1.92TB Toshiba SATA SSD 1DWPD Under 400

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

zeynel

Dream Large, Live Larger
Nov 4, 2015
hmm ?

your link says $1250

and the amazon link to the ST2000DM006 didn't work.

zeynel

Dream Large, Live Larger
Nov 4, 2015
yes the have 15 in stock , ends in 12h and sold only 1 so far , good chance that they drop the price more :)

if it goes to $350 i am in with 3-4 pcs. ^^

omgwtfbyobbq

Sep 9, 2017
If you keep an eye out, sometimes you can find the HK4E, which I believe is an over-provisioned 1.6TB version of this drive, for $300-$350.
I picked up one for my wife because her 480GB SanDisk Ultra II had trouble handling all the custom content in her sims games.

FRPII

Dec 2, 2015
FWIW seller would only come down to $375/drive @ Qty 10. I'm guessing he'll stay firm for a while.

Joel

Jan 30, 2015
Just bought one to use my ebay bucks. I thought I had ~$80 in bucks but when I checked it was $270!!! Not complaining at all. This drive will make a great external for my 4k editing & music production laptop. :)

Reactions: FRPII

Joel

Jan 30, 2015
Strange... Just got it in the mail, I was expecting "low" power on hours from the auction description, but I wasn't expecting 0. It also shows:
"Total LBAs written" 477
"Total LBAs read" 323

Is it possible the SMART data was wiped?

Evan

Jan 6, 2016
Strange... Just got it in the mail, I was expecting "low" power on hours from the auction description, but I wasn't expecting 0. It also shows:
"Total LBAs written" 477
"Total LBAs read" 323

Is it possible the SMART data was wiped?
Possible but could also be new old stock... eg spares never used

Reactions: Joel

frogtech

Jan 4, 2016
Yet again I'm left wondering what is the difference between pseudo PLP and "real" PLP?

Jeff Robertson

Oct 18, 2016
Chico, CA
Yet again I'm left wondering what is the difference between pseudo PLP and "real" PLP?
I've been trying to figure that out myself recently. Here is what I've found so far. There appears to be two general types (probably an over simplification), one is end-to-end. If the computer sends data to the drive it can be considered safe. The data is protected through the ENTIRE write process. If the power fails at any point all data is flushed from any buffers to the nand and no corruption occurs. I would call this "real" PLP and it's a requirement for certain types of deployments.

The second type (PLP lite?) only protects data at rest. The SSD is constantly moving data around which puts already written data at risk (look up how an SSD writes in large pages, causes all sorts of weird issues). With PLP lite any data already written to the nand is preserved properly during a power failure. Any data in any buffers (DRAM usually) is lost.

This has really started to irk me, there have been numerous companies that have claimed PLP while only actually offering PLP lite. I think Crucial had to change their marketing a few years back because they claimed a consumer drive had full PLP when it had just enough capacitance to keep the data at rest from corrupting.

Hope that didn't confuse things further!

Last edited:
Reactions: frogtech

BackupProphet

Jul 2, 2014
Stavanger, Norway
olavgg.com
That doesn't sound right, it is quite normal to write to DRAM. The difference is when you want to sync the buffer to disk/nand. There are specific ATA commands for flushing the DRAM buffer to disk.

Most drives do not lie about this today, even consumer drives. Some of the first SSD's did ignore this though and that could cause data corruption. For example I have two older Intel 330 that lies about flushing.

My point is. Either you honor the flush command or you ignore it, there is nothing in the middle.