Search results

1. D

How to build a Dot HillFC 4824 equivalent?

@Patrick : Sorry. forgot to reply. I am looking at 3000MBps(with possible upgrade to 8000MBps) with 7-10TB storage for now which i can later expand to may be 20TB max. currently thinking between 10x 960gb 853T samsung SSD and Intel S4500 960Gb and 5x Samsung 863a 1.9TB
  2. D

Update: In the end, i managed to do 16x 2.5 sas using icydock cage in front of a fractal design XL. Everything was nice and good and then i hit the major problem - HEAT. now i am realizing I did something completely moronic and gonna find ways to switch to SSD raid. Aircon at 18degrees in my...
  3. D

I wouldn't need 2Gbps sustained rw. Its more like random rw. I read/write uncompressed movies 10bit-16bit HD-4K (as dpx image sequence)off the drive multiple streams. If it can do 4x the speed necessary for 4K uncompressed, i am a happy guy. My current rig - 16x sas 2.5 10K drives - gives me abt...
  4. D

I would ideally love to have SSD raid. Trouble is that i tried my first one using 850evo 1tb 4x on raid5 and i had constant troubles while running autodesk flame. this was last jan-feb. Since then i never looked at ssd raid again. My target is 2000MB/sec throughput for 4k uncompressed files r/w...
  5. D

targetting 10k drives 1.2tb ones. already got 600gb ones but i am hoping for much better performance. Hows the real world diff between 24x 1tb sata nearlines drives and 24x sas drives? i dont hv a 2.5" enterprise sata storage yet. So unable to compare. Is it worth the extra $$$ for sas drives...
  6. D

Pretty much trying to replicate dothill. I already have sas3 internally and I understand there r limitations to cable length in case i go external. I cant keep my machine far from coz UHD over long distance Displayport is trouble I hear; but storage can be elsewhere. I am hoping to keep this...
  7. D

>I want to build from parts off ebay and fresh new SAS drives. >FC 16Gbps out to my linux box with atto celerity fc card. >Is it possible to use an old chassis, a new backplane and FC cards? Also I would love to keep it whisper quite. Is it doable?? Or is it best to buy a supermicro chassis...
  8. D

16x 600GB 10K SAS in raid question

Curious why u say the write speed will be the speed of 1 drive?? I got few raid5s in my shop. 1 is 11x4tb enterprise with 1 hotspare giving me abt 1200MB/sec on read and write for 4Gb files. i never went past the 11drive setup so i was wondering if it would affect speed. but i do get speed of 10...
  9. D

16x 600GB 10K SAS in raid question

I finally got myself a fractal design define XL and 4x icydock bays for sas drives and 16x 2.5"m 600K seagate drives. another 15 more drives on the way. I am planning to have 16x sas on my areca 1882ix-16 and stripe 15 of em on raid5 inside centOS7.2 for use with flame. Will it be ok? I have...
  10. D

24x 2.5 600GB sas drives in 5.25 bays CMStormTrooper

Thankyou. This seems much better than icydock cages. Precisely what i was hoping for. just one clarification - this can hold the 15mm thick 2.5 drives right? or only thin 10mm ones? thanks again
  11. D

nope. only had the 24bay supermicro chasis for 3.5 drives. how heavy can it be? i see ~20kg in ebay listings
  12. D

sorry. forgot to mention, i need to keep it all within the case. so external cage is not an ideal solution. planning to move this around a bit.
  13. D

Hi All, I am looking at building a new rig with 24x sas drives 2.5" 15mm 600GB drives inside a CMStormtrooper case. I already know of the Icydock 4x2.5 bay for 15mm drives to slot into the 5.25 bays. Thats 80-100$ a cage. I was wondering if there is any known cheaper alternative that works in...
  14. D

Changing raid card: Supermicro 3108L to LSI 9631

Sorry took a while to update. Aftr 2 months frm the day we sent the faulty card, we got the new replacement card. Nd everything worked without any additional input. Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
  15. D

There was one failed card before the controller failed. Raid was rebuild already usin hot spare. So we send both the card nd hdd together for rma. Hvnt dropped the hdd bak in since hotspare took over. Will drop in the hdd nd test again. Thanks for asking that question. It could be the reason...
  16. D

Been waiting for rma for a long time Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
  17. D

thats about clearing foreign configuration right?? which means my existing raid will be wiped??? I got 2x raid5 in there with 11 drives and 1x hotspare for each. its a 24x 3.5 supermicro server. raidcontroller failed and dropped in new 9361 and tried to import the configuration. Meanwhile, i...
  18. D

I tried to import and I get this error. Anyone know what it means and what to do?? thanks
  19. D

My friends raid controller failed and we send back the card to replace but RMA is taking too long and the reseller gave us an LSI 9631. Is it suppose to autodetect the existing raid ? or do we have to import the raid into the new card? can it cause data loss?? suppose if we try to import and...
  20. D

areca 188x vs 168x vs 128x

not gonna buy. mostly curious to know the performance difference. thanks for sharing