Search results

1. H

ZFS Advice for new Setup

Been busy... Still on my to-lab-do list.
  2. H

ZFS Advice for new Setup

I could give it a go in a few days, if no one beats me to it :)
  3. H

ZFS Advice for new Setup

Is there any reason to consider upgrading from CX2's and a 4036E to CX3's and w/e the cheap 18 port switch model# is? (Keeping in mind.. I'm limited to PCI 2.0 x8 slots) If the argument is better driver/firmware support, and VMWare 6.5 support, that's a pretty good argument.
  4. H

ZFS Advice for new Setup

we are all the support one should need :)
  5. H

Mellanox ConnectX-2 and ESXi 6.0 - Barely Working - Terrible Performance

NAS - VMware SRP Guide - Wiki³ http://www.mellanox.com/downloads/Software/MLNX-OFED-ESX-1.8.2.5-10EM-600.0.0.2494585.zip
  6. H

ZFS Advice for new Setup

Cleaned it up a little, particularly the IB Partitions section (step 8).
  7. H

ZFS Advice for new Setup

Take a peek @ NAS - VMware SRP Guide - Wiki³ I need to fix the section on IB Partitiosn (step 8) because i vastly misunderstood that step (obvious when you reed it) i.e. I have a switch, so the partitions.conf file for me on the hosts is unused/not-required. Besides that i'm getting closer
  8. H

Windows Server on eMMC

Not off the top of my head sorry, I know 'of' a lot more stuff, then I actually know :) Just enough to point people in the right direction, sometimes.
  9. H

Windows Server on eMMC

I'm just glad old school techniques still work like slipstreaming drivers in to windows iso images, to 'make stuff work' that doesnt work out of the box, so we as engineers can make 'extra special solutions' that otherwise wouldnt be viable. (Like a Hyper-V via mini-pc, booting from eMMC) :)...
  10. H

Windows Server on eMMC

Yeah the MicroSD to eMMC solution is just a band-aid for several linux's which can't create the boot region on the eMMC to begin with. It could theoretically work for Hyper-V, but not technically applicable to you. You are probably right on the Hyper-V 'core' installation missing some hardware...
  11. H

Windows Server on eMMC

My $0.02. I use the Odroid-XU4 with eMMC for several different mini-PC needs, including Linux & Windows. (they're great for KIOSKs, especially when you match them with a touchscreen and a 3D printed enclosure.) When considering just the pure reliability aspect of eMMC against MLC/SLC flash...
  12. H

ZFS Advice for new Setup

I'm much closer to being able to 'publish' a guide specific to CentOS/RedHat (latest) + Mellanox OFED (latest) + SCST (latest) w/ SRP Targets w/ ZoL Volumes for virtual SRP disks to ESX6 (working). Just need to have mpogr proof check it, and I might run it through both OS variants tomorrow to...
  13. H

ZFS Advice for new Setup

Unless MPOGR has done most of those tests and can save me the leg work with 'the gist' :)
  14. H

ZFS Advice for new Setup

I havent yet. Few things I was talking with a friend about potentially testing 'for fun' Tear down one of my ESX servers, and install Linux on it directly. Then i could test Linux>Linux and see how that compares to the Linux>ESX SRP benchmarks. Then rebuild Linux back to OmniOS, retest against...
  15. H

ZFS Advice for new Setup

The company I work for, will basically let me leverage our partner relationships for homeLab licensing. So Oracle/Redhat/Microsoft/other Licenses are available, (if I need one). Solaris 11.3 does have the drivers I need, "in theory" i'll have to do a whole new research path on the state of...
  16. H

ZFS Advice for new Setup

I very much plan to do the homework required for this. But I'll gladly build it, and hand it over to MPOGR for final editing, and publishing. Without his instruction I wouldnt understand it well enough to document it in the first place. And he's quite active on Mellanox user forums, where i've...
  17. H

ZFS Advice for new Setup

Some 'things' that confuse me in my overall math/benchmarking over the course of this project: The ZFS Server RAM appears to have more 'speed/power' # dd if=/dev/zero of=/home/humble/tempfs/testfile bs=1M count=4096 4096+0 records in 4096+0 records out 4294967296 bytes (4.3 GB) copied, 1.56663...
  18. H

ZFS Advice for new Setup

MASSIVE thanks to mpogr for helping me with the following setup, it wasnt easy, and I was failing for days without him, probably would have been weeks, or GTFU. But now I have something to work/test/compare with!!! :) RedHat 7.3 Server [Linux 3.10.0-514.el7.x86_64] --- Latest as of today...
  19. H

ZFS Advice for new Setup

Long couple days @ work building AWS clouds :) Finally got back to the NAS project... This time i'm messing around with RedHat Server 7.3 I have the Mellanox OFED 3.4.2 Drivers successfully installed I have the SCST 3.2.x package successfully installed. I have ZoL Version 0.6.5.8-1.el7_3.centos...
  20. H

ZFS Advice for new Setup

Initial compile failed, due to a Qlogic 2000 device not being present, removed that dir , and recompiled, so far so good. I have HowTo Configure SCST Block Storage Target Enabl... | Mellanox Interconnect Community for a reference of scst.conf And this old guide How to Set up an Infiniband SRP...