SATA, which have a different key for power compared with regular SATA. Also, these Intel drives use and require 3.3V only.

As these drives have quite a high power draw, I would not recommend their use together with active adapters. Such adapters usually cap out at 1A, while these require up to 2.5A on the 3.3V line.

With passive adapters, make sure your PSU has the orange power line on the SATA power, else your PSU cannot provide the required 3.3V. Moled to SATA adapter will not work, as these only supply 5V and 12V.

I made the mistake of ordering two of these earlier. While they work reasonably well, I do have to use an external PSU to power them, as my server's internal PSU does not have the orange 3.3V power line for SATA.

David

Dec 31, 2015
I bought a couple of S3500 models (SSDSC1NB240G4I) and I didn't think much about the 3.3v. I knew the keying was different and I bought an adapter (not sure if active or passive). I assumed the adapter would adjust for any electrical requirements. I have been running them for months now. Am I wrong?

SNANSHI Mini 1.8" Micro SATA to 7+15 22Pin 2.5 inch SATA Adapter Converter Card (on Amazon)

T_Minus

Build. Break. Fix. Repeat
Feb 15, 2015
I had a couple of these and adapters, sold the drives still may have adapters some place but I never ran into any issues with them but that was only testing / experimenting with the drives.

Another thing to note is that the 1.8" drive do not have the same spec as the 2.5" version.

Indecided

Sep 5, 2015
I had a couple of 1.8" 800gb S3500s paired with some 1.8" to 2.5" form factor adapters. Has been running pretty well over the last 6 months or so. Just got a bunch in for sale so those are going up soon..

I was lucky to be able to obtain form factor adapters that had 3.3v regulators good for 5A so I wasn't too worried about them not getting enough current.

I did notice that there were quite a few adapters that only had 1A current on the market - because I started out with one of those dinky things. While the 800GB S3500 is rated at 1A, the S3700 and such have higher power draws..
So caveat emptor when buying an adapter.

Intel-S3500-800GB-1.8-Adapter.jpg

Reactions: logan893

logan893

Aug 12, 2016
I was lucky to be able to obtain form factor adapters that had 3.3v regulators good for 5A so I wasn't too worried about them not getting enough current.
If you still remember, where did you find these 5A adapters, and how much did they cost?

I'm using passive ones, but I notice every once in a while that there are hick-ups in the 3.3V from the external power supply. I'd much prefer to be able to run them off of the server's internal 5V or 12V rails.

Indecided

Sep 5, 2015
They were about 4-5 bucks each. Not too bad. We buy them in bulk directly from our usual parts supplier in China. Would ship you a couple but we're out until early next year..

I notice that there have been quite a few more on eBay that look pretty decent.. I can't read the markings on the LM regulator ICs though. might want to ask the seller to see if they can type them out for you and you can look at the datasheet.

Ideally you are looking for a LM1084 (5A) or LM1085 (3A) equivalent.

Reactions: logan893

logan893

Aug 12, 2016
Getting hold of some 5A adapters would make my year!

I'll have to ask around on eBay then. Most items I see there have pictures with AMS1117, which is 1A only.

Do you happen to have some links to eBay auctions which you think look promising, or a referral to your Chinese supplier?

Indecided

Sep 5, 2015
logan, I think they sell on taobao as well. let me ask them for the link.

Although - for the ones that I use myself in the DC, I am starting to replace (hot air desolder/resolder) them with TI regulators simply for due diligence as you never know if the regulators are new or reclaimed...

Indecided

Sep 5, 2015
On another note, I noticed that the 1.8" drives in the link run IBM firmware - the model# ends in I and the IBM dead giveaway is the large rectangular empty box on the label. SMART stats are better then Dell firmware but still.. it varies by series.

PigLover

Jan 26, 2011
@Aaron, thanks for pointing this out. I have several of these 1.8" S3700s but haven't started using them yet. Would appreciate if you could please post if you can find a link or reference to a seller. Searching on eBay does not turn up enough info to tell (but everything looks cheap so likely 1A or less).

Indecided

Sep 5, 2015
From my earlier research, I found that all the 3A/5A adapters are those that are on full sized PCBs (circuit board). the ones where the PCB is just the adapter portion all seem to be AMS1117s.

1.8" Micro SATA 16pin SSD to 7mm 2.5" SATA 22pin hard disk case Enclosure White | eBay would be a good example of what I would expect to be a 3A/5A.. Hhowever, i'd still message the seller to get the part numbers of the regulator before buying any. Caveat emptor!

And if you're paranoid like I am, the regulator's sink terminal (the large soldered part) is uncomfortably close to the SSD body. Intel's 1.8" DC drives are all metal bodied, so i'd put a little insulating material between the SSD and the regulator.. something like Sugru. But please bear in mind that Sugru is conductive when not cured, so don't power it up before it's fully dry.

Or use a little rubber washer cut and wedged in between.

Heywood

Jul 4, 2015
This looks like it might work and is from a reputable seller.

