10Gbit/s pci-e 4.0 x1 nic?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

RobstarUSA

Sep 15, 2016
Since I bought a CRS317 as my main switch, I've been equipping most of my desktops & test servers with 10Gbit/s nics and blowing an x16 slot to fit them. I usually have x1 slots left over with nothing in them.

With x570 being pci-4.0, x1 should have enough bandwidth to handle 10Gbit/s no problem. Has anyone made any pcie-4.0 x1 nics? I'm ok with either copper or fiber, but prefer fiber. Currently I've been buying the realtek RTL8125 based nics for $20-$40 for these boxes, but if something better is out there I'm all ears.

Tom5051

Jan 18, 2017
I doubt one will exist until Aquantia / Marvell makes a 4.0 version of their chip.
It wouldn't surprise me if intel never makes a single port 10gbe 4.0 chip. Their market is firmly commercial. Commercial is going 25gb. And single port was probably not very popular in commercial
The widespread use in 10gbe in consumer space is all the Aquantia chip. It's the only cheap option but used Intel or Melanox/Nvidia cards.

Last edited:

Falloutboy

Oct 23, 2011
I doubt one will exist until Aquantia makes a 4.0 version of their chip.
It wouldn't surprise me if intel never makes a single port 10gbe 4.0 chip. Their market is firmly commercial. Commercial is going 25gb. And single port was probably not very popular in commercial
The widespread use in 10gbe in consumer space is all the Aquantia chip. It's the only cheap option but used Intel\Melanox cards.
Aquantia is no longer as far as I am aware, owned by Marvell. Melanox is now Nvidia and I was not aware they had an AQC on board any product afaik Mellanox is all custom IC. I also have not seen a mellanox offering in pcie 4 x 1 or less than pcie3 x 8 I think there might be a x4 mechanical but don't quote me on that.

Scarlet

Jul 29, 2019
I also have not seen a mellanox offering in pcie 4 x 1 or less than pcie3 x 8 I think there might be a x4 mechanical but don't quote me on that.
The Mellanox ConnectX-3 Single Port 10G card (MCX311A) ist PCIe 3.0 x4 mechanical and electrical. I bought this one for my PC because most consumer boards have at most PCIe 3.0 / 4.0 x4 available without cutting the slot for the graphics card from x16 to x8.

I would also like to see a PCIe 4.0 x1 10G card - have not done the math if the bandwith would be enough for 10G as PCIe 3.0 x4 should be twice the bandwidth of PCIe 4.0 x1.

i386

Mar 18, 2016
Germany
I would also like to see a PCIe 4.0 x1 10G card - have not done the math if the bandwith would be enough for 10G as PCIe 3.0 x4 should be twice the bandwidth of PCIe 4.0 x1.
PCIE 4.0 x1 is 16GT/s which is ~1,6GByte/s, enough for a single 10GBE port

RobstarUSA

Sep 15, 2016
But there are no PCIe4 x 1 cards and if you put a PCIe3x1 into a 4x1 it will operate at 3x1 not 4.
That is true, however even worse is trying to fit an x8 card into an x1/x4 slot. it doesn't work at all unless you physically cut the end of the slot.

Falloutboy

Oct 23, 2011
That is true, however even worse is trying to fit an x8 card into an x1/x4 slot. it doesn't work at all unless you physically cut the end of the slot.
For a network card if it's x8 and you put it in a x1 or x4 slot it's not going to work anyway as far as I am aware unless that network card is x8 physically but only uses 4 lanes.

RobstarUSA

Sep 15, 2016
For a network card if it's x8 and you put it in a x1 or x4 slot it's not going to work anyway as far as I am aware unless that network card is x8 physically but only uses 4 lanes.
It should drop down the number of lanes. I've had x8 electrical cards in x16 physical, x4 electrical work just fine, at reduced speeds.

NablaSquaredG

Layer 1 Magician
Aug 17, 2020
It should drop down the number of lanes.
That's generally true, but I've heard of exceptions, i.e. cards that don't work below a certain number of lanes (be it because you put it inside an x1 slot or because the x4 slot is only an x1 electrically)

Tom5051

Jan 18, 2017
If you have any Thunderbolt 3 ports, you could get a 10G dongle from Sonnet or Qnap... I have a Sonnet 10G SFP+ hooked up to my laptop and it silent, works at the full 10G (QNAP unit has a small fan), they both use Aquantia/Marvell chips so well supported. Might be easier to find a PCIe 4.0 Thunderbolt card in 1x than a NIC.

