10Gbe Switch Suggestions

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

TallGraham

Apr 28, 2013
Hastings, England
Hi All

After the documented issues on here that I had with my Quad Port 1Gbe cards I have thought "Why don't I just bite the bullet and go 10Gbe"

With this is mind I have been chatting with @nry ,another forum member ,who has a Dell PowerConnect 8024F switch and is very happy with it.

If you haven't seen my other thread, I recently recabled my house with CAT6 cable so would be nice if I could run the majority of it over 10G-Base-T connections. However, I do also have 3 x Brocade BR-1020 cards and Active Twinax cables for them. So I am guessing they could go into the normal fibre ports on some switches.

Ideally I would want a switch that could make use of my existing CAT6 cabling but also use the Brocade cards that would live in the servers, in the network cabinet, with the switch.

The fibre side of stuff to me is all very new indeed so please give me the "pop up book" version.

So open to suggestions please?

NeverDie

Jan 28, 2015
USA
Hi All

After the documented issues on here that I had with my Quad Port 1Gbe cards I have thought "Why don't I just bite the bullet and go 10Gbe"

With this is mind I have been chatting with @nry ,another forum member ,who has a Dell PowerConnect 8024F switch and is very happy with it.

If you haven't seen my other thread, I recently recabled my house with CAT6 cable so would be nice if I could run the majority of it over 10G-Base-T connections. However, I do also have 3 x Brocade BR-1020 cards and Active Twinax cables for them. So I am guessing they could go into the normal fibre ports on some switches.

Ideally I would want a switch that could make use of my existing CAT6 cabling but also use the Brocade cards that would live in the servers, in the network cabinet, with the switch.

The fibre side of stuff to me is all very new indeed so please give me the "pop up book" version.

So open to suggestions please?
+1
I have Cat6A cabling that I've pulled but haven't yet terminated. Is it even possible to do 10Gbe on it? What sort of terminations/connectors are required to get 10Gbe?

TallGraham

Apr 28, 2013
Hastings, England
+1
I have Cat6A cabling that I've pulled but haven't yet terminated. Is it even possible to do 10Gbe on it? What sort of terminations/connectors are required to get 10Gbe?
There are both switches and network cards that have the "Base-T" ethernet connector. So just fit the normal CAT6 ethernet ends. Then use patch leads like normal. Intel make 10G-Base-T network cards amongst others

Aestr

Oct 22, 2014
Seattle
+1
Standard RJ45(8P8C) connectors. Just make sure the connectors are also rated 6A. IMO you're better off terminating those long runs to a patch panel and buying premade patch cables to connect with. It's far easier to punch down a patch panel correctly than crimp cables.

capn_pineapple

Aug 28, 2013
Cat5e will do 10Gbps up to around 50m happily after that it tends to drop off slowly,
Cat6 is poop so ignore it,
Cat6a is the actually tested and certified cable which will do 10Gbps up to 100m (according to the standard)

Reactions: Chuckleb

Chuckleb

Mar 5, 2013
Minnesota
Sweet, so I should be able to get anywhere in my house. Does anyone make an SFP to RJ45 converter? :) I have VPI cards so could convert and not buy new cards.

TallGraham

Apr 28, 2013
Hastings, England
I don't think you can get an SFP+ 10G-Base-T transceiver. I have looked for ages. It apparently has something to do with the power usage on the SFP+ standard being to low for 10G-Base-T.

I have seen SFP+ to 10G-Base-T external converter boxes. But these also require external power and are hundreds of pounds.

So I guess you would need 10G-Base-T cards and switches. From my other research it appears 10G will work on CAT6 cable fine for up to 55m.

I would prefer a switch that has both 10G-Base-T and SFP+ ports on it and is also layer 3. So any suggestions people?

Reactions: T_Minus

badskater

Automation Architect
May 8, 2013
Canada
The most likely switch for you would be a Dell Powerconnect either a 8024, 8132 or 8164. The non-F version, so RJ45 + either 2 QSFP+ with a QSFP->4SFP+ twinax (81xx series), or 4 SFP+ port (8024). There's also the NetGear XSM7224 like Chuckleb said. There's the Force10 (Dell Networking) S4820T that appears on eBay sometimes, but not for cheap...

I told you the cheapest, because, Cisco, Arista, HP, Supermicro has some, but for >$10k which you most likely aren't ready to pay for them. I told you those I know, that we can find on eBay between $1k and $2.5k.

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
do quiet 10Gbe RJ45 switches even exist ?
The issue comes down to the fact that 10Gbase-T is much noisier over longer runs. That means more processing which consumes more power and hence more heat and noise.

Check some of the thermal testing on 10Gbase-T motherboards we do. The NICs are much hotter. Meanwhile, Intel's Fortville adapters will do 8x 10Gb SFP+ or 2x 40GB QSFP+ generating little power/ heat. Here is the Intel Fortville thermal testing.

Chuckleb

Mar 5, 2013
Minnesota
Yep, tried those. They don't work with Gnodal switches 10Gbps switches. I think the switch doesn't like SFP and wants SFP+ only. They are only Gigabit only too. :)

eva2000

Apr 15, 2013
Brisbane, Australia
centminmod.com
The issue comes down to the fact that 10Gbase-T is much noisier over longer runs. That means more processing which consumes more power and hence more heat and noise.

Check some of the thermal testing on 10Gbase-T motherboards we do. The NICs are much hotter. Meanwhile, Intel's Fortville adapters will do 8x 10Gb SFP+ or 2x 40GB QSFP+ generating little power/ heat. Here is the Intel Fortville thermal testing.
thanks for that article.. wow huge difference, I am using Intel X540-T2s myself heh

TallGraham

Apr 28, 2013
Hastings, England
This Cisco switch looks good with a mix of BaseT and SFP+ ports. Pricey though, and fairly new so will probably be a while before any second hand ones become available

Cisco SG500XG-8F8T-K9-G5 - CSB 16-PORT 10GIG MANAGED SWITC - IN | eBay

This is a bit pricey as well..... but look at what you get for your money!

Myricom Myri-10G 64 x 10GB SFP and 48 Port QSFP 10GB Switch | eBay

With regard to the power and the heat required for 10G-Base-T ports that Patrick reports that is pretty much what I have discovered so far as well. Hence why no SFP+ to 10G-Base-T transceivers can ever be made. However if the heat is that bad then why not just make the switch in a 1.5U or 2U chassis allowing for bigger and quieter fans that allow far more airflow. Lets face it with the 10x speed increase per port it doesn't matter that it is using a bit more real estate in the rack.