Search results

1. P

Troubleshooting GPU passthrough ESXi 6.5

Yep, that PCIe USB 3.0 card has worked great for ESXi passthrough since the original HighPoint 1144A card back in 2011. Allowed me to pass all sorts of fun stuff through to VMs, like >2TB arrays before 2TB virtual disks were possible. Told HighPoint booth folks at CES 2012, they seemed happy...
  2. P

Socket FCBGA 1667 aftermarket cooling??

Same here, abused my SYS-5028D-TN4T overnight last night (heavy reading from multiple SSDs and HDDs with medium CPU load for hours), still no higher than 60C for the CPU, so I'm not pursuing more fans (noise). If anything, I'll go the other way, if somebody finds a way to lower the chassis fan's...
  3. P

Thanks guys. I'm not having any particular problem (nor have I seen any with the 4 other identical systems I briefly had my hands on), but was more curious if folks are getting a sense of what the normal CPU temps at idle and under load are, for the Xeon D-1540 in this SYS-5028D-TN4T (Web into...
  4. P

JimPhreak, curious if you wound up replacing your paste, and if so, which type.
  5. P

Intel Xeon D-1500 Series Discussion

FYI, I was asked "SM951 is not 1 type. is yours MZVPV (NVMe) or MZHPV (AHCI)?" Excellent question, and a very good point. I'll be testing 1.0b UEFI boot from an Intel 750 Series next, which is NVMe. I should have mentioned that my SM951 is MZHPV128HDGM (pictured here), yep, the AHCI model, not...
  6. P

FYI, I installed the 5028D-TN4T/X10SDV-TLN4F BIOS 1.0b, then installed Windows 10 to my M.2 SM951 with BIOS in UEFI mode. It went fine, bootable. Curious if you have more info the bug. Thanks!
  7. P

Supermicro CSE-721TQ-250B - Has anyone used?

Just got my Supermicro SuperServer 5028D-TN4T on order last night (it uses this chassis). Should know soon if I like the case design, and how the system does with VMware ESXi 6.0 and 64GB of RAM.
  8. P

Following every twist and turn in this thread, very promising for ESXi 6.0. The excitement for Xeon D is quite evident, especially by those of us who have wanted to break past 32GB affordably for many years, in an efficient form factor.
  9. P

Patrick, you having one heck of a good day, and we thank you for it. Great bunch of articles about very promising new platform: can't wait to upgrade my VMware vSphere 6.0 / ESXi 6.0 (soon GA) server past that pesky 32GB boundary, affordably left running 24x7 (running OpenVPN, etc.)
  10. P

Anyone have any thoughts on the newer Adaptec RAID adapters?

Thank you for the very useful info ptr727, and very much looking forward to your findings, as far as performance.
  11. P

LSI 9265-8i & VMware ESXi (health monitoring, MegaRAID UI in a VM, & CacheCade 2.0)

Yes, no insight was given into why replacing the key actually seems to have fixed the issue with not being able to enable read and write caching on my RAID5.
  12. P

LSI 9265-8i & VMware ESXi (health monitoring, MegaRAID UI in a VM, & CacheCade 2.0)

Finally, resolved this issue, replacing my LSI00290 CacheCade Pro 2.0 hardware key did the trick. Wrote up details here: "LSI 9265-8i CacheCade Pro 2.0 is finally using my Samsung 830 256GB SSD for RAID5 read and write caching, and great performance"...
  13. P

Had one LSI engineer discourage me from 2 SSDs for CacheCade for RAID0 or RAID1. But I didn't get a solid reasoning why, and I have nothing in writing. Anyhow, good to hear you're having better luck with your OCZ Solid3 SSDs (which firmware on there?), than I've had with my OCZ Vertex 4...
  14. P

When you say manually, exactly how? A couple of months ago, I tried everything. This recent attempts in the YouTube video I mentioned above, I didn't bother with trying every which way. Are you saying you've configured CC2 for read and write caching on a RAID5 or RAID6? If so, using the...
  15. P

Yeah, understood, they got RAID0 read and write caching capable firmware much earlier on the 9260, such as my friend Greg Welch: http://homeservershow.com/forums/index.php?/topic/3791-playing-with-cachecade-20/ RAID5 caching compatible firmware, to enable the CC Pro 2.0, came much later for the...
  16. P

Naturally, that sort of community effort to resolve issues is part of the tremendous value of forums like this, which are time consuming to create/moderate/maintain, but so worthwhile. It's interesting that a vendor as big as LSI doesn't seem inclined to run their own forum, choosing to go with...
  17. P

Unfortunately, no joy, seen in this YouTube video I just uploaded: http://youtu.be/Doqg52KviF8 Still unable to turn on write caching, with this new 23.9.0-0018 (aka 1998) firmware. Well, not with my 256GB Samsung 830 anyway, which is admittedly not on LSI's list of compatible SSDs. I'll also...
  18. P

DBayPlaya2k3, forgot to mention, wow, thank you so much for the parts lists and details above! Very much looking forward to hearing more about how your install goes, particular that promising Intel NIC, and the LSI 9265-8i, of course.
  19. P

DBayPlaya2k3, thank you so much for sharing your complete saga, great info, and great detail! I will soon be sharing mine, once I give LSI a fair shake to go over some of my issues, verifying what I say is technically accurate. They've just been way behind lately, but frankly, so have I. At...
  20. P

mobilenvidia: So glad you shared your experiences with us here. Great time to thank you for that fantastic guide/monsterpiece you called "LSI RAID Controller and HBA Complete Listing Plus OEM Models"...