Search results

1. M

Rebuild server room

Hi, I have a Minisforum UM773 lite with proxmox running. This is a test setup but I look for a replacement / ideas. The idea was to replace the UM773 lite with 3 Minisforum MS-01 what I told in the ECC non ECC memory thread. I like to build an energy efficient Proxmox cluster. I also looking...
  2. M

Proxmox Ceph and ECC vs non ECC

Thanks for the heads up!
  3. M

I've decided to go the Minisforum MS-01 route and not to build myself a system. The MS-01 has no ECC memory if I'm correct but I like the idea of a small barebone system. Thank you all for your input. :)
  4. M

Thank you for the explanation! Much appreciated. It is just a homelab. I like to host a couple of vm's on a Promox cluster with Ceph. Some storage for personal data and a movie. I'm making plans for a new homelab now.
  5. M

Has ECC memory any value on a Proxmox Ceph cluster or is non ECC good enough for an homelab?
  6. M

Minisforum MS-01 PCIe Card and RAM Compatibility Thread

I'm also interested in the MS-01. Has anyone running it with Proxmox and Ceph?
  7. M

New build to host my Proxmox hypevisor

Of course I'm considering my options, and still learning every day. What if I use shared storage with Proxmox and create an high availability cluster? I can create a ZFS pool of 2,5 SSD drives. :) If I go this route then an 1Tb NVME is enough in my Proxmox hypevisor. Samsung 980 Pro (zonder...
  8. M

You can choose between TLC, and QLC. I read that TLC is more durable as QLC. It is also faster. I think with I/O of VM's and the durability maybe better to choose for TLC? Although they are more expensive. Samsung 980 Pro (met heatsink) 2TB kopen? - Prijzen - Tweakers
  9. M

Thank you for the reply! With enterprise level NVME do you think of Intel, Samsung?
  10. M

Hi, I'm consider the next build to host my Proxmox hypevisor. I now have an Xeon E5-2699v3. It's old and power hungry. AMD Ryzen 9 7900 Boxed ASRock Rack B650D4U Inter-Tech IPC 2U-2098-SL Kingston ValueRAM KVR48U40BD8-32 Corsair MP600 PRO 1TB Corsair MP600 PRO 2TB Maybe I build a...
  11. M

Hi Guys! I'm new here :)

About speaking of electric bills that is why I also looking into mini/micro pc/servers. I'm a member of these forums for awhile but been never very active. I think I''ll remember the topic poster from the WHS (Windows home server) time. Is that correct?
  12. M

Mini pc's the route to go?

Thank you for sharing. I now have 2 unRAID servers running, but for file management I want to buy a Synology NAS. For my other services I'm leaning to micro.mini pc's. I'll like to have a Proxmox cluster for the experimenting, and also running some Flux nodes etc. Second I like to have a Plex...
  13. M

Cool! I'll have a look on eBay only not sure if it is interesting for European citizen?
  14. M

Hi, I'm thinking of moving from rack servers to mini pc's. I want to run Proxmox with a few vm's for nodes, and also some docker vm's. Also I want a separate mini pc for Plex service. I guess these mini pc's are way more power efficient as my rack servers. Electric became expensive here in...
  15. M

Docker on PhotonOS?

I'm now running unRAID with containers but I'm very interested how ESXi this does...
  16. M

Planning on building a homelab

Thanks TuxDude for clarifying I misunderstood this. This confirms that I have very little knowledge of ESXi... Is it possible with VMware Fusion (Mac user) to play a bit with ESXi? I know its possible with VMware workstation.
  17. M

Domain name registrar - any recomendations

Namecheap user too!
  18. M

Hi Robert thank you for your explanation/comment! Yeah indeed I read on Tweakers that there is option for a VMUG license. Good to know if you choose the ESXi route. One of the things I dislike about ESXi is that you need a VM with vSphere for licensing. Licensing okay but why using a VM? If...
  19. M

Hi, I'm starting a new project I want to build a home lab where I want to virtualize most stuff. Probably I'm going to buy new hardware and use the Xeon D platform. Also I want to upgrade my network. I'm considering Ubiquiti network gear. I already have UAP AC Pro and it does it's job okay...