10G Networking Humor

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Markess

May 19, 2018
Northern California
I'm planning my next "You just can't leave well enough alone, can you?" rework of the homelab/tech cave... plus a new PC/Workstation build for myself, and I didn't want to wait on the home 1G network for all the extra backing-up and restoring I'd need to do. Plus it would risk familial wrath if it slowed the wife and kids streaming/games :eek:

So, I pulled out the 10G stuff I wasn't using, thinking I'd set up some (probably temporary) no frills peer-to-peer connections. I had enough cards (various Solarflare 7 & 8 series), but needed one more full height bracket than I had on hand.

So, off to Ebay to find a PCIe bracket......

Turns out that if I didn't want to wait for one from China, a bracket by itself was going to cost $10 more than just getting a whole extra card. Even waiting for a bracket from China would only save me $3 over getting a complete card that would arrive in just a few days. o_O

You know stuff is getting long in the tooth when getting a whole extra one costs less than a "repair part"!

Reactions: itronin

tinfoil3d

QSFP28
May 11, 2020
Japan
Man i got an LTE m.2 card shipped out of china early october. It never made its way here, i got refunded yesterday. When december came i got fed up and bought another one from another seller which was slow but still arrived in december. So iwas finally able to test and deploy LTE for my m75n tiny.
Chinese sellers have great offers but the overall shipping speeds were always quite crazy unless you instruct them and pa them to ship with something more reliable. Also kills me how can a single component or option like a rackmount ears cost over half the price of unit.

Reactions: Markess