Search results

1. D

Backing up for cheap

Crashplan doesn't allow the backup images to be uploaded (windows 7 style full image creation). However if you are using the server as a file history target, all of those files will be backed up.
  2. D

Backing up for cheap

I use Crashplan pro. Have it running on an Ubuntu VM and it allows me to backup network shares with unlimited storage for $12/month. Crashplan won't allow you to backup VM images or full computer backups, but for any sort of regular backup it has worked fine for me for the last few years.
  3. D

Supermico X9SRL-F Fan help

So I reset the BMC to defaults and I was unable to see if it was functioning correctly, as the fans were hitting lower speed errors even with the processor at 100%. I was using directions from here to set fan speed thresholds: How To: Change IPMI Sensor Thresholds using ipmiutil From the IPMI...
  4. D

Hello, Thanks for the feedback. I used the following to get list of all sensors: ipmiutil sensor -N 192.168.1.xxx -U username -P password -c Then set appropriate fan sensors with the following: ipmiutil sensor -N 192.168.1.xxx -U username -P password -n 43 -l 300 -h 1650 I will reset to...
  5. D

Good afternoon, I recently built a server using a supermicro X9-SRL-F and E5-2665 processor and have a Noctua HSF and Noctua case fans to keep things cool. I've already encountered the fan speed threshold issue and have adjusted speeds accordingly so fans don't keep ramping up and down, but now...
  6. D

Supermicro X9/X10/X11 Fan Speed Control

Very interesting chart. So is there a way to edit "TEMPERATURE _TARGET" so that the motherboard will start ramping up the CPU fans a little bit earlier? I don't have my computer in front of me, but does the "CPU temperature" max variable that can be altered via IPMItool the same as the...
  7. D

X9 IPMI Temperature Control

Yeah I've definitely considered going back to defaults, and using the low speed adapter or other means but I'd like to get the ipmi settings modified correctly if possible. Anyone have any experience with modifying the CPU ipmi threshold before I go that route? Sent from my Nexus 9 using Tapatalk
  8. D

X9 IPMI Temperature Control

I am in process of wrapping up a new build using a X9-SRLF motherboard and E5-2655 processor. I am using a Noctua heatsink which has low speed fans. I've successfully used the thread on Freenas forums to adjust the upper and lower fan speed limits so that the fans don't go to 100% when the...
  9. D

WTB: 16 GB Sticks of DDR3 ECC

Hello, I'm looking for qty. 2 -4 (4 preferred) 16GB DDR3 ECC RDIMMs for a Supermicro X9SRL-F. Please PM if you have any you'd like to sell.
  10. D

Sold Sold Sold

PM Sent for the DDR3 ECC Ram
  11. D

WTB - A lot (16+) sticks of DDR3 server memory

I have a stack of qty 10, 8 GB ddr3 10600 RDIMM's, located in SC
  12. D

Low Power Home Server Build

Thanks for the input everyone. I'm a little hesitant to go the Atom route, as I'd like to have a little headroom to do additional VM's as necessary. I'm leaning more towards the Xeon E3 as that looks like that will have plenty of performance without emptying my wallet. Question, Can you do...
  13. D

Low Power Home Server Build

Build’s Name: Home Server Build Operating System/ Storage Platform: ESXi with FreeNAS, pfsense potentially with web cache, Windows 7, and Windows 10 Hosts. CPU: Need Input, Motherboard: Need Input Chassis: Fractal Design Define R4 (Max ATX sized motherboard) Drives: USB Boot for ESXi...