Search results

1. M

Avoid Samsung 980 and 990 with Windows Server

Interesting problem, got me intrigued a bit. I bought 980 pro few months ago, and no issues at all under Windows 2022. It's not boot disk, it has latest firmware, and it's in consumer motherboard with AMD CPU.
  2. M

Qotom Denverton fanless system with 4 SFP+

In some of the previous posts, someone mentioned that this unit will not work with DDR4 3200MHz. Just to share my experience with this. I got my unit couple of weeks ago, bought 2 sticks, 32GB 3200MHz Kingston Value RAM. Of course it didn't boot, even after waiting for few minutes. I hear beep...
  3. M

Qotom Denverton fanless system with 4 SFP+

Does anyone know what's the name for the SATA power connector on the MB of this mini PC? From what I can see on pictures and searching on the internet, looks like it's PH 2. Can anyone confirm this?
  4. M

Converting an executable to a service

If I remember correctly, NSSM will do the trick. non-sucking service manager or something like that. You can create, delete service, and start and stop of course
  5. M

Advice for processor upgrade (5700x, 5900x)

Recently I upgraded my sons PC from Ryzen 3 1200 to Ryzen 5 5500, mobo is same A320 chipset as yours. In World of Tanks with Ryzen 3, low graphics settings, frame rate around 60 fps. With Ryzen 5 5500, all graphics settins are on high, always above 120 fps! So, I would say do a simple upgrade...
  6. M

Optimizing a Windows Server and some challenges with Huawei specific items.

Having regular BSODs is not normal. From what you said some issue with drivers or hardware.
  7. M

Post highest hours HDD you have for the end of 2022

WDRed 1TB over 61000 PoH, no issues...yet
  8. M

Truenas Home Share with AD users

You can't do it from Windows. But it's not something you do all the time, you create shares you need and you don't touch them, it's not something you create, remove, recreate all the time. If you really want shares on Windows, create iSCSI on Truenas, mount it in Windows, then create shares.
  9. M

Truenas Home Share with AD users

This correct answer. I use this in same way and it works just fine, no issues at all.
  10. M

Hardware Failures in 2021 - Post yours!

Just took out 3 HDDs from the drawer, they were sitting there for like 2 years. They are dead. I guess they died of boredom.
  11. M

Dell business laptop quality issues?

Where I work, we are using HP business laptops. They also have the issues that you mentioned, batteries dying after few months of usage, swollen batteries, keyboards typing by themselves, overheating, cpu coolers all the at like 50-70%...
  12. M

I may get a few Atom Rangeley or Denverton appliances. I believe these devices may be good for Docker, but how do you install them baremetal?

Kubernetes is orchestration for docker containers and Rancher OS is stripped down, sorr of specialized version of Linux for orchestration of containers. Either way I recommend that you start with some Linux distribution and docker. This is basic to learn. All this being said, I never tried...
  13. M

I may get a few Atom Rangeley or Denverton appliances. I believe these devices may be good for Docker, but how do you install them baremetal?

You need full blown OS. Try with Ubuntu, install docker. There is no web ui by default. For this you can install docker container called portainer. It has web ui and everything you need to configure and run other docker containers.
  14. M

Simple Hyper-V Failover cluster

Hm, Azure site recovery, didn't even crossed my mind. And I agree for scripting. It should be fairly easy to do this.
  15. M

Simple Hyper-V Failover cluster

Either ise Starwind or Windows Datacenter edition and S2D. There is Hyper-V replica, just replicates VMs from one host to another but there is no automatic failover, it must be done manually.
  16. M

Bhyve vs proxmox

It might be the case. I would like to know the good answer.
  17. M

Bhyve vs proxmox

I would say this is due to underlying file system. On TrueNAS you have ZFS file system, on your Proxmox installation I guess you don't have it. I don't know exact technical difference but I think this is the reason. Similar thing is on Windows. In NTFS volume Hyper-V will create snapshots much...
  18. M

TrueNAS Core, estimated raw capacity vs final free capacity

I think this might be because of slop space allocation. Some space allocated for ZFS operations to be able to complete even if ZFS pool is near it's capacity. Try this calculator ZFS Capacity Calculator - WintelGuy.com. More on ZFS space allocation ZFS Storage Overhead - WintelGuy.com I am no...
  19. M

BackBlaze B2 real life stories

My use case is different than yours. I am backing up my personal files, there are no big files at all. Files are backed from TrueNAS to Backblaze, so I am using B2Cloud. For now no files are deleted. Probably in the future but not for now. Files are added irregularly, only few or quite a lot...
  20. M

Hyper-V vs Vsphere - my initial take

Good, you already have VMM. I don't think you need to migrate VMs from failover cluster manager. I haven't used VMM for about 5 years, but from what I remember it can all be done from VMM, as it should be proper way to do it. Since VMM version 2012 I think, there is shared nothing live...