Search results

1. N

Beware of EMC switches sold as Mellanox SX6XXX on eBay

Still waiting on advice from someone with first hand experience flashing u-boot to a newer version. I have already ported Debian Bullseye, Linux kernel version 6, and Mellanox OFED all recompiled for ppc32be, I have a fully operational developer build environment that I can chroot into. The...
  2. N

I thought I remembered someone had the u-boot source code with the patch additions for Mellanox AMCC M460EX already included? Also please tell me, what are the functional differences if any between the sam460EX M460EX, 440EPx, and e500mc with respect to the u-boot loader. I believe the sam460EX...
  3. N

So I totally deviated from the stock guide, I didn't run any of those firmware mod scripts and I just left the stock EMC u-boot as is. I found that the manufacturing image is more or less total garbage for getting the system ready for the backplate flash. What works best for me is to flash...
  4. N

I'm interested to know more about all this, especially the Mini COM Express SBC details, I was thinking about using OpenWrt as a starting point simply because they still actively target the PPC ISA, but if we can just attach a different SBC onto the Mini COM Express port on the SwitchX-2 ASIC...
  5. N

As a retired principal computer systems engineer, the crap Nvidia tries to pull with their consumer products isn't going to fly in the hyperscaler space, we (professional open source practitioners) fought very hard to get Microsoft and Oracle out of our product stack because in hyperscale...
  6. N

I see nothing... [admin@switch-e1c06c ~]# strings /opt/tms/bin/genlicense | grep -i copyright [admin@switch-e1c06c ~]# Nvidia needs to learn how to share and stop punching down, I think Linus Torvalds said it best. I can just as easily implement this new shared memory instruction set...
  7. N

Neggles, Thank you, I have another virgin EMC switch that I can try your instructions on, the trouble is this thread is now 62 pages long so this collective knowledge gets lost in the clutter. I have at least ten Mellanox SX switches in my lab so I'm definitely interested in continuing...
  8. N

The post just prior to this addressed cross flashing the SwitchX-2 ASCI that was preconfigured for EMC to that of a genuine Mellanox, in this post I'll address installing MLNX-OS onto the PPC460EX single board computer itself. For this we will tftp netboot using the MLNX-OS version 3.2.0100...
  9. N

I was a principal computer systems engineer but the government forced me into early medical retirement, so I have all the time in the world to play with this unicorn. I'm working on creating an entirely new shared memory instruction set architecture and I need complete control over the switching...
  10. N

Did I miss a step, doesn't seem to work... [admin@switch-e1c06c ~]# /opt/tms/bin/mellaggra _read_fru 1 0x51 1000 fru_backplate.bin Read fru 1 - 0x51, sz - 4096 to file fru_backplate.bin EEPROM 1 - 0x51 was not read. Also now that we have shell access, why not just install openocd and a full...
  11. N

I'm not entirely sure what to try next, I've tried using the /sbin/manufacture.sh script, it sorta works, but I don't know what storage device to input into the configuration menus... screenshots below.
  12. N

Good eye! That mfgusb-SX_PPC_M460EX-ppc-m460ex-20120306-222353.zip file is really important... you don't need an OTG USB cable, you can unzip the contents to ./mlnx460ex on your tftp server... but you have to change the ramdisk size though first...
  13. N

Ah, so I now have Ubuntu 14.04 installed on my switch.
  14. N

I've read through the first 17 pages and didn't see any useful information at all. My short term goal is of course to get MLNX-OS installed, but my long term goal is to create a custom Linux distribution similar to Cumulus, et. al. just for these PPC based SwitchX-2 switches. I have some...
  15. N

FS: APC Netshelter CX 24U (SOLD)

How deep is the rack, can this accommodate a 4U chassis that is 41.4 inches deep? The specifications document says 1130mm (44.48") internal depth, but is this impeded by anything such as foam? I need at least an extra 1.5 inches in the front and 2.5 inches in the back of the chassis for cables...
  16. N

FS: APC Netshelter CX 24U (SOLD)

Still available? Can you come down at all on the price? I'm in Austin, Texas.
  17. N

ServeTheHome's RAID MTTDL Calculator Bug and Suggestion Box

No, the "other" box still does not work. Furthermore, it is not clear what the input should be, do you want it in base 10 scientific notation? Nothing I put in the box seems to do anything. It doesn't work in Safari, Chrome, or Firefox.
  18. N

The Dell PowerEdge C6220 Thread

I don't think there is a way to recover from this error. Dell's DCS boards do not handle power failures during BIOS update very well at all. In fact, during my time working there one time we bricked like twenty C6320 boards because the rack PDU breaker tripped during an firmware update...
  19. N

rant about dealing with a-holes on eBay...

It's the cost of doing business. I've sold hundreds of items on eBay, most of the transactions go smoothly, but occasionally I get someone who is probably taking advantage of me. eBay will usually side with the buyer, there is little you can do about it. I've learn to just accept it and move on...