Search results

1. T

Supermicro H12DSI-NT6 Troubleshooting

Well, as it turns out, this was only the start of my problems. I ordered a brand new H12DSI-NT6 that appeared to be working fine, but turned out only to be the start of a long nightmare. As soon as I attempted to get Linux installed on it, I ran into a long series of issues that are documented...
  2. T

Chenbro-Cleversafe-Slicestor-1440

Don't suppose anyone has unraveled the alarm mystery? My PSUs all are capable of booting the machine when used singly, but I still havea persistent alarm. Unfortunately, the front panel alarm button needs to be pulsed to silence the alarm, so you can't just permanently close it.
  3. T

Anyone running Linux on Supermicro EPYC H12?

I was right there with you, which is why I ordered a new board in parallel. However, new CPUs came in today and the damn thing is now working. As I mentioned in the original post, this is my second H12DSi-NT6. The first one wouldn't post or provide power any any fans. I had it turned "on"...
  4. T

I ordered new CPUs (same model) and the Gigabyte MZ72-HB0. I'll test the new CPUs in this board once I receive them.
  5. T

No, same issue. Have to pass in the same kernel parameters to get into installer (otherwise kernel panics). I'm not sure if it's a board, cpu, or memory issue. Memory passes memtestx86 in the the board. I'd say it has to be the board given that I've tested two different CPUs in a single...
  6. T

48-core 7642. That's somewhat promising to hear. Did you have to go through any gymnastics to get it working or did it boot up for you without a problem? What version of Ubuntu are you on?
  7. T

Yes, you can't treat those compatibility tables as gospel. CPU support is part of mainline kernel and Ubuntu kernels going back to 16.04 support Rome. Those tables just show what's been tested and known to work. For example, Super Micro has entries on that table where a board shows support...
  8. T

Yeah, I'm aware of that and posted that same link above. There's a difference between supported/validated and "should work."
  9. T

Has anyone had any success getting Linux running on a H12 board? I'm on my second H12DSi-NT6 and have had no end of trouble getting Linux running on this damn thing. The OS compatibility table (Super Micro Computer, Inc. - Support Home) is pretty sparse. I'm trying to run Ubuntu on a Rome...
  10. T

Motherboard was bad (lesson learned on "open box" box from Newegg). Ordered another one, and it resolved all of these issues.
  11. T

Well, one other data point. I attached an LED to to the Power Fail LED, and it lights up when pressing the power button... I did remove CPU2 in preparation for return, but now wondering if may be there's some kind of incompatibility with the power supply I'm using. I know the power supply...
  12. T

I should also note that when the power button is pressed, besides the solid green LED between JF2 and JUID in that picture above (lower right of JF1), the CPUs are definitely powered. They got pretty toasty (noctua heatsink fans don't turn on) the first time I pressed the power switch and it...
  13. T

Yeah, all three of those are connected. I'm currently just trying to get it running on a bench, so no chassis (just sitting on standoffs). I'm currently using a Seasonic Titanium Ultra SSR-T1000TR (1000W).
  14. T

I'm having trouble getting a system that I'm working on to boot. Motherboard: SupermicroH12DSI-NT6: H12DSi-NT6 | Motherboards | Super Micro Computer, Inc. CPU (qty 2): EPYC Rome 7642 48 core Memory (qty 16): Micron MTA36ASF8G72PZ-3G2E1 64GB (1X64GB) 2RX4 PC4-3200AA DDR4-25600R RDIMM CPU and...
  15. T

Anyone else run into alarm issues? My chassis has been fine for the last year, but recently started emitting a constant alarm. All power supplies are plugged in and appear to be functioning.
  16. T

Well, I think I discovered the best way. You can order alignment washers that fit in the square rack holes and then move the rack ears to the inside of the rack. Unfortunately, they're not widely available online and are pretty expensive (especially after they gouge you on shipping): Versa...
  17. T

My rails are the same. What's the trick to securing them to square hole racks? 10-32 cage nuts don't work well since the bolts bottom out on the rails before the bus are pulled in tight.
  18. T

I contacted Chenbro and they informed me that you need to use CB3 (right most connector) for it to work. It's working now. Oddly, I wasn't using CB3 on backplane 1, but I switched it to CB3 and both are now working.
  19. T

Hmmm... Not sure. I'm using these LSI cables: LSI LSI00400 0.6 meter internal cable SFF8643 to SFF8087 (mini SAS HD to mini SAS)--Avago Technologies-Newegg.com I have have a pair of them to connect port 1 of the card to backplane 1 and the other for port 2 to backplane 2. I'd think if it was...
  20. T

Anyone know what would keep the drive indicator lights from working on one of the backplanes? I can locate drives via the LEDs on the first backplane, but it doesn't work on any of the slots in the second backplane. Card I'm using is an LSI 9361-8i.