Reactions: RobstarUSA

Think

Jul 5, 2017
Old thread, but as I just had the same problem as well, maybe this helps others: I tried an ASUS XG-C100C (PCIe 3.0 x4) and an OWC 10G Ethernet Adapter (PCIe 4.0 x4 interface) on my board with a PCI 4.0 x1 slot, open in the back. Both cards fit physically and work. The ASUS yields about 6Gbit, the OWC full 10G (9.x with iPerf).

kirkyg

Jan 27, 2023
@Think
Is this the card that you used?

It says its pci e x4 but it looks to me like a x1 slot, no? Or is it a difference ethernet adapter you bought? What company/chipset is used on these NIC's and what cpu utilization have you witnessed? I read that they do have linux drivers which is important to me since i would be installing this in a pci e 4.0 x1slot AMD zen 3 system running proxmox for virtualization. If it is x4 does that mean you had to cut out the plastic on the end of the slot to make it work or does your board have open ended x1 slots?

jdnz

Apr 29, 2021
It says its pci e x4 but it looks to me like a x1 slot, no? Or is it a difference ethernet adapter you bought? What company/chipset is used on these NIC's and what cpu utilization have you witnessed? I read that they do have linux drivers which is important to me since i would be installing this in a pci e 4.0 x1slot AMD zen 3 system running proxmox for virtualization. If it is x4 does that mean you had to cut out the plastic on the end of the slot to make it work or does your board have open ended x1 slots?
the owc product page states it's aqc113cs based ( no surprise - only low cost pcie4 10gbe solution ) and you can see it's physically x4 ( so to use in an x1 slot you'll need an open ended slot )

kirkyg

Jan 27, 2023
the owc product page states it's aqc113cs based ( no surprise - only low cost pcie4 10gbe solution ) and you can see it's physically x4 ( so to use in an x1 slot you'll need an open ended slot )

I thought x4 cards are wider on the none power section of the electric circuit connector that goes in the slot. The picture of the card from owc shows them both the same size (very small) is this not what the card actually looks like?

Think

Jul 5, 2017
Yes, I have the OWC card. It’s physically x4 in terms of its size, but works very well here in a x1 slot that is open at its back.

Reactions: jdnz

jdnz

Apr 29, 2021
I thought x4 cards are wider on the none power section of the electric circuit connector that goes in the slot. The picture of the card from owc shows them both the same size (very small) is this not what the card actually looks like?
the image on their website has the 'extension' too long to be x1 but too short to be x4 - the product page states 'x1 for pcie4 and x2 for pcie3' but also lists that card as physically x4 - I suspect it's likely actually gone for the seldom seen x2 connector

I've got a asus c100c-v2 sitting on the shelf here ( asus' new aqc113 based card ) and it's definitely x4 ( same as the aqc107 based v1 ) - since both the owc or asus will require an open ended x1 slot to physically install so you might as well go with the more available/cheaper c100c-v2

kirkyg

Jan 27, 2023
the image on their website has the 'extension' too long to be x1 but too short to be x4 - the product page states 'x1 for pcie4 and x2 for pcie3' but also lists that card as physically x4 - I suspect it's likely actually gone for the seldom seen x2 connector

I've got a asus c100c-v2 sitting on the shelf here ( asus' new aqc113 based card ) and it's definitely x4 ( same as the aqc107 based v1 ) - since both the owc or asus will require an open ended x1 slot to physically install so you might as well go with the more available/cheaper c100c-v2
Thanks that is super helpful. I have a board msi Meg unify x570 that has nvme drives next to the slots so I don't have much clearance. I might be able to get away with x2 if I cut the edge of the slot but it would not work for a x4 it would run into the nvme heat sync I think.

Think

Jul 5, 2017
Maybe I had an older version of the ASUS here. I tried both in my PCIe 4.0 x1 slot, and only the OWC yielded full 10 GBit speeds. The ASUS topped out at 6-7 GBit. iPerf:

ASUS

[SUM] 0.0-10.0 sec 7.18 GBytes 6.16 Gbits/sec

OWC

[SUM] 0.0-10.2 sec 11.0 GBytes 9.29 Gbits/sec

kirkyg

Jan 27, 2023

What kind of. Cpu usage can I expect from a 8-16 core zen 3 using this adapter during network use?