12 sfp+ + 4 10gbe rj45 - Ubiquiti Edgeswitch 16xg

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

IamSpartacus

Mar 14, 2016
Uhhh, this is sounding like I already want to return it.

Should listen to the advice of many, and only pick up V2 versions of their hardware.
Agreed. I'm not liking where this is going at all.

trumee

Jan 31, 2016
Well I guess I am one of those few users then since that is exactly where I was hoping to set one up. Currently renting a room and need to have everything setup in there

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yup, me too

Reactions: JustinH

itguy82

Mar 1, 2015
Hm...

Mine is rock solid. Like I said, you can hear it, but I like the fact that all of the functions on it work.. as opposed to my two Quanta switches :p

Having the GUI is also a nice touch for those moments when I don't want to be a CLI warrior.

BLinux

cat lover server enthusiast
Jul 7, 2016
artofserver.com
Hm...

Mine is rock solid. Like I said, you can hear it, but I like the fact that all of the functions on it work.. as opposed to my two Quanta switches :p

Having the GUI is also a nice touch for those moments when I don't want to be a CLI warrior.
can you download a db sound level meter on your phone and get a reading 1-ft in front and in back of the switch?

PigLover

Jan 26, 2011
I was on backorder with Streakwave - canceled it for now. Will wait for a few more reviews.

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
I tried plugging in only port 13 (I know...) to a Mikrotik CRS226 1GbE port. Had to reboot pfSense and all three Mikrotiks to get the network back online.

Next attempt: bringing it up on a dedicated interface on my desktop. That worked. I made a video of the setup.

Also - anyone looking to purchase one of these units want me to make a short video of the menu options so you can get an idea of the features?

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
Video #1:

This got me up and running after resetting the DHCP settings and giving it a static IP address.

Also - I found that the latest firmware is 1.6.0 while the unit shipped with 1.4.0. Upgrading now. The 1.4.0 firmware failed to start https and SSH services via the web GUI.

Last edited:

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
Here is a picture of how the unit was received:

I pushed the review up. This was one of a number of issues I found. Using the web GUI to change HTTPS to on:

Very hard review to do. I think that the unit I got was probably a fluke in terms of quality control but using the switch beyond a superficial level it still has some rough edges.

IamSpartacus

Mar 14, 2016
Here is a picture of how the unit was received:

I pushed the review up. This was one of a number of issues I found. Using the web GUI to change HTTPS to on:

Very hard review to do. I think that the unit I got was probably a fluke in terms of quality control but using the switch beyond a superficial level it still has some rough edges.
Keep the info coming Patrick.

Any feedback on how much you can configure in the CLI? I'm personally not a fan of GUI's for switches.

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
Keep the info coming Patrick.

Any feedback on how much you can configure in the CLI? I'm personally not a fan of GUI's for switches.
Likely going to work on that when I get back from VMworld. To me the issue with CLI on these switches is that it is another command interface to learn.

Oh and... Starting the SSH CLI from the web management interface fails. I even updated to the latest 1.6.0 firmware.

If you see anyone raving about these switches in their current they never got past the superficial spec lists. In the first 8 minutes I unintentionally found 3 features that were in the management interface but were not functioning.

Once past the SFP+ optics and DAC compatibility abyss, setting it up off network, doing basic tasks such as setting up VLANs is very simple. Performance is OK albeit slightly lower than higher end switches eg Broadcom Trident II based. I would still argue enabling HTTPS and SSH CLI is basic functionality but for the price if you need a simple 10GbE switch it is good once running.

Beware - I am sure we will see a flood of positive reseller sponsored reviews that gloss over basic features. I can see a day when the software matures and the switches are by far the best on the market given their pricing. Until that happens, buying one is an investment in the future on the features side/ or just be happy with cheap 10GbE ports that can handle VLANs.

Full review is 98% written. Expect to see it Thursday.

Reactions: ignx

legopc

Nov 2, 2014
The Netherlands
I have one that should arrive today, I'll try to find out. Do you know what commands I should run?
I have no idea, I would usually just carefully watch the bootup and maybe look in the bootmenu for system information, But usually I'd just pull the switch apart, but with a new switch that isnt really an option. Im not known with the cli of the edgeswitch so I cant really tell you what commands to run.

wildchild

Feb 4, 2014
Isnf this this running vyatta (edgeos)

If so , cli should be very similar to junos

IamSpartacus

Mar 14, 2016
Likely going to work on that when I get back from VMworld. To me the issue with CLI on these switches is that it is another command interface to learn.

Oh and... Starting the SSH CLI from the web management interface fails. I even updated to the latest 1.6.0 firmware.

If you see anyone raving about these switches in their current they never got past the superficial spec lists. In the first 8 minutes I unintentionally found 3 features that were in the management interface but were not functioning.

Once past the SFP+ optics and DAC compatibility abyss, setting it up off network, doing basic tasks such as setting up VLANs is very simple. Performance is OK albeit slightly lower than higher end switches eg Broadcom Trident II based. I would still argue enabling HTTPS and SSH CLI is basic functionality but for the price if you need a simple 10GbE switch it is good once running.

Beware - I am sure we will see a flood of positive reseller sponsored reviews that gloss over basic features. I can see a day when the software matures and the switches are by far the best on the market given their pricing. Until that happens, buying one is an investment in the future on the features side/ or just be happy with cheap 10GbE ports that can handle VLANs.

Full review is 98% written. Expect to see it Thursday.
Thanks for the detailed feedback @Patrick. I'm going to do my own testing when mine arrives tonight but I'm not feeling very feeling positive right now. I wish the Cisco SG350XG-24 wasn't 4 times the price of this switch. I may just have to live with the drawbacks being that it's hard to justify more than $1000 for a home switch.

Reactions: ignx