Search results

1. P

Dell H830 SAS RAID and Dell PowerVault MD1200

I purchased the MD1200 and installed it a couple of weeks ago. It has 12 3TB Western Digital RED SATA drives each with a SATA-to-SAS interposer. I configured it with RAID50 and can report it works like a charm with my Dell PERC H830 SAS RAID controller. I originally planned to try it without...
  2. P

Looking for noise information on Dell MD1200/MD1220

I recently put an MD1200 on my R710 home server. The fan noise is very low, certainly no louder than the R710 itself (which I consider to be rather quiet for a rack server). If it's in the next room or behind a closet door you won't even notice it's there. Now would I want it running on the...
  3. P

Dell H830 SAS RAID and Dell PowerVault MD1200

I have a Dell R710 home server with a Dell PERC H830 SAS RAID adapter in it. I'm looking to add an MD1200 to my collection and trying to figure out whether it will work. I'm not concerned if it's supported. I only want to know if it will work at all. First off, Dell says the H830 won't work...
  4. P

Dell PERC H830 in PowerEdge R710 Server

What I really wish I had is a Dell R720xd or R730xd with 3.5" bay option for either. 2.5" drives are just way too expensive compared to 3.5" drives for less performance and less capacity. A 1.2TB SATA 2.5" drive costs as much or more than a 3TB SATA 3.5" drive. For a media server that just...
  5. P

You misunderstand. The stock PERC 6/i adapter remains in place and runs the eight 2.5" internal bays. The H830 has two external SAS ports which connect to my external DAS cabinet. It has eight 3.5" bays filled with Western Digital Red NAS 3TB SATA drives. I did this because the stock PERC...
  6. P

It's in one of the Gen2 PCI Express 8x slots on Riser 2. It won't fit in the integrated RAID controller slot. I don't have the part number of the motherboard but I know it's the latest generation motherboard the made for that chassis. The first generation board wouldn't run the hex-core...
  7. P

OK, got more info after testing. I powered the DAS cabinet up but pulled all the drives out first (it's a hot-swap cabinet). Booted H830 into the RAID controller menu just fine. Started attaching drives one at a time. H830 recognized all but two. No matter what drive I put in those slots, as...
  8. P

OK, you were right. The H830 will boot in the R710 once the H380 is updated to the latest firmware (25.5). But now I have another problem. I first tried booting with the H830 attached to the external DAS cabinet. As mentioned above, I've got eight 3TB Western Digital Red NAS SATA drives in...
  9. P

I'm flashing now, going from 25.2 to 25.5. I had to transplant the H830 to another system (my home-built system, Asus mobo, Core i5-4690K) to flash it. Getting ready to put it back in the R710. I'll let you know what happens. FYI, this whole setup is as follows: - PowerEdge R710, 72GB RAM...
  10. P

Greets to all. Managed to inherit a Dell PERC H830 SAS RAID controller, now trying to get it working in my home-based Dell PowerEdge R710 server. Dell's specs say the H380 has an LSI SAS 3108 chip in it. LSI/Avago/Broadcom says that chip -- and all the SAS RAID cards it makes based on that...