Search results

1. ViciousXUSMC

QNAP Switches? QSW-3216R-8S8T

I am exploring options to add multi-gig to my setup at home. Kinda needing a mix of SFP and RJ45 to accomodate various devices. My access points will use RJ45, my desktop uses RJ45 but my other servers use LC Fiber. Most switches have a few of each making me have to perhaps convert a device to...
  2. ViciousXUSMC

Best WAP right now that is not super over priced with modern tech (Wifi 6e or 7)

My never ending network journey. The one part I keep upgradding the most is my wireless access points. Of everything I have had so far, my favorite/best has been the Ruckus R510 and Ruckus R710. They had amazing signal quality, performance, management, etc. I recently sold both my R710 ($45...
  3. ViciousXUSMC

(Solved) WTB Dell R510 Extended Ear (left power button)

My server came with a R720XD EE and it wont power on. Based on this: Looks like I need to find an actual R510 EE to get this working. I cant find one on ebay or something and hate to buy another entire server just for this part. So hope one of you has one hiding in the good ol' junk pile :)...
  4. ViciousXUSMC

APC SUA2200RM2U Ultra Short Battery Life

So I finally upgraded from a stand alone UPS to a nice rack mount one. I got a SUA2200RM2U off ebay without batteries. I had to put a lot of work into it, ordered the batteries, repaired the power cable, I also got the AP9631 Network Management Card. Today it all comes together and its...
  5. ViciousXUSMC

New NAS Need HDD Hardware Advice

I am running out of space on my R710, I have had a R510 with the 12 3x5" bays on standby for a while to build into a new NAS. I'll probably go bare metal Freenas and a 10x Disk Raid Z2 setup. For those disks. Would you think 10x 14TB WD Reds would be best when they are on sale for $~200 each...
  6. ViciousXUSMC

FS: Ruckus R600 Wireless Access Points $80 Each

I have two Ruckus R600 AP's for sale. Cost is $80 each + Shipping They are currently sitting on the most recent Unleashed firmware. They are in like new condition without any marks or scuffs. Both will include all accessories. * The AP * AC DC Adapter * T Bar Mount I plan to ship them...
  7. ViciousXUSMC

Unifi Switch Disabled It's Own Port?

Last night I was doing a lot of testing of my 2 Unifi AP's in anticipation of replacing them with some Ruckus AP's I wanted to know the before/after for speed, signal strength, latency, etc. Part of that testing was turning off all the AP radios except one so that I was only testing one...
  8. ViciousXUSMC

Just a big "I Love You Guys"

As an active IT guy both professionally and personally, I have been around the net and a member of many different forums. I even have been a moderator (Wide Screen Gaming Forum) and reviewer (NotebookReview.com) I have to say, of all the communities I have been a part of both as just a...
  9. ViciousXUSMC

New Desktop Build i9 9900K or AMD 2700x?

So my desktop is starting to show it's age. I do video encoding as a side job time to time, and do gaming from time to time, so I am sort of stuck in the middle of single threaded performance and multi threaded madness. I could easily side one way or the other. Upfront I know the 2700x has the...
  10. ViciousXUSMC

WTB: Dell R510/R710 3.5" Drive Caddys (12)

I got a great deal on a bare bones R510, it did not include any drive cages. So looking to buy 12 of them. Shipped to 33510, will drive to pick up if < 50 Miles. Thank You,
  11. ViciousXUSMC

FS: Ubiquiti UniFi US-24 Managed Gigabit 24-Port Switch

**SOLD** I just upgraded to 10gb and no longer really have a need for this switch. It is in absolutely perfect "like new" condition as it was just racked in my home for light home use. So no scratches, non-smoking home, has rack ears, etc. I am asking $150 + Shipping for it. Preferred payment...
  12. ViciousXUSMC

Layer 3 Switch w/ PFSense

Playing with that Aruba S2500 figured I would try to create some VLANs so that I can create a VLAN with MTU 9000 on my 10gb network and a MTU 1500 on my standard 1gb network and let the fast switch handle the inter-vlan routing and the packet segmentation. It too me a bit to get that working...
  13. ViciousXUSMC

FS: 3x Mellanox ConnectX-2 VPI

**Sold** I ordered the wrong thing on Ebay accidentally and hope to find these a home. 3x Mellanox ConnectX-2 VPI with a single QSFP connection. (MHRH19B-XTR) I flashed them to the newest firmware and all of them are working fine. All I am looking to do here is get shipping paid so I am not...
  14. ViciousXUSMC

Mellanox ConnectX-2 QSFP to SFP+ ?

I think I screwed up, looking for some guidance. Upgrading part of my home network to 10gb. I was hunting down Mellanox ConnectX-2 on ebay. I got the right card the first time with 2x SFP+ Ports, but it had the wrong bracket size. The listing said "includes low profile bracket" and I for some...
  15. ViciousXUSMC

Dell PowerVault MD1200

Still looking for a good SAS connected JBOD setup. Eyeing a MD1200 on Ebay right now. As I researched the unit one thing that has me worried is they say it will not support any drives that are not "dell certified" or with "dell firmware" I often think this might have more to do with it being...
  16. ViciousXUSMC

HPE P2000 G3 worth running at home?

I might have a chance to get a P2000 soon. I would not mind expanding my storage/NAS setup at home. I am always very mindful of power draw and noise. So the current setup is a Dell R710 loaded with 6x8TB drives and its dead silent and uses about 140w of power. I do not mind standing up another...
  17. ViciousXUSMC

Preferred Enterprise Backup Software Solution?

I'd like to see what some of you guys and girls are using for your enterprise backup software, and if you would also like to add what kind of hardware you use that is great too. Currently I use a HP B6200 and some HP 3PAR's as the hardware and formerly HP now Microfocus Data Protector as the...
  18. ViciousXUSMC

Plex Media Server - Getting out of Jail

Pun Intended :) I not too long ago moved my Freenas from bare metal to virtualized under ESXi. That went smooth and I am very glad I made the change. I now have more running on my server and better utilize my resources. I still have 3 things running under Freenas instead of ESXi as FreeBSD...
  19. ViciousXUSMC

Any Home Depot Approved DIY Server Shelves?

Just curious, with my down to the penny server rack build, if anybody has managed to fabricate a solid 4 post shelf using nothing but common parts from your local hardware store that more or less create a bolt together solution. I cant see the need to pay $50+ for something so basic. I get it...
  20. ViciousXUSMC

One Rack to Rule Them All or Multi-Rack?

I am slowly trying to get my computer room/desk area together into a rack configuration. Desktop on the floor, R710 on my desk, PFsense on a table, switch ontop of that, etc, etc. I love the idea of having a proper rack for connectivity, organization, and professionalism. Thing is this. The...