10Gbase-T transceivers that support DDM (power/temperature) reporting?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

victorhooi

Apr 18, 2018
Hi,

Does anybody know what 10Gbase-T optics (transceivers) support any kind of DDM/DOM monitoring? I'm looking specifically at power/temperature metrics.

A lot of the ServeTheHome reviews of the 10Gbase-T adapters seem to have stats on power consumption in watts - however, if you check with say FS.com, they explicitly say that they don't support DDM/DOM on copper transceivers. Does anybody know what the story here is? (This review seems to suggest they were using some kind of multimeter - were they just measuring power at the wall?)

I did notice the Mikrotik S+RJ10 mentions it does support DDM reporting - however, is this the only one? What do you use to get temperature/power reporting on yours?

Thanks!

i386

Mar 18, 2016
Germany
I don't use sfp+ to 10gbase-t adapters so I can't give input on that topic :D

10Gbase-T optics
10gbase-t is the standard for 10gigabit/s ethernet over twisted pair copper cables (hence the "t" for twisted pair in the standard behind "base"). Copper and optics don't mix very well :D

DOM stands for digital optical monitoring, not applicable for twisted pair ethernet. it provides information for transmitter and receiver power, laser current, temperature and transceiver voltage (Digital Optical Monitoring - DOM)

Tom5051

Jan 18, 2017
I can confirm the SFP-10GSR-85 model works with Intel and Ubiquiti gear. OM3 LC/LC runs up to 65m no problems here. Have not tested longer runs but whatever they are rated to they should do no problems.

1654346222649.png

victorhooi

Apr 18, 2018
Thanks for the replies!

However, I'm looking specifically at copper transceivers if possible.

The Mikrotik S+RJ10 specifically mentions:

- DDM monitoring (Supply Voltage, Module temperature) is now supported.

Hence I'm wondering if anybody is aware of any other copper SFP+ transceivers that support reporting stuff like temperature, power consumption etc?

victorhooi

Apr 18, 2018
Oh - that's very helpful.

I can look into this - temporarily out of stock, but hopefully will come back soon.

Just curious - have you only tested the 80m version?

I've read elsewhere that 30m vs 80m - often the 30m use a lower-end/cheaper chipset (e.g. Marvell vs Broadcom) - curious if that explains the better efficiency/lower heat?

Hopefully those power/temperature metrics are accurate =).

lifemathematician

Apr 3, 2022
Just curious - have you only tested the 80m version?
I have only used the 80m Fiber Mall modules. For 30m I've tested Wiitek, Ipolex and the S+RJ10. The Wiitek and S+RJ10 reported temperature but the Ipolex did not.

If I had to buy more I would probably get the 80m ones for the lower power consumption, cooler temperatures (which is noticeable by touch too) and better tolerance for non-standard cabling. I'm running a pair of the 80m modules at 10gbit on 30ft of CAT5e with no errors or drops.