10Gb SFP+ single port = cheaper than dirt

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Spartus

Mar 28, 2012
Toronto, Canada
I have yet to try a transceiver that didnt work. Mellanox (obviously), dell, and finistar so far.
I tried also an active DAC from brocade, was fine. never used passive, I tend to use optics.

Chuckleb

Mar 5, 2013
Minnesota
We too switched over to optics and all you mentioned are great. For copper, we have done Mellanox and some no-name brands off eBay, all worked fine.

homelab74656

Jul 22, 2015
I just put in an offer of $26 for two of the cards, hopefully he accepts it! Does anyone know if this works with ESXi 6.0? If not, I guess I can vt-d it to one of my W2K12 R2 guests.

Any suggestions on a SFP+ direct attach cable? The servers are sitting on top of each other, so I only need half a metre or so.

Rain

May 13, 2013
Does anyone know if this works with ESXi 6.0?
They should work great in ESXi 6.0. I have a number of the dual-port version of these ConnectX-2 EN cards in ESXi machines and they work wonderfully! They're supported with the built-in drivers, too! (Well, not "supported" by Mellanox anymore, but you don't need to hack in drivers or anything -- they work with what's built in).

Aluminum

Sep 7, 2012
Mellanox doesn't do stupid eeprom checks on plug-in modules AFAIK, so anything that conforms to the port type should work.

They really should have written that stupidly abused option out of the spec with QSFP, sigh, maybe the next widely used network port design will.

BTW:

(or take the money you'd spend on an add-in NIC and buy a slightly better motherboard to begin with)
Some board configurations there really is no other choice, realjunk is the ultimate shovelware peddler of chipsets and a lot of OEMs just can't resist :(

Jeggs101

Dec 29, 2010
Do you need 5m? Passive at 5m is on the longer side I'd think. You can direct connect using DACs.

abq

May 23, 2015
The esiso guy is not taking less than $34 for two. Has anyone else been able to get them for less?
Hi Homelab74656,

I actually made a single offer of $30 for pair, to which Esisoinc counter with even cheaper $28 for the pair. Obviously, I accepted his first counter offer:) ...Maybe Esisoinc is running low on stock now? ...Maybe Esisoinc gave me deal for buying from him before (Esisoinc has been great seller with me). ...Sorry, don't know what happened with your bid, but you might mention my $28 deal and not push lower.

Regrets,
Abq

homelab74656

Jul 22, 2015
Hi Homelab74656,

I actually made a single offer of $30 for pair, to which Esisoinc counter with even cheaper $28 for the pair. Obviously, I accepted his first counter offer:) ...Maybe Esisoinc is running low on stock now? ...Maybe Esisoinc gave me deal for buying from him before (Esisoinc has been great seller with me). ...Sorry, don't know what happened with your bid, but you might mention my $28 deal and not push lower.

Regrets,
Abq
Thanks for the help. I just made another counter offer for $28 and asked if the deal was for everyone, or just some users. I guess we will see!

canta

Nov 26, 2014
Thanks for the help. I just made another counter offer for $28 and asked if the deal was for everyone, or just some users. I guess we will see!
please post the result

I Had no luck, the seller firm on $34 and the my counter-offer got ignored hahaha :D.

update:
what a hack!! 3 counter-offer, seller firms on $34 hahaha. I am playing ping-pong ala ebay now!

Last edited:

JayG30

Feb 23, 2015
Same result, seller countered at $34 for a pair ($17/each).
Going to buy 2 pairs (4 total) just because. I mean, $17/each is pretty amazing even if some people got it a few bucks cheaper.

Last edited:
Reactions: Patrick

homelab74656

Jul 22, 2015
please post the result

I Had no luck, the seller firm on $34 and the my counter-offer got ignored hahaha :D.

update:
what a hack!! 3 counter-offer, seller firms on $34 hahaha. I am playing ping-pong ala ebay now!
Send another offer in, with a message that states, that they sold a pair to others for $28, is this a special deal only some people get?

That's what I did, no response though