10gbe SFP+ Intel/HELP!

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Jason Hirsch

Feb 12, 2018
Not Melodramatic.

I need to move a lot of data but be backward compatible. Went 40gbe to 4x10gbe and LAGG, but that doesn't work under the storage array (Still resolving) and isn't compatible with Windows 10 (surprise OS change).

So I'd like to use Intel X520 cards (dual SFP+)- but I find out there's no backward fallback to 1gbe, and if I'm teaming then I lose the whole link. That's sorta out then.

I can't use X710 cards because... no windows 10 support. So that's out.

I've got Mellanox 40gbE cards but can't team them... so that's out (well it's installed but ... out). I suppose I could buy another switch for 4K$ and just do 40gbE, but..... Ya know, that almost sounds reasonable.

Anyways, suggestions really welcome here. I'm stuck.

(Oh and have some Chelsio 40gbE cards but I'm really not pleased with how much trouble they're giving me on Freenase/Windows).

Terry Kennedy

Jun 25, 2015
New York City
www.glaver.org
So I'd like to use Intel X520 cards (dual SFP+)- but I find out there's no backward fallback to 1gbe, and if I'm teaming then I lose the whole link. That's sorta out then.
I have a system with an X520-DA1, identified as:
Code:
ix0@pci0:6:0:0: class=0x020000 card=0x00068086 chip=0x10fb8086 rev=0x01 hdr=0x00
    vendor     = 'Intel Corporation'
    device     = '82599ES 10-Gigabit SFI/SFP+ Network Connection'
    class      = network
    subclass   = ethernet
and it definitely works at both Gigabit and 10 Gigabit speeds with the same SFP+ module. It is in another state and in production, so I can't pull the SFP+ to check, but I think it is an Intel-branded FTLX8571D3BCV-IT - at least, that's what the part I have here labeled "spare" is. Here is the datasheet, and it says it is a dual-rate part. Intel also says that part works in the X520 card.

Reactions: Evan

Jason Hirsch

Feb 12, 2018
Well, Dangit. The Vendor (IX here) says there is no 1gbe for the unit x520, and if it drops to 1gbe (For whatever reason) then I lose the LAGG. Yet you and the documentation contradicts this. That would really simplify things if that works, as I already have 2 of them on hand so I could test them.

Thanks for the heads up there.

Evan

Jan 6, 2016
I have to say I had no idea they had such an SFP and config, I have got the cards to work on 1G. It with a 1G SFP. Think it was a generic GLC-SX-MMD that I used.