Search results

1. ViciousXUSMC

Brocade ICX Series (cheap & powerful 10gbE/40gbE switching)

Ok going to give these a try. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B097MKLWCY/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1 I also maybe would/could/should test the RJ45 SFP's a bit more as like I said my desktop has been on one for weeks no issues, but the AP overhreated. Could be a...
  2. ViciousXUSMC

For some reason I thought this was a solution to make the switch quiet and keep the SFP's really cool, because when I tested the RJ45 SFP the other day they worked fine, even at multi gig speeds and my desktop has been hooked to one for weeks no issues, but soon as I added my access point using...
  3. ViciousXUSMC

So the fans are here going to try the same mod, it seems all 4 fans come with... no connectors. Id rather notcut and solder the old ones to the new fans and ruin them, so what connectors do I need? I am pretty sure its JST, but there are so many different ones, does anyone know exactly the...
  4. ViciousXUSMC

Fans on order. Got my WBE660S up today using 10gb RJ45 to the SFP's and had some network issues after a while, I think it was the SFP getting too hot it was like burn you hand hot to the touch. I may have to just get a native RJ45 multi-gig switch for my new setup needs afterall if that heat...
  5. ViciousXUSMC

Got my ICX 7250-48P delivered today. Boy did I have fun! I didn't think to notice that despite having 6450's that the 7250 would have a different format for the console port. So I had to look up what to do about that and found some many years old posts and scrouge my house to come up with...
  6. ViciousXUSMC

Minisforum MS-01 PCIe Card and RAM Compatibility Thread

I really wonder if that is even needed with such a strong cpu? I mean I am only running my own personal VPN but I am doing it off much lesser hardware and dont even use 5% of my CPU for a 1gb WAN, this CPU is 5x stronger than what I have now. So I guess if your doing SMB VPN with lots of users...
  7. ViciousXUSMC

Mine is sleighted for PFSense when it gets here, I am not sure how similar they are. If anything I imagine OpenSense would have more drivers and better compatibility as they dont sell in house hardware. So for sure I'll say if it works for PFSense. Just gotta play the waiting game.
  8. ViciousXUSMC

Minisforum MS-01 Review The 10GbE with PCIe Slot Mini PC

Would look relaly nice next to my QSW-3216R-8S8T. I am just not sure about the ventilation of this, I see it has top holes but also front/back. If this was on a rack as a 1u unit with something above it,it might block ventilation?
  9. ViciousXUSMC

GBASE-T transceivers performance with NBASE-T - Marvell 88x3300 v/s Aquantia AQS-107

Good Read, I am looking to add multi gig to my Brocade switch. I ordered several different SFPs to try, not all of them can I confirm what chipset they use. I am trying to find the best way to test to verify performance issues.
  10. ViciousXUSMC

Ok let me test later, it was actually iPerf that I had used for my speed test. To me two devices on my AP doing a transfer would be bi-directional, but never have I used that flag and it might be a good thing to add to my future testing. Edit: seems that bidir is not in the version I have on...
  11. ViciousXUSMC

Ruckus Wireless as an Unifi alternative?

I feel you on that and agree, thought I just did buy some Wifi 7 AP's lol. But, I did sent the company a request to produce information on certification and also checked the features offered against what the certification required and think I saw a match. But I had this disaster with the...
  12. ViciousXUSMC

What do you mean bi-directonal? The test from earlier was bi-directional had my phone and tablet hooked to the AP and did a speed test between them.
  13. ViciousXUSMC

I took the dive, I just literally ordered everything to build a new firewall for PFSense Dell R210ii 10gb PCI Nic Saw this looking all tiny and cute with build in 10gb SFP+ and the fact it probably uses less power while having 6x more processing power than my Xeon E3 1230 v2 and decided to get...
  14. ViciousXUSMC

QNAP Switches? QSW-3216R-8S8T

Just to update, as I am apparently spamming the network section right now. I am probably going to change up the plan. I just tested with my R730 that has a 5gb RJ45 ethernet connection and a mutli-gig RJ45 SFP to my Brocade ICX 6450 and it seems to work great. So rather than adding a 2nd...
  15. ViciousXUSMC

I also have a 2nd question too lol. I am about to go ahead and buy a ICX 7250-48 to expand my 10gb capabilities I have the ICX 6610 but its a bit too much for 24/7 use I want to keep noise and power down as much as possible. So I am using the ICX 6450 and its good and all, I was about to add a...
  16. ViciousXUSMC

In the name of science I bought like 5 different SFP's the first one got here today. This was one of the cheaper ones: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0BZYV28PS?ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details&th=1 Really nicely boxed in a metal tin, overnight shipping I used my Ruckus R730 (Flashed to R850) as...
  17. ViciousXUSMC

QNAP Switches? QSW-3216R-8S8T

Definitly did look at Mikrotik, this is the model that I had on my short list. CRS312-4C+8XG-RM The reason QNAP kinda got first place was the fact it was quieter, found some fan noise complaints about Mikrotik, that it was a bit cheaper, and that it was front to back cooling like the rest of...
  18. ViciousXUSMC

Just grabbed the last one I saw on Amazon for testing, since I already ordered a multi gig switch I dont need this to work, but if it works I can just use the Brocade by itself but would need to upgrade to the 7250 for the extra 10gb ports. Still cheaper than adding a 2nd switch though-ish...
  19. ViciousXUSMC

I am running 10gb copper now, and back then when we were talking about these regularly that was the first 10gb copper, multi gig was not really a thing yet. I'll personally test it soon and let everyone know. I have a RJ45 SPF that I know works with Brocade as my desktop is using it now on...
  20. ViciousXUSMC

Thats why I am asking, I cant get a clear answer anywhere. I figured it depends on the switch and the SFP, but other corners of the internet say its only the SFP that determins if it will work or not. Not sure if what I have is Aquantia based but so far every SFP I have tried has worked on my...