Search results

1. T

How to keep Proliant FW/SW/drivers current between SPP releases?

Just a quick update here after some googling. Why is this info so hard to find on their site? Since I'm running the HPE image of ESXi it should have all the tools installed (WBEM/CIM based). But as far as I can tell there's no plugin for the ESXi webclient to give me what I want from within the...
  2. T

How to keep Proliant FW/SW/drivers current between SPP releases?

Not sure if this is the right subforum, but I need some best practices advice on how to keep my server up to date. I've been in this industry for the last ~20 years, mainly as a software developer but had my years doing server support too way back in the late 90s. Now I'm a freelance devloper...
  3. T

What will happen with ZFS now Solaris is gone?

Ooops, thank you for pointing that out for me.
  4. T

Thanks for the trip down memory lane, history is always nice to read about for "new" people like myself. It saddens me to see Solaris go, I would like to stick with it as long as it makes sense on my homelab. I'll probably name my storage vm for Solaris just for sentimental reasons. Let's say I...
  5. T

"For those unaware, Oracle laid off ~ all Solaris tech staff yesterday in a classic silent EOL of the product." (from twitter a few days ago, sorry if this is old news) Source: Simon Phipps on Twitter And Oracle Finally Killed Sun My main concern is what will happen with ZFS? Will Solaris go...
  6. T

[SOLVED] - DL380 Gen9, iLO_300_DriveStatusChanged_Failed

Solved! See the recap in post #1 To sum up this has been nearly 4 weeks of "downtime" with problemsolving. I've learnt a great deal about the server and HPE support in a positive way. They have been very active both calling me and sending me emails. But nearly 4 weeks of "downtime" is not a...
  7. T

Replaced the backplane, the cables and the p440ar. And as I predicted, the bug is still here. Everything is green/ok on the server and in ESXi. But in the monitoring part in ESXi random bays get marked for failure. And after a second reboot of the server it sent a new service request. The...
  8. T

One step closer to a plausible theory. I've done some more testing and I think I've found the pattern. I've ruled out third party ssd's since every tray and disk now is 100% original HP parts with latest firmware. At all times every hardware status in iLO and ESXi is green/ok/normal. Even when...
  9. T

Thank you, really appreciate all this info. But don't do it unless you need to know for your self. I'll wait for the outcome of this bug hunt, it may sort it self out if HPE replaces any faulty hardware. If not, I'll test the H240ar (cheaper to replace that instead of 6 drives w/trays). Hoping...
  10. T

Support came back with nothing from the AHS log. They requested the ADU report, waiting for the result. In the meantime I've used ESXi some more. I'm using this image: VMware-ESXi-6.5.0-OS-Release-5146846-HPE-650.9.6.5.27-May2017.iso This is 6.5.0b as far as I cen tell, wondering when 6.5.0d...
  11. T

Thank you for the cable information. If the existing cables can be used that would be great if only to avoid the trouble to fit the new ones. I've not heard back from HPE today so I guess I'll wait a few more days before I decide what to do. I forgot to mention that the tray revisions should...
  12. T

As expected HPE support had nothing new on this bug so they requested an AHS log. I uploaded it and used AHS Viewer (on their web page) but it has no information on this bug. There's no sight of the service request and the fault detection analytics returns with "No server faults detected!". The...
  13. T

Deregister the server is an option although it shouldn't be needed. If I do I'll miss out on the SPP and such as the only support agreement that I've got is the one that came with the server. Since this seems to be a bug and not a real failure of any hardware I guess this is the best option for...
  14. T

Thanks, I really appreciate any help here. I've tried to reproduce the bug today to no avail. There's no apparent pattern other than the random service request as long as all 8 disks are present. Yes it's gen8/gen9 smart trays. Since there's no connection between the disks/trays I guess the...
  15. T

Is it the tray revision? I had access to the server today, so I rotated the disks randomly and booted it. Straight away it sent a new service request! So I figured I'd do a round of "debugging". First thing, I put it in maintenance mode (iLO - remote support - service eventes - maintenance...
  16. T

I did pull the drives and put them back just in case one of them was badly seated. I'll try once more and rotate them to see if that helps. Next report is scheduled for 1. July so I'm hoping everything will be ok. It would be nice to be able to deactivate those two reports but I've only found...
  17. T

According to HPE support this is just a "hiccup". I find that hard to believe, but I was asked to wait for the third incident before they would look further into this error. I did generate the ADU diagnostic report for the P440ar and there was no error at all for any of the disks. My guess is...
  18. T

Problem solved! A short recap, also see the summary in this threads post #18 here. After updating the server with the latest SPP and populating box3 with 8 sata hdd's, the first service request was sent from the server and HPE support called me. Before this I've used the server with two ssd's...
  19. T

[SOLVED] DL380 UEFI shell USB key not working

Proliant DL380 Gen9 UEFI shell What's the trick to get a usb key to show up in the UEFI shell of this server? I've tried different sizes, ntfs, exfat, gpt. Also tried different USB ports around the server. During boot it lists the usb key so I know that the system can detect it. And in the...
  20. T

Lenovo ThinkServer SA120 - Rackmount DAS

I guess the reason the PSU fan is at 4k rpm is due to a different fan. Also doesn't need to pull out that much air from the front, just expel the heat from the CPU. I understand the need for both air flow and pressure to cool the SA120 full of disks. Flow is "easy" done without noise, but...