10gb performance issues

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

TeleFragger

Oct 26, 2016
Ok so I just got a procurve switch in and now I have 6x cx4 ports. If you followed my other long post on how to get these old hp nic setup in eth mode and working together..

so dilemma..
I have a win10 box and a server 2016...
copying files between SSD and SSD, I am getting 700MB/s+ which seems good.

I copy a 1.5gb file in seconds.. shweet!!!!!
3gb file goes as well...
BUT... a 7.5 iso starts flying until it hits 1.6gb left and slams into a wall... any help on what to look for?

so this is happened on the switch to which I did nothing but plug it in as I got it off ebay and was factory reset.

to then I also just went pier to pier to test and getting the same issue.... well has to be a setting?

how can I type a command in windows to get the config? I verified both systems settings in network configure were the same.

I threw together a quick video..
Jeffrey Riggs has shared 1 video with you!

ttabbal

Mar 10, 2016
Not much to go on, but my guess is that your SSDs can't keep up with the sustained writes. Their cache or faster flash fills up and then they hit a wall.

If you're testing network issues, you need to test just the network. Something like iperf, not file copies. There are possible issues in the SMB implementation, disk drivers, etc.. With a 10G network, you should be able to get >900Mbps on iperf. Usually >980Mbps. After that, everything is only as fast as the slowest part. Perhaps try a test with RAM drives after that..

Reactions: TeleFragger

TeleFragger

Oct 26, 2016
Not much to go on, but my guess is that your SSDs can't keep up with the sustained writes. Their cache or faster flash fills up and then they hit a wall.

If you're testing network issues, you need to test just the network. Something like iperf, not file copies. There are possible issues in the SMB implementation, disk drivers, etc.. With a 10G network, you should be able to get >900Mbps on iperf. Usually >980Mbps. After that, everything is only as fast as the slowest part. Perhaps try a test with RAM drives after that..
yeah I can do ramdrive... ill give that a whirl. haven't used iperf but have used crystaldisk ...

I know not much to go on.... appreciate the overall thoughts!!!!

TeleFragger

Oct 26, 2016
here is my crystal disk mark

upload_2019-1-18_16-41-11.png

definitely faster... 10x no... fast enough.... happy enough..

im $55 in on my 10gb setup!!!!

Last edited: