10gb direct connection of 3 servers and two DS4243s

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

richard.dzavoronok

Jun 23, 2021
I have little to no knowledge of hw networking (I understand, what is switch, read few articles on networking with DAC cables, FC cables etc).
I did prepare little diagram of what I come with.

Notes:
- Server 3 serves as staging storage
- Low power PC already has one integrated 1Gbs port
- servers are DL380p Gen8
- low power PC is some 4 core 25W TDP AMD
- every DS4243 nas IOM3 with 3Gbps interface
- data generation is very IO heavy on hdds that's why I need to quickly move them to staging storage (S3)

Workflow of this system (Server 1- S1, Server 2 - S2...):
1 - data (large files ~100 GB) are generated on S1, S2 (maybe S3 if there is enough headroom)
2 - I need to quickly (as fast as possible) store generated files (one/two at the time) from S1 and S2 to S3 (S3 has RAID 0) to leave all processing power for generating data
3 - transfer files from S3 to Low power PC to which are connected two drives on DS4243s by SFP+ to QSFP DAC cable

Will this configuration work? If so, is it very difficult to setup?
This solution without 10gbe switch will cost me ~120 euros so could be pretty cheap
I also attached diagram source file if necessary (.drawio file to use in www diagrameditor com )

Diagram:

Solution.png

Thanks a lot

Attachments

richard.dzavoronok

Jun 23, 2021
I did find out that NIC has to specifically support breakout cable to use 4x separate 10g lanes. XL710 NICs (and possibly X520) should be capable of what I wanted. But yeah (you can roll your eyes now) I'll be saving for the switch.

LodeRunner

Apr 27, 2019
As an aside, Chia farming? Because that runs on 100 GB plots. No judgement, just curious.

richard.dzavoronok

Jun 23, 2021
As an aside, Chia farming? Because that runs on 100 GB plots. No judgement, just curious.
Yes :) 108 GB plots actually. First phase is plotting and it's quite resource intensive. Then, low power pc will be farming. I wanted to make plotting as much effective as possible with 10gbe, but for now I'll use just 1gbe, as I already spent almost all my planned budget.