10 and 40 Gb networking on the cheap ($5 - $10)

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

psc

Jun 30, 2019
why not get Mellanox CX3+ and a DAC? Cheaper and faster.
I'll second this - especially now the HP prices have gone up a bit. I've tried and failed to get the 40Gb cards working with an early revision, and ended up getting a 40Gb CX3 card instead (well, 2 of them - one Fujitsu branded). I'm not sure it's cheaper, but the difference isn't that big vs card+PCB+connector if you can bide your time, and it's a lot less risk and faff vs channel bonding 2 10Gb ports on a DIY adapter and mounting plate. If I'd got a toaster reflow oven to hand, and I had more enthusiasm for working out kinks than money to avoid them, then it might be different, but...

If anyone wants a couple of 40Gb HP cards drop me a message!

RageBone

Jul 11, 2017
actually, i would go for flexlom CX3+
554+flr is their hp name.
they were about 7$ a few month ago.
+ 10$ pcb and 25$ DAC

Peter Blanchard

Jun 30, 2022
why not get Mellanox CX3+ and a DAC? Cheaper and faster.
I'm in the UK and pricing is different from the US. Almost always more expensive but very variable. ConnectX-3 about £80 if you can find one whereas 561FLR-T, I've seen for as little at £12. Shipping costs from the US are prohibitive.

RageBone

Jul 11, 2017
I'm in the UK and pricing is different from the US. Almost always more expensive but very variable. ConnectX-3 about £80 if you can find one whereas 561FLR-T, I've seen for as little at £12. Shipping costs from the US are prohibitive.
I still have some from the 7$ era imported from the US to germany.
could spare two.
Or send you my old plain CX3 non +

sdiaconu

Aug 19, 2022
Hello,
Small question. I have a 561FLR-T rev. 0C. Can this card work in a PC without adapter ? I have a TrueNas that doesn't find the card ...
If no where can I buy one ?

Thanks in advance.

hmartin

Sep 20, 2017
Can this card work in a PC without adapter ?
All FlexLOM cards require an adapter to be used in a PC. Yes, it may look like it fits, but the pin layout is different between a FlexLOM slot and a PCIe slot. Do not attempt to plug the card directly, you will damage your motherboard.

There are a number of eBay sellers who carry the adapter:
I have no experience with these vendors or adapter designs, YMMV.

tathers

Aug 24, 2022
Printed a couple of those out and the bumps are just like 3 or 4 mm from being in the right spot, those adapters from the chinese forum are bit taller it seems
Didn't see anyone in the thread make one for the other pcie bracket, so I hastily made one in f360 based on the one in the github. Anyone got recommendations as to where I should upload the stl?

EDIT:
Lost the source file but here's the thingiverse link: PCIE Bracket for Tobias Schramm's FlexLOM adapter card by Tathers
ApplicationFrameHost_LjEr8WkRs7.png

Last edited:

psc

Jun 30, 2019
Didn't see anyone in the thread make one for the other pcie bracket, so I hastily made one in f360 based on the one in the github. Anyone got recommendations as to where I should upload the stl?View attachment 30700
I tend to look on Thingiverse for stuff like that. Ideally, upload the source file as well as the exported STL.

Reactions: tathers

Vit K

Feb 23, 2017
Don't want to hijack the thread, but they selling this simple adapter on aliexpress now along with card for 30-40 usd.

Sc13a36c063314c21a6eff48600735c9am.jpgS56b3180e34c642fe9d4efa515b5b979az.jpg

Paladin

Sep 26, 2016
Hi! First of all thanks for the wonderfull work. I have around 80 544flr and have found this topic. :) can I buy the adapter somewhere in the eu? If not, where do you recommend me to buy the parts? Thanks!