10GbE Setup

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

ARAMP1

Apr 17, 2016
Memphis, TN
I'm a networking noob and I'm just messing around with my home setup.

I just bought a Netgear XS712T 12 port copper switch for fairly cheap. I have an Intel X540-T1 card in my main Windows 10 desktop and Chelsio T420-BT cards in my unRaid server and my FreeNAS server. I'm running pfSense and all computers are on the 192.168.1.X subnet.

Just with plugging everything in, all the traffic defers to the 1Gb NICs.

I assume I have to give new IP addresses for the new interfaces? Should I put the 10GbE stuff on a different subnet?

What's the best way to set this up?

Last edited:

ttabbal

Mar 10, 2016
Don't put more than one interface on the same subnet on the same machine. Ideally, you would not connect the 1Gb ports at all on the 10Gb capable machines. If you must do both, they need to be different subnets.

Reactions: ARAMP1

ARAMP1

Apr 17, 2016
Memphis, TN
I suppose if it's something that isn't cable of 10Gb connecting to the server, it'll connect through the switch just at 1Gb?

ttabbal

Mar 10, 2016
So long as the 1Gb switch is connected to the 10Gb switch, yes. The switches just handle it.

I use an LB4M, 48x1Gb, 2x10Gb. The server is on 10Gb, everything else is on 1Gb. The switch will deal with the speed differences for you. Just like connecting a bunch of 100M and 1Gb stuff.

Reactions: ARAMP1

Anathematician

Jan 19, 2017
I would agree with what @ARAMP1 mentioned regarding your network set up for logical and security purposes but I would also add that having some Chelsio adapters myself you could use some FS SFP Best Price Cisco SFP-10G-SR 10GBASE-SR SFP+ LC Transceiver for your card if you still need optics.
Yay, more fiberstore spam. That adapter is copper.

Have you checked the link at the switch? Is the link up at 10gb? If it is, start troubleshooting with iperf and the normal tools to try and determine what’s slowing you down.

Last edited: