Search results

1. Z

Intel Xeon E-2400 series Raptor Lake-E for LGA 1700

According to WCCFTech and CPU-World, which sourced this from a leaker in Twitter, Intel will revive the Xeon E line with several Raptor Lake-E SKUs which will only have P-Cores enabled, up to 8. I would assume that all models should use the Raptor Lake B0 8P + 16E die, which would make them...
  2. Z

Supermicro adopting Coreboot on some Sapphire Rapids / Ice Lake-X Motherboards

During 2022 OCP (Open Compute Project) Global Summit, Supermicro demoed with a few short videos (1, 2, 3) some Motherboards using different forms of Open Source Firmware including Coreboot, something that is very important to me as I spend quite a bit of time trying to get people interesed in...
  3. Z

The new Intel i226-V / i226-LM / i226-IT NICs

I just saw this Thread on Reddit and reminded me of looking around for potential alternatives to the infamous i225 series Intel NICs, albeit for the most part they're unavoidable. Checking the Intel Ark I suddently found that Intel supposedly released a new i226 series in Q2 2022 that seems to...
  4. Z

Needing pointers on current decent enterprise SATA/SAS SSDs

I'm going to be as brief as possible. 3 years ago I planned to overhaul my data storage backend replacing all my drives with enterprise SSDs, as the computers in my house were (And still are) using quite old HDs, and I had not enough spare capacity to do full backups. Since SSDs have a...
  5. Z

Zen 2 based EPYC Embedded speculation

According to very old Roadmaps, the successor to EPYC Embedded 3000 series based on first generation Zen, was slated for Q2 2020, and we're getting close to that quarter, yet we have no recent info. I have a bit of an issue with the Zen 2 EPYC Embedded codename, since those Roadmaps named it...
  6. Z

A Hardware enthusiast view on the usefulness of open source Firmwares like Coreboot

A Hardware enthusiast view on the usefulness of open source Firmwares like Coreboot I took my time to write the linked Wall of Text® with the purpose of educating/influencing Hardware enthusiasts communities about the need to push for open source Firmwares, and perhaps with even more luck...
  7. Z

Intel X710-AT2 and X710-TM4 Carlsville NICs

Casually looking around Intel ARK, I found these two NICs, which are not mentioned anywhere else, perhaps because they are still too new. The controllers I'm talking about are these: Intel product specifications Carlsville seems to be a newer version of 2014 Fortville, as they have around the...
  8. Z

Need help selecting SATA/SAS SSD, maybe SAS HBA Controller and cable

Story goes like this: In my house, there are a few very old 250-320 GB HDs still in service in my family computers. One is throwing SMART errors, the other died today with some data in it that had no backups. I will have to figure out if I can somehow revive it to copy the data elsewhere (The HD...
  9. Z

Supermicro X10SAT doing 6 short beeps

Last week I decided to clean my computer, which involved a full dissambly and assembly. In the meantime I got an used 4U rackmount case that I got for cheap that I intended to use to test the format since I don't like standard consumer Towers, but usually have to rely on them anyways since I...
  10. Z

What happened with LGA 2011-3 Motherboards for Haswell-E with DDR3?

As the title says, at some point, there were some LGA 2011-3 Motherboards for Haswell-E planned that had DDR3 Slots in them. Yet that news article is already 3 years and half old, and I think that I never hear about them again. Where the hell are those Motherboards? One has to guess that after 3...
  11. Z

SAS Controller as SATA replacement for PCI Passthrough

Most of my interest these days are almost exclusively in the Passthrough area, or for those that aren't in the know, the ability of a Hypervisor/VMM to pass a PCI Device to a VM and use it from there, with its native Drivers, capabilities and all. Some users wants to pass a SATA Controller to a...
  12. Z

Supermicro partially updates website with LGA 2066 Motherboards with C422 Chipset for Xeon-W

From a comment on the Xeon-W launch announcement article I got here, with the big difference that now the C422 Motherboards links somewhere. There are two base PCBs, one for the X11SRM and another for the X11SRA. Links for the Motherboard Manual are there but they are still unpublished, so we...
  13. Z

ThreadRipper/EPYC Motherboards, NUMA, and Block Diagrams

Supermicro recently published the Manual of their H11DSi-NT Motherboard. One of the reasons why I love Supermicro is because they put detailed Block Diagrams so you know what goes connected where (Sorta important if you're into virtualization with Passthrough using QEMU, due the way that IOMMU...
  14. Z

Anyone with experience building his own Rackmount Chassis?

I'l try to keep it initially short, but mostly because I'm lazy to write today (Don't panic, there will be a Wall of Text™ incoming later). I have several projects in mind, all which requires a lot of planning with the Case. I got interesed in replacing my cheap, bad quality plastic Tower with...
  15. Z

LGA 2011-3 Workstation with Xeon E5 1600v4, ECC RAM, and two GeForces 1080

A friend is currently in USA and he wants to build a new Workstation. Since the budget allows for it, I decided to recommend him to go for a true Workstation with a Xeon with ECC RAM. Additionally, he wants two GeForce 1080, which will be used for GPGPU purposes. The system will also be used as...
  16. Z

Regarding ECC RAM support on Intel consumer Chipsets (X99, Z87, Z97 and so on)

Background about my question goes like this: I'm helping a friend with a build which has the budget and use case to go for a true Workstation. My idea was to recommend him an Intel Xeon E5-1620v4, a Supermicro X10SRA (I also was a bit interesed in the Supermicro X10SRA-F due to the integrated...