10Gb SFP+ single port = cheaper than dirt

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

neo

Mar 18, 2015
I can't tell from that perspective, is that a full height or half height bracket?

neo

Mar 18, 2015
Yeah, my suspicions are correct - it is a low profile bracket. As it's written in the auction.

Unfortunately I can only use the full height, and matching full height brackets for these are seemingly impossible to find.

Chuckleb

Mar 5, 2013
Minnesota
Esiso sells them with both brackets for $32-34. That's what I usually buy. I may have some brackets from those available, but not sure.

BackupProphet

Jul 2, 2014
Stavanger, Norway
olavgg.com
Just played around with these. I highly recommend a more recent Linux kernel. For example Ubuntu 14.04 had some issues where it refused to load the driver after reboot. But when they work, they SCREAM. 10Gbps wasn't a problem. However CPU power was, I tested these on a old dual core AMD XP5600+ and a single CPU thread couldn't deliver nor receive full 10Gbps for data (tested with iperf).

Next up is FreeBSD, I wonder how they work there.

Reactions: dontwanna

RTM

Jan 26, 2014
Just played around with these. I highly recommend a more recent Linux kernel. For example Ubuntu 14.04 had some issues where it refused to load the driver after reboot.
There have been a few updates to the kernel of 14.04, if you install 14.04.3 LTS server you get a 3.19 kernel, how much time was it since you experienced trouble?

BackupProphet

Jul 2, 2014
Stavanger, Norway
olavgg.com
You're right, I tested with the latest one fully updated yesterday.
It could be related to something else. Its just that I had the same problem on another computer and it went away after I tried Ubuntu 15.04 server

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
Also vey easy to get working in Windows. I use one of these in my main desktop. $20 is great!

PnoT

Mar 1, 2015
Texas
Anyone know where the guide is to upgrading the firmware on these as I believe some people had severe speed issues?

Aluminum

Sep 7, 2012
Mellanox has pretty detailed guides on their site, what I used for all my connect-X flashing.

I wonder if these will work with the cheap $10 RJ45 SFPs (not SFP+ 10G RJ45 sadly, but understandable since none exist) if it does its almost worth throwing one in new builds that have shitty realtek nics.

I already put in $20 dual port intels just to have a real chipset/driver that doesn't fail under load. I really hate realtek and how OEMs use them even over the PCH controller!

$30 total would totally be worth getting a good chipset that does 1G now and be ready for 10G later.

Rain

May 13, 2013
I wonder if these will work with the cheap $10 RJ45 SFPs (not SFP+ 10G RJ45 sadly, but understandable since none exist) if it does its almost worth throwing one in new builds that have shitty realtek nics.
I really doubt those would work in Mellanox cards. You're much better off just getting cheap Intel 1GbE cards; keep doing that (or take the money you'd spend on an add-in NIC and buy a slightly better motherboard to begin with).

Anyone running one of these on a Windows 10 machine? Do the drivers play nice?

Edit: Also, in my dreams, 10GbE BASE-T cards are this price. :(

Last edited:

neo

Mar 18, 2015
Next up is FreeBSD, I wonder how they work there.
I tried using Mellanox cards in FreeBSD based systems such as pfSense and FreeNAS. Never got it to work, and found it easier to just go with the tested and tried Chelsio cards.

Spartus

Mar 28, 2012
Toronto, Canada
I tried using Mellanox cards in FreeBSD based systems such as pfSense and FreeNAS. Never got it to work, and found it easier to just go with the tested and tried Chelsio cards.
Uh, I've been using these in my freebsd server since last year, with no problems. They are only supported in v10+. pfsense is using freebsd10, freenas is not, but will be soon.

I was actually too cheap to buy a switch so my freebsd NAS is also my 10gbe switch. The cards are so cheap, why not.

Reactions: Jeggs101

abstractalgebra

Dec 3, 2013
MA, USA
Uh, I've been using these in my freebsd server since last year, with no problems. They are only supported in v10+. pfsense is using freebsd10, freenas is not, but will be soon.

I was actually too cheap to buy a switch so my freebsd NAS is also my 10gbe switch. The cards are so cheap, why not.
Oh interesting how do you have your switch setup and routed? I've heard of some doing a three system ring with dual port cards to avoid buying a switch. Three System Infiniband ring with dual ports cards discussion

Last edited: