Search results

1. M

A reseller like GoHardDrive or ServerPartDeals in EU?

OTOH Interbolt seems to not want to sell on eBay unless you give them a VAT number. Some flexibility could be warranted on both sides here..
  2. M

A reseller like GoHardDrive or ServerPartDeals in EU?

Have also purchased multiple times from iuppiterbv. Nothing bad to say about them; they even answer messages on weekends. Their normal prices may not be the hottest but there are some really good deals to be made on their lot auctions.
  3. M

Why do U2 drives use so much power compared to M2?

I'd like to disagree with you here. Dells from the NVME-enabled r730xd (so basically their first system with U.2) onwards support hotswap just fine at least in Linux. However HPE has some server models (dl380 gen9?) where hotswap support is broken on the hardware level and they basically said...
  4. M

Used SM863 slow write performance issue

A secure erase might indeed help for a while. This is however a fairly unreliable fix for the various Samsungs of this era: the erase may help for a year or a day. This is not the only drive model affected by these issues.. Sorry, don't know the details of exact drive models and how they can...
  5. M

Used SM863 slow write performance issue

Flash the drive firmware if it is old. There was an update a while back that disables some endurance protection mechanism that is causing a lot of speed-related issues at this point of the drives' life. https://www.dell.com/support/home/en-us/drivers/driversdetails?driverid=f4j0v
  6. M

Tracking Down Proxmox 8 Hardware Error Reporting

This does not really sound like anything related to Proxmox. That is a generic Linux error. That's very likely going to be a memory issue of some kind.. Does the remote management on the board give any useful hints?
  7. M

Samsung/Oracle F320 3.2TB NVME AIC $209.99 OBO

That's a great price. Too bad US only shipping..
  8. M

Looks good. The 41C temperature is pretty decent too; I have something like similar in a server chassis even if you ramp up the cooling a bit. These just run warmer than most.
  9. M

Generic 'LSI style' SAS HBA brackets work fine. They're rather inexpensive on ebay etc.
  10. M

You'd probably want to keep an eye on it the same way as you would monitor reallocated sector count elsewhere.. Not quite the same thing but ideally you don't want either value changing. It's all about how you value your data and how paranoid you are ;)
  11. M

Spare is the space used for fixing various issues (bad blocks, performance etc) with. It is not a part of the nominal space (i.e. 3.2T in this case). Most if not all SSDs have have such an area but NVME drives tend to report it better than SATA/SAS in my experience. Basically 84% spare...
  12. M

That's the second latest firmware. Your numbers look good. 6% used is nothing. The one I got is also 6% used but unfortunately shows 84% of spare available..which isn't so great. Not too worried though as this is my cold spare (have a couple of these in use and wanted a third one should one fail).
  13. M

This is more or less what you should do with all SSDs these days..there have been so many bugs from many vendors, although especially Samsung seems to have a rather bad track record there..
  14. M

In case someone is wondering..generic high-profile "LSI" pcie brackets work with these.
  15. M

You need the firmware first, it's only available (officially) with an Oracle support contract. To update you could do something like this (modify device name and firmware version to suit): sudo apt-get install nvme-cli sudo nvme list sudo nvme fw-download /dev/nvme0 --fw=MS1PC2DD3.IR3Q.fw sudo...
  16. M

Title of the thread changed again and link modified. However the current auction is US and Canada only while the previous one at the very least had shipping to Europe..downgrade there.
  17. M

Someone must have nabbed a large amount of them as when I posted this I was still the only one who had bought one. The famous STH effect?
  18. M

Good catch. They definitely need proper active airflow and even with that they can get fairly warm. If you compare the F320 to say their predecessor "F160" (Intel P3608) the Intel runs very significantly cooler.
  19. M

Samsung/Oracle F320 NVME 3.2TB AICs listed at $209.99 but they accepted my offer of $173. Should probably have bought more than one but even this is going to be a spare... They seem to have 20 of these. EDIT: relisted due to error in listing at: https://www.ebay.com/itm/134362911213
  20. M

Fujitsu TX1320 M3 - Cheap low power server (barebone)

That sounds like you got the SAS cable to connect the motherboard to the disk backplane. Mine did not come with that. However mine did come with the front plastics, which I guess some others' systems are missing..