22 Pin SATA Female to Micro SATA 16 Pin Male Cable
Micro SATA 1.8 inch Cable with eSATA DATA – 1.5 Amp

This adapter below does not mention the presence of a 3.3V converter but comes in a really neat form factor.

1.8 Inch Micro SATA SSD HDD to SATA Adapter with Bracket

The ssd is set to draw a max of 1.61 Amps, based on the max power draw on the spec sheeet: Intel® SSD DC S3700 Series (400GB, 1.8in SATA 6Gb/s, 25nm, MLC) Specifications.

Last edited:

logan893

Aug 12, 2016
The ssd is set to draw a max of 1.61 Amps, based on the max power draw on the spec sheeet: Intel® SSD DC S3700 Series (400GB, 1.8in SATA 6Gb/s, 25nm, MLC) Specifications.
Quick specs shows the average power draw, which is 5.3W (1.61 A). The full specification (PDF, Intel® Solid-State Drive DC S3700 Series: Specification) says burst power draw of up to 7.9W (2.4 A) for the 400 GB 1.8" model.

Hhowever, i'd still message the seller to get the part numbers of the regulator before buying any. Caveat emptor!
Here's where I ran into problems. All eBay sellers I asked have no clue what they are selling.

logan, I think they sell on taobao as well. let me ask them for the link.

Although - for the ones that I use myself in the DC, I am starting to replace (hot air desolder/resolder) them with TI regulators simply for due diligence as you never know if the regulators are new or reclaimed...
Please, if you find a link to the ones you use I'd be very grateful!

I also may opt for this replacement approach. It wouldn't then matter which regulator it ships with, if I simply source the TI LM1084 3.3V regulator separately.

Reactions: Xfinity

Xfinity

May 21, 2012
I would also be very interested in finding good adapters to use with these SSDs. Thanks in advance!

logan893

Aug 12, 2016
I found one or two on taobao that seem to have 1084-style regulators (BM1084). The site is difficult to navigate for a non-chinese. Prices seem cheap, but I don't quite understand if I need to select additional shipping options, which will also bump up the price.

On Aliexpress, most options seem to be using a 1A regulator (e.g. AM1117). I found one with BM1084 according to the item pictures. I've asked the seller to confirm.
1.8" Micro SATA 16pin SSD to 2.5" SATA 22Pin 7+15 Hard Disk Case Enclosure-in HDD Enclosure from Computer & Office on Aliexpress.com | Alibaba Group

Their price is $11 each (including shipping).

My concern is that under heavy use the drive and voltage regulator may get quite hot, especially with the plastic housing. I may need to cut holes in the plastic or figure out some other way to keep them cool.

I also don't know the BM brand for semiconductors. Does anyone have any experience with BM (the name I find is Bookly Micro Electronics)? Seems to be a Chinese company.

Indecided

Sep 5, 2015
Ah, I was halfway replying but it seems you beat me to it.

Yep - those look like the exact same ones I have. Same regulator brand too.

Here's the link for the regulator.
http://www.bookly.com/images/BM1084.pdf

As for the concerns with heat, FR4 is a pretty good conductor. And for the other side, I've put a thin thermal conductive sheet on it. Simply so act as a heat spreader.. I've been looking for those with a metal case to replace them in the long term.

logan893

Aug 12, 2016
The Aliexpress seller of the item I linked is unfortunately unable to communicate properly, or does not seem to know what he is selling. He claims there is no voltage regulator.

If the product matches the pictures, it may be a somewhat expensive but otherwise good option. I really dislike that I can't verify it by speaking with the seller. I have yet to find any other options where pictures have clearly visible model numbers on the voltage regulator.

Xfinity

May 21, 2012
Thanks for the link, bought two for testing purposes. Unfortunately the shipping time is over two-three weeks so it can take a while until I get back to you guys/gals.

logan893

Aug 12, 2016
In a moment of weakness, I decided I should also pick up two of these adapters and give them a try. They arrived yesterday, and have non-descript 1084 regulators. The PCBs look basically like the pictures on the seller's item page.

Hooked them up and they seem to do the trick. I'm using a bit of thermal padding on the top side of the drive facing the plastic cover. I doubt it will do much, but I also didn't want the pads on the label side, which is facing the PCB. If anything the added pressure may produce some better contact between the PCB and the metal cover of the 1.8" drive, for slightly better heat transfer on that side.

The drives are mounted in an IcyDock ExpressCage (MB324SP-B) which has room for four 2.5" drives up to 12mm, and a tiny 40mm fan at the back. Took a few attempts and some deep breaths to get the drives to slide in fully and lock in place. The PCB of the adapter may be a hair too tall, putting it ever so slightly too high up for the mounting brackets to line up ideally with the SATA and power connector at the back. It wasn't as smooth as I would have hoped for one of the two, but now they can slide in and out fairly well.

Tried a few reboots and power off/on cycles, and they seem stable in my RAID1 array (LSI9212-4i4e SAS2008, IR mode).

Unfortunately I cannot monitor the SMART details through the controller while in IR mode. At least not in ESXi, as far as I know.

Last edited: