12 sfp+ + 4 10gbe rj45 - Ubiquiti Edgeswitch 16xg

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.
Sep 22, 2015
Bought the "controller managed" version, using it to join all my fiber runs together. Haven't had any issues with SFP+ compatibility, but I'm not using any DACs.

Support has no idea how it works or what to do with it, so be prepared to figure it out yourself. On the plus side, there's very little actual configuration options to figure out anyway.

I enabled jumbo frames which turned out to be in a weird menu. I haven't tried VLANS yet

Reactions: Patrick

stringfellowhawk

Aug 19, 2016
Just got mine today. A bit disappointed that it will not work with my nodes-supplied of Molex 3m DAC SFP+ cable (also posted in the other ES-16-XG SFP+ compatibility thread). Immediately tested and bought couple of working Mikrotik SFP+ 1m DACs at a very good price. Build quality is good with rubber boots and rack ears included. Much lighter and much quiter 10G switch for my POCs/demos, which is very important to me. I'm going to use it with my hyperconverged appliance and see how it goes from there. Cheers!

Sent from my EVA-L19 using Tapatalk

MiniKnight

Mar 30, 2012
NYC
Mine has essentially turned into a 5 port switch. 4x10Gbase-T + one SFP+ optics that works.

Nick Nick

Jul 17, 2016
Also note that in the ubiquiti forums, people posted about this not working with the xeon-d 10gbase-t motherboards, like the supermicro one. Someone from ubiquiti said they were working on it, fix hopefully coming in january. So there's potential of buying this and it not working until January (or never working, if they can't fix it?), if you want 10gbase-t instead of sfp+.

BLinux

cat lover server enthusiast
Jul 7, 2016
artofserver.com
for those who bought and still using this switch, what's the current state of the firmware and compatibility issues?

PigLover

Jan 26, 2011
Copper 10g-baseT ports basically do not work @ 10g. They make fune 1gbit ports.

Its very disappointing.

Sent from my VS996 using Tapatalk

PigLover

Jan 26, 2011
how about the SFP+ ports? sounds like DACs had (still have) issues? how about optical?
Lots of known working optics are available. Ubiquiti branded are a sure thing. FS has Ubiquiti labeled devices. I'm using Arista with not problem. Reports are DAC is more stable now, but I went all optical to work around the DAC issues and havent retested DAC.

BLinux

cat lover server enthusiast
Jul 7, 2016
artofserver.com
Lots of known working optics are available. Ubiquiti branded are a sure thing. FS has Ubiquiti labeled devices. I'm using Arista with not problem. Reports are DAC is more stable now, but I went all optical to work around the DAC issues and havent retested DAC.

yeah, i was thinking if i got this switch, I would go all optical on the 12 SFP+ ports. i had heard the copper ports had some problems with certain NICs, and then later read that a lot of that may have to do with cables?

Jeff Robertson

Oct 18, 2016
Chico, CA
I may be an outlier but I've had nothing but good luck with my two switches. The only 10G module I haven't been able to get to work is a cheap cisco pair I bought from ebay. I recommend putting a couple of noctua 40mm fans in the chassis if you are looking for silence, the stock fans are pretty quiet but much louder than the noctua's. If you stick with optical transceivers and fiber patch cables you should be good to go. FS has a pair of compatible transceivers for about $32 plus shipping, the Ubiquiti transceivers can be had for just over forty on amazon for the pair.

I do have to say that Mikrotik has a fiber only switch out now for about $400 which you may want to look into as well. If you don't use unifi then the Mikrotik should have better compatibility and the fans only turn on under very high temps.

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
My CRS317 spins fans constantly. Very loud only 2x SFP+ connected and very little traffic.

Jeff Robertson

Oct 18, 2016
Chico, CA
My CRS317 spins fans constantly. Very loud only 2x SFP+ connected and very little traffic.
Good to know, I saw a review in which the fan spun up at startup and then stayed off permanently. If that's not the case I would steer clear of that model, I'm sensitive to noise though. Could you replace the fans with Noctua's?