Search results

1. R

HP P812

I know. That's what I did. ;-)
  2. R

HP P812

I've moved on to a full Dell setup, because those DL180s were way too loud for my homelab. I can sit next to the R710 and R510, that replaced them, all day long. ;-) The P812 cards behaved very well, even when I put them into the Dell machines for faster migration of the data. No BIOS access in...
  3. R

Cheapest SAS/SATA disk enclosure

Don't put words in my mouth. Makes you look petty. I never said or implied that MD1000s are the non-plus-ultra solution for everyones storage demands. I just provided reasoning as to why they are, for now and probably the next few years, the best solution for my storage demands. I've had...
  4. R

So you did test all of those, from all different manufacturers? Or did you just pull that "typical" from somewhere without frequent exposure to sunlight? Yeah, I'd wager that the latter is the case. You clearly have never even seen or used an Icybox 4-in-3 or 5-in3 unit in action. There are...
  5. R

Well, you were the one proposing Coolermaster drive cages, now suddenly it's Silverstone. Again without backplane, so not at all suitable for a reliable build (seriously, no backplane is a no-go). Icydocks IB/MB don't have crap ventilation, by the way. Just crappy stock fans, easily...
  6. R

Interposers are NOT required. Trays, yes. MD1000 withouth trays run about 100€. Trays runs about 80€, and you can get lucky like me and score a MD1000 with trays for 150€. ;-) And BTW, all of those prices are also already including the EMMs and PSUs! And no, it's not very uncommon, even in the...
  7. R

Huh, what would the Antec + 2 or 3 Coolermaster units cost? Hint: it's way more than a single MD1000 (150€) and would only provide room for 6-9 disks. Plus I can't mix SAS and SATA disks in there (just recently ran into cheap 2TB SAS disks). My first backup stage is an old Zalman HS1000 with 3x3...
  8. R

Card recommendation needed

No, you can pretty much always (exceptions may exist) use single-drive-RAID0 for that.
  9. R

Parts needed for 24-drive setup?

Thus performance isn't an issue and practically any expander would suffice (including the notorious HP 6G 24P SAS expander card, which AFAIK is the cheapest option.).
  10. R

Setting up a Dell r710 to work with a PERC H200 JBOD

I've bought several "new"/used/refurbished Perc6 batteries last year and all of them work just fine. LiIon batteries can survive quite long shelf times, if stored properly (xx % charged, constant temps).
  11. R

Dell MD1000 with non Dell hard drive, is it work?

I know it's an old thread, but it pops up on Google searches for MD1000... Pulling one of the I/O-modules will allow SATA disks without interposer boards in unified mode. Of course doing that will disable SAS link redundancy, but homelabbers usually don't need that anyways.
  12. R

Setting up a Dell r710 to work with a PERC H200 JBOD

And be prepared for abysmally slow write speeds. AFAIK all Dell HBAs without cache/bbu suffer from that, at last on Windows. I can confirm that for H200 and H310 on Windows 10/Server 2012R2/Server 2016.
  13. R

Building my own drive chassis

Usually it hasn't, max. capacity depends on the HBA / RAID-controller.
  14. R

Do I need a Synology expansion unit to expand a Synology via eSata?

It may very well be of interest for some people if it's possible to use a Synology expansion unit as JBOD attached to a standard controller. But I imagine that the other way around would be even more interesting for most people, since there's an abundance of cheap SAS enclosures.
  15. R

Do I need a Synology expansion unit to expand a Synology via eSata?

It's not eSata, but Infiniband. So, no a normal eSata enclosure is not an option. SAS JBOD enclosures could work, unless DSM refuses to uses anything not-Synology. Would be good to know, so if you go that route, please share your experience.
  16. R

I know it's an old thread, but MD1000s are still around, and many homelabbers take advantage of the low prices. The main reason you don't want those interposers is the price, the second reason is that they simply aren't neccessary, if you don't need link redundancy to the host (which is the...
  17. R

Quanta LB4M First Time Use. Problem Microsoft

You might have a chance: Have I bricked my Quanta LB4M?
  18. R

After some suggestions for Chassis/Expander upgrade

Yeah, maybe some details, but not the essential information for reliable operation. Health monitoring works with every single HBA I threw at my expanders, management software sees all the same details it sees on SAS drives. Even pretty old expanders like the HP 24 bay card don't do that...
  19. R

After some suggestions for Chassis/Expander upgrade

I'd like to read more about that, too. I have yet to encounter any issues with my expanders (HP), and I did run some stress tests which included multiple rebuilds of RAID5 arrays. Also, many SAS/SATA backplanes are expanding backplanes, and they do run perfectly fine with SATA drives.
  20. R

HP P812

Just a quick update: 5.14 has proven to be rock solid and fast in extensive load tests, thus I didn't see any reason not to try the downgrade of my second P812 from 6.64(b). Went the official route via firmware update DVD 10.0 in a DL180 G6, and was very pleased to see that HP didn't put any...