Search results

1. M

Good / cheap UPS with networking

Could anyone recommend something < $300 used or new in a 1U form factor, and with network functionality that can signal loss of power? If there's something that can hook into esxi that'd be ideal but I'll learn more about that.
  2. M

Release dates for Xeon d 2700 CPU’s and supermicro mbs?

I’m under the impression that these are not out yet. Or am I mistaken? Any vague or otherwise guesses about availability timing?
  3. M

WTT - I have one S3700 800GB, would like to trade for two S3700 400GB models

Anyone interested in a trade? I believe the writes to be very low. I'm willing to check the writes amounts, but let's leave that as a final step if you're interested in the trade. I live in San Diego but we can exchange via mail. I don't have any trading profiles but I'm happy to verify with...
  4. M

Confusion around 10nm intel leaked benchmarks

After reading an article and then running into a YouTube video about the mystery I came here thinking there might be some fun speculation. Is there a thread I’m missing?
  5. M

Physically securing PCI-E expander in desktop case

I've got a Xeon D MB with single PCI-E slot that I'm planning on putting in a mid-large desktop case (so I can have 8+ HDDs and keep it quiet). From the Xeon D thread I understand I can use a Supermicro PCI-E expander (that may not be the right term) so that I can have two HBAs. But the...
  6. M

Adventures with vSphere 6.5 and Raid-0

This is kind of a build log with some mistakes. I enjoy hearing from others on this kind of thing so thought I'd record my mistakes! Recently got one of the Supermicro Xeon-D setups, the one with the D-1567 which is 12-core 2.1 to 2.7 GHz. One of the first things I needed it for was an...
  7. M

WTB S3700 100GB

Edit - I'm all set for now (picked some up). I'm looking for two of these. I might also be interested in a 480GB S3500. For the 100GB S3700, looking to pay fair market (comparable to ebay) which is about $70 shipped. I'll go a little higher for STH members if you feel it's appropriate. I...
  8. M

Looking for FreeNas hardware advice

My intent is to run a FreeNAS 11 on a dedicated server, no virtualization. So a dedicated server... So where I'm stuck is whether to get a used Supermicro X9 generation mobo and CPUs and RAM (heck, I'd buy the whole thing already built with the exceptions of the drives/adapter cards/additional...
  9. M

Supermicro X11 - have you found that they ship with the 2.0 BIOS?

I'm considering purchasing an X11 board with an Xeon E3 v6 processor which is supported by the MB with a BIOS update. The trap I'm trying to avoid is the situation where the MB ships with the earlier BIOS and won't be able to boot it because I don't have a spare E3 v5 part to bring it up for a...