Search results

1. D

FS: Netgear XS708E 10Gb 8 Port switch (x2)

I have recently upgraded my home lab networking equipment so i have a few switches that i no longer need. I wanted to give the STH community first dibs before i posted them on ebay. These switches are priced to move and would be the great starting of a homelab (hence the reason i orignally...
  2. D

FS: ASRock C2550D4I + 8GB Crucial PC3-12800 Unbuffered ECC Memory

I am selling a lightly used (less than 6 months) Asrock C2550D4I motherboard + 8GB of Crucial PC3-12800 UDIMM ECC Memory. The 8core version of this same board has been reviewed on STH here: http://www.servethehome.com/Server-detail/asrock-c2750d4i-atom-c2750-storage-platform-review/ This was...
  3. D

Question: How to shutdown multiple ESXI Hosts with 1 UPS???

Question for anyone out there with a home lab setup. How do you handle shutting down multiple ESXI hosts with 1 UPS? If I only had 1 host it would be easy just use USB but like most of you I have more than 1 host. I have dome some research into the topic and this seems the...
  4. D

infiniband 10G ethernet confusion (it just works???)

Ok so question for the ib users on the forum. I recently installed 3 mellanox connect x-2 EN adapters 2 in VMware esxi 5.5 hosts and 1 in a server 2012 R2 storage back end. After plugging in the cables and configuring the ip's for the point to point setup everything just worked. I even plugged...
  5. D

SFP+ Cable Question for Mellanox Infinaband?

I recently purchased 3 Mellanox Connectx-2 EN Adapters and then mistakenly purchased the incorrect cables. My adapter seems will call for SFP+ to SFP+ instead of CX4 (I Mistakenly Purchased CX4 to CX4). Question is does Mellanox Connectx-2 Adapters require Mellanox cables or can any...
  6. D

Fibre Channel Target?

Anyone know of any way to make a Fiber Channel Target in Windows? I know starwind has some software but its only for the iniator and i need something for the target. Yes I know open-filer and various linux distros will make a target but im curious of if anything works for windows...
  7. D

Anywhere to get cheap UDIMM ECC RAM?

I need to buy a 1600Mhz 32GB kit (or 2 16GB kits) of UDimm DDR3 ECC memory for a few SuperMicro Servers. It looks like this ram is not common so its genrally expensive and not the easiest to find. Cheapest I have found is here: PROVANTAGE: Crucial Technology CT2KIT102472BA160B 16GB Kit...
  8. D

Rebuilding my ESXI Home Lab | A multi staged Project (with photos)

Hey guys, Im not really the most eloquent with words but for the last couple of weeks I have been wanting to rebuild the ESXI Home lab. So I have been posting random questions getting advice from many of the great members here in thoughts of formulating a plan. There are many things...
  9. D

Do Supermicro haswell motherboards require ECC?

I am looking to build another ESXI host for my home lab and thinking of using server grade board. I found the Supermicro MBD-X10SLL-F-O on newegg for a decent price but says it "supports ECC memory". Does this mean it "requires ECC" or that you can use ECC or regualar DIMMS...
  10. D

Whats the diffrence between ConnectX-2 VPI and ConnectX-2 EN Cards

Trying to figure out what I need to purchase to play with IPoIB and looks like I have a choice of 2 cards for the ConnectX-2 series. ConnectX-2 VPI or ConnectX-2 EN So anyone know what is the diffrence besides the price? Looking at using these for stoarge network between 1 ESXi...
  11. D

Any guides to setting up IPoIB for ESXI ?

Hello does anyone have any guides to setting up Infiniband for ESXI 5.1 or later (current on 5.5). I would like to explore this technology more as its a cheap altentive to 10GE but I have not found any good guides out there explaining whats required ect. Some folks around here talk about...
  12. D

Question for Community: Cheap Storage Backend for ESXI 5.5

I am looking to redo my current ESXI Box that I use for learning and home systems. Please help me with some ideas. --Purpose--- I would like to build a shared storage server for vmware that is capable of moving data at around at least 4Gbps and has the capability to service 2 hosts...
  13. D

Hardware ISCSI NIC Question

(Mods Please feel free to move if this is the wrong forum to ask this question). Hello, I am currently in the process of trying to test ISCSI. ---------------- My Setup: 1 ESX-I Host with LSI 9265-8I (20 TB of storage) 1 Synology DS1812 (32 TB of storage Raw) --------------...
  14. D

LSI 9265-8I Questions - New Build Complete

Hello I am new here and just finished up a server build for a vmware whitebox. I purchased the LSI 9265-8I and I would like to get a battery backup unit for this card. However I now see per this forum that there are many compatible OEM parts that are just relabled LSI Parts. Questions...