$120: NEW! Intel DC S3700 400Gb 1.8" SSD

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

logan893

Aug 12, 2016
Yep, no issues with the adapters! Drives have been working really well for me for the past six months.

Now if only I could get my hands on more of those Intel DC S3700 drives at good prices. :)

logan893

Aug 12, 2016
@sparx The ones I got my hands on were almost unused, and I think I paid around £180 including shipping for two of the DC S3700 400GB 1.8".

marcoi

Apr 6, 2013
Gotha Florida
do these drives make for a good slog drive for Freenas? How about 200 gb vs 400? I was thinking of getting 2 and setting them up in raid 1 and using them for slog for 4x 8tg drive in raid 10. The use case is storage for my ESXI VMs to run off of and be backed up too.

sparx

Jul 16, 2015
Sweden
I think its far too big for a slog. Im no expert in zfs, but if you havent got an array of 12+ disks, a slog would make performance worse. More ram is much better.

marcoi

Apr 6, 2013
Gotha Florida
@sparx I think you are referring to ZIL. I have 32GB Ram setup on the server and reads are good. The SLOG would be for write operations using NFS mounts to my esxi server. Currently with 4 evo 850 ssd drives and sync = always, I'm getting writes around 80 MB with NFS. ISCSI is a bit better at 300 MB range. Without sync = always i max out 10gb connection but it's also not recommended to run it that way.

logan893

Aug 12, 2016
@sparx Yep, Sweden.

@marcoi These are great for SLOG. Superb endurance, power loss protection, high and consistent IOPS, and low and very consistent write latency. Just over provision the drives by making the partition small, like 8-20 GB, enough to cover 2-3 times the size of one transaction group. The size you need will vary based on your RAM size and other hardware + settings (flush time, network speed, etc).

I don't use mine for SLOG. My two DC S3700 400GB drives are configured in RAID 1 with a very simple, non-caching, hardware RAID controller (SAS2008). They perform great for all my VMs.

ZFS SLOG is only useful for synchronous writes, which itself is a good idea when running VMs from the array. RAM will not help performance for synchronous writes. The benefit of an SLOG is that you can treat the writes as asynchronous and temporarily store them in the regular transaction log in RAM after they have been committed to the SLOG device, instead of having to wait while each is committed to the spinning media.

SLOG is a dedicated device for ZIL. Without SLOG, the ZIL for synchronous writes is stored on the same media as long-term storage, only it has to be written twice. First quickly to prevent data loss, and then again as part of the regular write flush of a transaction group.