10 Intel NUC's + 5 Nvidia Jetson TK1's Mini PC 1u Single Board Computer Array

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

bob_dvb

Sep 7, 2018
Not quite London
www.orbit.me.uk
Actually, encoding is my job, for a large streaming company. It depends on quality for what you might use at scale if you are using your own hardware.

We have several HP Moonshot machines, those beasts, using 60 Xeons with Intel QSV, can really munch through video and the quality is good enough. But a Moonshot isn't cheap.

Alternatively there are some very interesting hardware accelerators coming to market which will give you excellent encoding. I have seen 70+ encodes in 1U!

Companies like Arris and Netint are doing very interesting things at high density.

But for high quality we still tend to use pretty chunky cloud instances.

These trays are fun and cheap, yup. Actually I have a half finished SBC cluster in my home workshop, but its a hobby piece, not something I would see in production.

Reactions: Cixelyn and Fritz

BoredSysadmin

Not affiliated with Maxell
Mar 2, 2019
Also for those above still interested in System Architecture, i was curious and dug into it a bit further -- 2-1 ratio of NUCs to TK1s makes sense to me now. NVENC only allows for 2 concurrent sessions on consumer hardware (see: Video Encode and Decode GPU Support Matrix) without resorting to driver / firmware patches.
As yet another arm-chair encoding (so-called) expert and self-proclaimed google-fu black belt, I would like to chime in as to the reasons of this interesting NUC vs TK1 ratio and it's not exactly same the issue above, but more of limitations of the platform:
GStreamer xvimage - JetsonHacks
Confirmed here:
Jetson TX1 for encoding/transcoding
Also, here is GStreamer user guide:
https://developer.download.nvidia.c...SZ7wneVVBDSqQkdsT7y3eGb6SdSZ2tAa8yl4zIrEoYPBk

Last edited:

microdou

Apr 15, 2020
I'm not sure the use case, haha. I got accepted for an offer of barely half price, so I think it'll be fun for experimenting with k8s or something like that. Hopefully I can get them all to boot from ethernet or cheap USB drives.

Reddit thread says the whole thing idles at 80W and is pretty quiet, so that's not bad.
Could you share a link to the reddit post? Very interested in this array.

c2management

Apr 27, 2020
I am the seller and just re-posted these. $300 buy it now free shipping. We were losing and this is for a client. Shipping materials alone are over $10 and they are large boxes which makes for oversize shipping which we did not originally account for. Also, some were selling overseas w free shipping so we had no choice but to fix. I think this is still a great deal for those that want to try them out and we will get them out quick!

Saw it on reddit, looks like a pretty interesting setup. Seller has hundreds of them apparently.

10 x Intel Nuc N3700 Quad Core Pentium 1.6Ghz (Ram & HDD removed)

5 x Nvidia Jetson TK1 graphics units
1 x Netgear Prosafe 16 Port Gigabit Switch GS116
1 x Mean Well LRS-350-12 12V Power Supply
2 x Mini Fuse Blocks
All wired together with Cat 6 to Switch with one RJ45 plug on front of tray to plug it all in.

10 Intel NUC's + 5 Nvidia Jetson TK1's Mini PC 1u Single Board Computer Array | eBay

Reactions: bob_dvb